CBJ Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Listening to portys podcast, he says jarmo told him they like Spencer Martin but are still closely watching the goalie market on waivers and trade. So maybe out Martin down as the backup in pencil not pen
I heard that too. This is not a surprise and fully expect someone better than Martin is going to come available.
Why in the world would they waive either of them? Both have actual trade value. We’re not talking about Marcus Bjork caliber players.
I agree with this. My comment simply stated if choosing between the two Boq would be more attractive to other teams if waived.
To be honest I hope they just roster 8 defensemen. Someone is bound to get hurt soon-ish anyways. I haven’t looked into what exactly that means for the forwards, but I’d prefer to not lose Blanks.
It'd be foolish to believe all of our d-men will stay healthy and nobody misses games through October.

Reactions: CBJx614

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Listening to portys podcast, he says jarmo told him they like Spencer Martin but are still closely watching the goalie market on waivers and trade. So maybe out Martin down as the backup in pencil not pen
Ideally we take Peeke or other assets and look at a goalie trade. Everywhere else has lots of depth, there needs to be a plan if/when Elvis becomes unplayable.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
All CBJ players waived yesterday cleared and are off to Cleveland

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Driedger is on waivers as a goalie. I think that’s one we should pass on

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Driedger is on waivers as a goalie. I think that’s one we should pass on

I don’t know much about him but his brief NHL stats look good so curious why you’d pass. To acquire him would need to be a trade with retention, but we have some capital. Would he be an upgrade over Martin? (Or even Elvis :cool:)

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I don’t know much about him but his brief NHL stats look good so curious why you’d pass. To acquire him would need to be a trade with retention, but we have some capital. Would he be an upgrade over Martin? (Or even Elvis :cool:)

He’s making $4.5M this year, with $3.5M cap hit. I don’t think he’s the one we sink all of our remaining cap space into.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hard trade to do without taking any money back. I'm not expecting anything

It's also a roster space issue. I bet Vancouver would love to trade Myers+ for Peeke. Myers only has 1 million left in actual salary before his deal ends at the end of this year. But that doesn't get us any closer to relieving the glut.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
One of the keys for getting to playoffs will be getting good results out of Fantilli and KJ. If the current 3rd line doesnt start generating more puck posession, I'd like to see the two being integrated into top 6 with the players who'll make space and get them the puck in the o-zone

KJ - Laine - X
Johnny - Fantilli - X

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
The most difficult decision for coaches and management will likely be on defense, where David Jiricek, the No. 6 pick in 2022, has clearly been one of the Blue Jackets’ top six defensemen during the three-week camp and exhibition season.

But the Blue Jackets have to keep Jiricek’s development as the priority, which means they have to decide if he would have a big enough role in Columbus to justify putting him in the NHL as a 19-year-old, or if his development should continue in AHL Cleveland, at least at the start of the season.

“It’s a very good question,” Vincent said, “and it’s a question we ask ourselves all the time.

“There is value to him practicing with the big guys and being around the big guys, playing with them. But to me, if he can’t play heavy minutes — and I’d say it needs to be 16 minutes (per night) — would it make sense to keep him (in Columbus)?”

Jiricek played with the NHL lineup in Saturday’s preseason finale against Washington, and he opened the game — and played several shifts — on the No. 1 pair with Werenski. That’s a strong indication, perhaps, that he’s made the club, but Vincent said the decision is still to be made. He played 15:06, with no shots on goal and no special teams ice time.

“Nobody has ever seen a guy spend more time in the AHL and have it make a negative impact on his career,” Vincent said. “That’s never happened. But bringing a guy (up to the NHL) too early? That’s happened. We’ve all seen that.

“He’s a diamond. He’s gonna be a great defenseman, a top-four guy. But we have to do what’s best for him. He might be with us (in Columbus). We want the best players, too. If he’s (one of our six) best, we want to keep him. But first, we need to protect him.”

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
So if our goal is to not waive Foudy yet, I don’t see how Jiricek or Sillinger make the team tomorrow. Unless of course they paper move one of them and call them up before Thursday and trade/waive foudy/someone else

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Would that mean Sillinger and Jiricek going to AHL?
Would have to think so. Either via paper move or when waiting for other moves.

With no waivers I have a sneaky feeling a trade is in the works for either Foudy, Peeke, Roslovic, Boqvist, or someone else

Reactions: Byrral

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Martin Jones was a name I was curious about. Atleast a veteran backup even if hes not that good
I thought of that too. also Armia could be a useful player. Although not maybe for exactly Columbus. But he is an excellent PK-player and a defensively very sound player, who can even score goals occasionally well. But yeah, Columbus has already a lot of wingers, so maybe not after all.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Would have to think so. Either via paper move or when waiting for other moves.

With no waivers I have a sneaky feeling a trade is in the works for either Foudy, Peeke, Roslovic, Boqvist, or someone else
Hope it doesnt involve us but Vancouver is probably also working on something as they just took on more cap when already being over. Always seems to be speculation or just best guess but people seem to like Peeke to Vancouver. Problem is they keep suggesting Garland our way

Reactions: CBJWerenski8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad