CBJ Training Camp Thread (Sept 13th-Oct 3rd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
You have to be 20, so no TFW. I don't know the precise cut-off, but I think it's 20 by about this month.
IIRC TFW would have to turn 20 before 1/1/19 in order to be eligible for the AHL (he was born in '99 so he is in fact ineligible this year).

it also apply only on european
Sonny Milano was eligible to play in the AHL right out of the draft because he was drafted from the USHL. The only players who have to abide by the 20-year-old rule are guys drafted from the CHL.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
[QUOTE="Mac DeMarco, post: 149490593, member:

Sonny Milano was eligible to play in the AHL right out of the draft because he was drafted from the USHL. The only players who have to abide by the 20-year-old rule are guys drafted from the CHL.[/QUOTE]

I would like to point out that the CHL rule applies to everyone drafted out of those leagues, even Europeans. Take Voracek, for example, drafted out of Halifax, not eligible for the AHL after being drafted, had to go back to juniors

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I would like to point out that the CHL rule applies to everyone drafted out of those leagues, even Europeans. Take Voracek, for example, drafted out of Halifax, not eligible for the AHL after being drafted, had to go back to juniors
Correct.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Artemi loves the city, it's a long contract he's after and he needs to fully take the time to explore his options because it's a major life event and he needs to really take the time and make the right choice.

As of now he's really just focusing and thinking about hockey.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Artemi loves the city, it's a long contract he's after and he needs to fully take the time to explore his options because it's a major life event and he needs to really take the time and make the right choice.

As of now he's really just focusing and thinking about hockey.

Yeah all of that, and still he was taking offers from some other clubs, but not from the CBJ. His intentions are clear enough to me.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't get this run. A 12 min 2 mile run is simultaneously not very fast and also not complementary to hockey training. A bag skate would be better training.
its nothing to do with the run itself as it is something out of their element and the players have to think about it throughout the offseason. I personally think its a great idea and just listen to how the players talk about it, it definitely gives them incentive throughout the offseason

major major

Feb 18, 2013
its nothing to do with the run itself as it is something out of their element and the players have to think about it throughout the offseason. I personally think its a great idea and just listen to how the players talk about it, it definitely gives them incentive throughout the offseason

I think it's the wrong incentive though. The training you do to get faster running is very different. A lot of what hockey players do in the summer can slow down their running.

It would make me nervous about injury or counter-training. I run times like that no problem in spring and summer (soccer season) but I do a lot of lunges and squats to get ready for hockey season, and I would never try it after bulking up. It's hard on the legs, almost feels like you're undoing your work. I've heard trainers recommend against it, though I don't know if there's any scientific basis for either viewpoint.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think it's the wrong incentive though. The training you do to get faster running is very different. A lot of what hockey players do in the summer can slow down their running.

It would make me nervous about injury or counter-training. I run times like that no problem in spring and summer (soccer season) but I do a lot of lunges and squats to get ready for hockey season, and I would never try it after bulking up. It's hard on the legs, almost feels like you're undoing your work. I've heard trainers recommend against it, though I don't know if there's any scientific basis for either viewpoint.
Its not like these players are punished for not completing it, its as much a mental challenge as anything. I dont think there is any player headed into the offseason training to run marathons vs training for the season. It can feel a little weird running in those circumstances but its not going to kill them and like you said 6 mile runs are doable and not some ridiculous expectation, its just motivation towards keeping them honest.

It leads into todays skating drills too. I watched a little of it and you could see who was hurting from it. Cam, Nuti and Savard were doing some drills together and Savy was skating circles around the other 2, thats gotta be some bragging rights as thats never happened :laugh:

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Its not like these players are punished for not completing it, its as much a mental challenge as anything. I dont think there is any player headed into the offseason training to run marathons vs training for the season. It can feel a little weird running in those circumstances but its not going to kill them and like you said 6 mile runs are doable and not some ridiculous expectation, its just motivation towards keeping them honest.

It leads into todays skating drills too. I watched a little of it and you could see who was hurting from it. Cam, Nuti and Savard were doing some drills together and Savy was skating circles around the other 2, thats gotta be some bragging rights as thats never happened :laugh:

How does it keep them more honest than any of the dozens of hockey-specific measurements that are taken during camp? If anything I worry a guy is going to get it in his head that he wants to impress Torts with a fast run time, and he'll fall behind in proper training.

Cam and Nuti being slower than Savvy is not a plus, not in my opinion. :laugh:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Running is stupid, it's bad for knees and for back esp for such heavy players like Savard f..e. But not everyone did the running, though. Murray, Zach and Dubi didn't.
Also: if you have a consussion history there is no way it's good for you to run for 12 minutes on hard surface.

-- Not all Blue Jackets players did the run test. Some did the equivalency on a stationary bike, riding nearly all-out for 12 minutes. Defenseman Zach Werenski and veteran center Brandon Dubinsky were among them and both were pleased with how they did.

"I didn't run once all summer," Sherwood said. "I'm not big on long-distance running with my trainer, so we do a lot of short stuff. I trusted my training and I did pretty well on it. I ran a little bit here, before [development camp], just to get back in shape, but I didn't run once after that. I got like 15 seconds over. I just trusted my training. I knew I'd be alright."

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I don't get this run. A 12 min 2 mile run is simultaneously not very fast and also not complementary to hockey training. A bag skate would be better training.

A bag skate doesn't get them talking to each other like a two mile run. Each guy has a time. Each guy talks about his time with the other guys. Each guy is looking at the other guys during the event - a bag skate can only get some many of the 60 guys on the ice at the same time. Each guy knows his time from last year (rookies excepted) and they know the other guys time from last year.

You are correct that it is not complementary to hockey training.

This is a team building exercise, not a skills development or error correction or on-ice strategy session.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
This is getting ugly, now he's early!

This reminds me of the office when people would come in really early so they could leave really early. He probably has job interviews right after he leaves.

This is not good at all. I wouldn't be surprised if he just doesn't show up one day and takes a sick day. We'll probably see footage of him at Top Golf with Panarin on Instagram.

Reactions: thebus88

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
This is not good at all. I wouldn't be surprised if he just doesn't show up one day and takes a sick day. We'll probably see footage of him at Top Golf with Panarin on Instagram.
Russians don't golf, duh! Probably will rent Mapfre Stadium for a day.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This reminds me of the office when people would come in really early so they could leave really early. He probably has job interviews right after he leaves.

Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Polaris isn’t open yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad