CBJ Training Camp Thread (Sept 13th-Oct 3rd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Mods Edit

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I do this every year before camp, middle of camp, and near the end of camp. But here we go.

*This does NOT factor in trades, signings, etc. Just as the roster sits*

2018 Roster: 23 Open Spots

Locks (100% Chance to make the roster): 17

Anderson
Atkinson
Bjorkstrand
Dubinsky
Dubois
Foligno
Jenner
Nash
Panarin
Wennberg
Jones
Murray
Nutivaara
Savard
Werenski
Bobrovsky
Korpisalo

Pretty easy. Just need to look at the one way contracts and how high they played on the roster. The only intrigue is the possibility of a trade of Panarin, and what the depth chart will look like. Same goes for defenseman.

The team seems to like to keep 2 extra forwards and one extra D. 17 spots locked up. 2 up for grabs on defense, and 4 for forward.

Likely (75% chance or higher of making the roster): 6

Duclair
Hannikainen
Milano
Sedlak
Kukan
Harrington

Only two way deal is Milano, who could use seasoning. None of these players roster spots are set in stone, and bad performance by them or beaten out by players on the next list could mean they end up on waivers/back to the minors. But for now, they have the inside track.

On the bubble (50% chance or lower of making the roster): 11

Abramov
Broadhurst
Dalpe
Davidsson
Gerbe
Robinson
Vigneault
Carlsson
Clendening
Cross
Simpson

Lots of young guys or older AHL guys. Easily can play their way into the next tier with their own play or struggles of the players in the next tier.

AHL/Junior Likely (25% chance or lower of making the roster): 10

Bittner
Fortier
Foudy
Macinnis
Stenlund
Thurkauf
Sherwood
Collins
Siebenaler
Somerby
Berube
Kivlenieks

Little to no chance for these guys, but the potential is always there to play into the next tier. Doubtful they can get higher than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I do this every year before camp, middle of camp, and near the end of camp. But here we go.

Anderson
Atkinson
Bjorkstrand
Dubinsky
Dubois
Foligno
Jenner
Nash
Panarin
Wennberg
Jones
Murray
Nutivaara
Savard
Werenski
Bobrovsky
Korpisalo

Pretty easy. Just need to look at the one way contracts and how high they played on the roster. The only intrigue is the possibility of a trade of Panarin, and what the depth chart will look like. Same goes for defenseman.

The team seems to like to keep 2 extra forwards and one extra D. 17 spots locked up. 2 up for grabs on defense, and 4 for forward.

Duclair
Hannikainen
Milano
Sedlak
Kukan
Harrington

Only two way deal is Milano, who could use seasoning. None of these players roster spots are set in stone, and bad performance by them or beaten out by players on the next list could mean they end up on waivers/back to the minors. But for now, they have the inside track.

On the bubble (50% chance or higher of making the roster): 11

Abramov
Broadhurst
Dalpe
Davidsson
Gerbe
Robinson
Vigneault
Carlsson
Clendening
Cross
Simpson

Lots of young guys or older AHL guys. Easily can play their way into the next tier with their own play or struggles of the players in the next tier.

Bittner
Fortier
Foudy
Macinnis
Stenlund
Thurkauf
Sherwood
Collins
Siebenaler
Somerby
Berube
Kivlenieks

Little to no chance for these guys, but the potential is always there to play into the next tier. Doubtful they can get higher than that.

On first glance, your percentages aren't adding up. If there's 6 guys at 75%+ for the remaining 6 spots, then there is a probability of a spot and a half (6 x (1-.75)) or less left for the next group of guys, and you have 11 more at 50%+, which adds up to 5 and a half spots.

I think the 6 are at 75%+, perhaps excepting Hannikainen, but the next group of 11 is more like 5-20% chance, not 50%. Maybe 25% for Davidsson, Robinson, and Abramov.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Anderson
Atkinson
Bjorkstrand
Dubinsky
Dubois
Foligno
Jenner
Nash
Panarin
Wennberg
Jones
Murray
Nutivaara
Savard
Werenski
Bobrovsky
Korpisalo

Duclair
Hannikainen
Milano
Sedlak
Kukan
Harrington

Abramov
Broadhurst
Dalpe
Davidsson
Gerbe
Robinson
Vigneault
Carlsson
Clendening
Cross
Simpson

Bittner
Fortier
Foudy
Macinnis
Stenlund
Thurkauf
Sherwood
Collins
Siebenaler
Somerby
Berube
Kivlenieks

Forgot to post my lines:

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson

Worked last year. Keep it going.

Jenner-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand

Jenner-Wennberg worked, maybe Bjorkstrand can play Vanek's role? Who knows. This line gives a bit of everything, but could be a mess defensively.

Foligno-Nash-Anderson

I just have a strange feeling Foligno and Nash are going to mesh well. Anderson can easily move up to line 2 or 1 if needed.

Sedlak-Dubinsky-Duclair

Again, a bit of everything. Not sure how Duclair will fair here, but I think it would be better than what Milano would give.

Werenski-Jones
Nutivaara-Savard
Kukan-Murray

I don't think spreading out Werenski and Jones will help the team. Werenski has mostly only played with Jones. I think if we put him with Savard, Werenski will be held back offensively in order to make up for Savard's lack of mobility. Murray could work, but that puts Werenski or Murray on their off hand. Nutivaara and him would be a trainwreck, and the same issue of handiness.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Anderson
Atkinson
Bjorkstrand
Dubinsky
Dubois
Foligno
Jenner
Nash
Panarin
Wennberg
Jones
Murray
Nutivaara
Savard
Werenski
Bobrovsky
Korpisalo

Duclair
Hannikainen
Milano
Sedlak
Kukan
Harrington

Abramov
Broadhurst
Dalpe
Davidsson
Gerbe
Robinson
Vigneault
Carlsson
Clendening
Cross
Simpson

Bittner
Fortier
Foudy
Macinnis
Stenlund
Thurkauf
Sherwood
Collins
Siebenaler
Somerby
Berube
Kivlenieks

I suppose we could quibble with some peripheral stuff but this is damn solid.

It makes me think again on something I've been wondering and that's about camp invites. It seems like there's lots of depth there. Is there a position where the team might bring a player in to see if he could 'steal' a spot?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Werenski-Jones
Nutivaara-Savard
Kukan-Murray

I don't think spreading out Werenski and Jones will help the team. Werenski has mostly only played with Jones. I think if we put him with Savard, Werenski will be held back offensively in order to make up for Savard's lack of mobility. Murray could work, but that puts Werenski or Murray on their off hand. Nutivaara and him would be a trainwreck, and the same issue of handiness.

Werenski Savard was amazing for 5 or 10 games when Jones was hurt in November 2016.

Until I see otherwise, I'm going to expect Nutivaara to work in any situation. To date, he's lifted everyone he's played with.

You have Murray penciled in on the right side - he's the one guy we know who struggles on his off-side. I'm not sure if Kukan can do it.

Reactions: CBJFan827

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I suppose we could quibble with some peripheral stuff but this is damn solid.

It makes me think again on something I've been wondering and that's about camp invites. It seems like there's lots of depth there. Is there a position where the team might bring a player in to see if he could 'steal' a spot?

Ideal for me would be a LW who could solidify the top 6. Doubt that person exists. Maybe the 6th or 7th D. Other than that I don't see it happening.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Forgot to post my lines:

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson

Worked last year. Keep it going.

Jenner-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand

Jenner-Wennberg worked, maybe Bjorkstrand can play Vanek's role? Who knows. This line gives a bit of everything, but could be a mess defensively.

Foligno-Nash-Anderson

I just have a strange feeling Foligno and Nash are going to mesh well. Anderson can easily move up to line 2 or 1 if needed.

Sedlak-Dubinsky-Duclair

Again, a bit of everything. Not sure how Duclair will fair here, but I think it would be better than what Milano would give.

Werenski-Jones
Nutivaara-Savard
Kukan-Murray

I like your lineups , but I have to wonder if Panarin is still on the team , that if Abramov is close to Sedlak in camp, that Abramov may get that shot . Abramov, a young Russian player that has all the skill in the world , that Panarin could take under his wing, another young Russian player , trying to Adapt to a new environment. Camp will be interesting for sure , I won’t be surprised to see Sedlak fall behind quite a few guys , in Robinson, Davidsson, and Hani

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
On first glance, your percentages aren't adding up. If there's 6 guys at 75%+ for the remaining 6 spots, then there is a probability of a spot and a half (6 x (1-.75)) or less left for the next group of guys, and you have 11 more at 50%+, which adds up to 5 and a half spots.

I think the 6 are at 75%+, perhaps excepting Hannikainen, but the next group of 11 is more like 5-20% chance, not 50%. Maybe 25% for Davidsson, Robinson, and Abramov.

abXaMpm.gif

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I was really confused and thought someone hacked my account to make this thread.

Anywho, the roster should be announced soon.

CincyCBJ

Feb 16, 2017
Any word regarding TV for the preseason games? I believe in the past a couple might have been on the NHL Network?

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
-No reason to break this up. Looking for Dubois to take an offensive step forward, and for Cam to continue gaining chemistry with Panarin.

Foligno-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
-Wennberg and Bjorkstrand clicked on a line in 2016-2017 for a bit. If Bjork is trying to regain some goal scoring, this is the line for him. Foligno can be slotted anywhere, and he also clicks well with Wennberg. Hopefully Wenny can bounce back.

Jenner-Nash-Anderson
-Size, size, size. This would be a great defensive line with a scoring touch, would be a great pestering matchup with other team's stars.

Duclair-Dubinsky-Davidsson
-Davidsson gets the spot due to being a natural right wing. I could see him being sent back to Sweden somewhat early on, but I think Jarmo wants to see what he can already do on NA ice. Dubi would be solid enough defensively to help the young guys. Duclair, I think, offers exactly what Milano does, but is all-around more solid. Sorry Sonny. This line would have a good combo of speedy wings with a defensively responsible center that can hopefully regain a bit of a playmaking touch. I realize this isn't a typical "4th line", but the 3rd line would be the defensive stalwart/energy line in this case.

Milano and Sedlak are extras (Milano I could see being traded finally)

Werenski-Jones
-You don't fix something that isn't broken.

Murray-Nutivaara
-I understand the urge to split these two up, but they work well together and Nuti is plenty good enough to be a full time second pair guy now.

Kukan-Savard
-Some people seem to forget that this was briefly a pair last season, and that it worked well. Kukan seems hungry, and IMO is clearly better than Harrington. Give this pair a shot before breaking up two pairs that are known to work well together.

The goalies speak for themselves.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
-No reason to break this up. Looking for Dubois to take an offensive step forward, and for Cam to continue gaining chemistry with Panarin.

Foligno-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
-Wennberg and Bjorkstrand clicked on a line in 2016-2017 for a bit. If Bjork is trying to regain some goal scoring, this is the line for him. Foligno can be slotted anywhere, and he also clicks well with Wennberg. Hopefully Wenny can bounce back.

Jenner-Nash-Anderson
-Size, size, size. This would be a great defensive line with a scoring touch, would be a great pestering matchup with other team's stars.

Duclair-Dubinsky-Davidsson
-Davidsson gets the spot due to being a natural right wing. I could see him being sent back to Sweden somewhat early on, but I think Jarmo wants to see what he can already do on NA ice. Dubi would be solid enough defensively to help the young guys. Duclair, I think, offers exactly what Milano does, but is all-around more solid. Sorry Sonny. This line would have a good combo of speedy wings with a defensively responsible center that can hopefully regain a bit of a playmaking touch. I realize this isn't a typical "4th line", but the 3rd line would be the defensive stalwart/energy line in this case.

Milano and Sedlak are extras (Milano I could see being traded finally)

Werenski-Jones
-You don't fix something that isn't broken.

Murray-Nutivaara
-I understand the urge to split these two up, but they work well together and Nuti is plenty good enough to be a full time second pair guy now.

Kukan-Savard
-Some people seem to forget that this was briefly a pair last season, and that it worked well. Kukan seems hungry, and IMO is clearly better than Harrington. Give this pair a shot before breaking up two pairs that are known to work well together.

The goalies speak for themselves.

I agree with most of this. It's nice to see when someone remembers what worked last year.

The thing I'd change is flip Jenner and Foligno. Jenner benefits the most from playing with Wennberg. And as I've pointed out before, the with you / without you stats show that our heavies don't complement each other, and that includes Jenner and Anderson.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
is it brady austin and Brett Gallant? they already have 4/5 vet in the Cleveland and theres Vogelhuber too

Also nobody want to find a LD that can play PK ? if Murray is down its Harrington on the first unit seem like , was hoping for an Gorges PTO even if he is done they can see if they suck less than harrington

Also surprised that Fix-Wolansky still there

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

I'd love to see Stenlund on a line with Panarin

Also group 4 almost looks like the bubble group offensively.

Davidsson, Duclair, Milano and Sedlak.

Group 3 on D, Kukan and Harrington fighting for a spot.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Originally I had no plans for this weekend. Now I'm booked solid. Need that hockey fix!

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Does anybody know which CHL players are Cleveland-ineligible due to age?

I'm pretty sure Foudy and Sokolov. Not sure about Fix-Wolansky.

Is there anyone I'm missing?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Does anybody know which CHL players are Cleveland-ineligible due to age?

I'm pretty sure Foudy and Sokolov. Not sure about Fix-Wolansky.

Is there anyone I'm missing?

You have to be 20, so no TFW. I don't know the precise cut-off, but I think it's 20 by about this month.

The only other weird thing about it is if a guy goes to the CHL after being drafted out of another league, then he's allowed to ignore the age 20 rule. So if Karlberg goes to the CHL this year (he won't) he can still go to the AHL despite being only 19 next year. I don't think that loophole applies to any of our guys.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

pled

Sep 7, 2009
You have to be 20, so no TFW. I don't know the precise cut-off, but I think it's 20 by about this month.

The only other weird thing about it is if a guy goes to the CHL after being drafted out of another league, then he's allowed to ignore the age 20 rule. So if Karlberg goes to the CHL this year (he won't) he can still go to the AHL despite being only 19 next year. I don't think that loophole applies to any of our guys.
it also apply only on european

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->