Confirmed with Link: CBJ Sign Simon Hjalmarsson (Update 10/11: Returning to SWE)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
No doubt that when it comes to trades and UFA signings, Jarmo gets a "failing miserably" grade.

I'm not sure that this falls under the failing miserably category. The guy was a low risk, high reward option. He wasn't ready to make it. He probably would have been one of the first call ups if more injuries hit. His desire to play in the NHL obviously isn't that great so its just a situation that didn't work.

What will make me upset is is he signs with another NHL team after going on unconditional waivers. As I recall, a few other teams expressed interest in bringing him over. I doubt it will happen since I doubt any team can guarantee him an NHL roster spot since he is not into playing in the AHL.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
If he wants to play in the NHL he probably should have stayed and showed the coaching staff what he could do in NA. He's played over there for years and he's not ready.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Perhaps it changed Simon's mind. If he really thought he was going to be good enough for our top-six he would have gone to Springfield to prove it.

He hasn't yet really made a fortune (KHL contract) out of playing ice hockey in Sweden so if he had picked up an injury... His personal value is also all time high at the moment so it's the perfect time to cash in.

IHeartZherdev*

Perhaps it changed Simon's mind. If he really thought he was going to be good enough for our top-six he would have gone to Springfield to prove it.

Top 6? Hes not even good enough to play in the nhl. Thats why he was overseas in the first place after jarmo drafted him in the 2nd round

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
He hasn't yet really made a fortune (KHL contract) out of playing ice hockey in Sweden so if he had picked up an injury... His personal value is also all time high at the moment so it's the perfect time to cash in.

Imagine what the Springfield lineup is going to be like once Jenner and Duby come back. Simon is too far down the depth chart to reasonably expect a tour in the NHL this year. Too bad, but this was a low risk-high reward experiment anyway.

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
As predicted, another Illari Melart. Keep swinging Jarmo...

The sad thing is, you said this ironically. As if you think it makes the GM look bad or, worse, hurts the Jackets in any way whatsoever. I wondered if your vendetta would end once RyJo signed on the dotted line (for less than he wanted as predicted by just about everyone) or if you'd keep finding reasons to be negative. 2-0, guys HE drafted are looking great, RyJo contributing so you can't complain that they took too long to get it done. I guess a Euro minimum salary signing not working out is something, though. :laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Scott Hartnell is offended.

Hartnell >> Umberger, but we won't be able to write the story on that deal for another five years, when Hartnell's contract is up. So leaving that trade aside, I do think most of Jarmo's moves have worked out poorly.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Hjalmarsson is no more a failure of Jarmo than Melart. Both were strategic signings with little downside and big upside. That neither (has) worked out is not a great loss. I admit to being a little skeptical as to why people thought either was going to play a significant role, but my guess is the time will come that one of these overseas young vets will work out.

thebus2288*

From just the little bit of him I saw in the preseason I thought it was clear he wasn't ready for the NHL. Especially not in a "scoring" role. Found it very interesting that near the end of camp A LOT of you still had him starting up on the 3rd line or even wanted him getting PP time.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Hartnell >> Umberger, but we won't be able to write the story on that deal for another five years, when Hartnell's contract is up. So leaving that trade aside, I do think most of Jarmo's moves have worked out poorly.

Well, in fairness, if you are going to set one good trade aside, let's also set one bad trade aside. So I'm going to set the Gaborik from NYR trade aside. After all, we just won't know how good those picks from LA are going to turn out. :sarcasm:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well, in fairness, if you are going to set one good trade aside, let's also set one bad trade aside. So I'm going to set the Gaborik from NYR trade aside. After all, we just won't know how good those picks from LA are going to turn out. :sarcasm:
:laugh:

You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I wasn't going to rebut Lee, but I take cookies very seriously.

An extreme example: You would say Bobby Orr for a 7th rounder was a bad trade without waiting to see who that pick became. If it later became Mario Lemieux you would say great drafting, but the trade was still bad.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I wasn't going to rebut Lee, but I take cookies very seriously.

An extreme example: You would say Bobby Orr for a 7th rounder was a bad trade without waiting to see who that pick became. If it later became Mario Lemieux you would say great drafting, but the trade was still bad.
The point was that arbitrarily setting aside contrary examples to prove a point is kind of disingenuous, not that the Gaborik trade might actually work out. :)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The point was that arbitrarily setting aside contrary examples to prove a point is kind of disingenuous, not that the Gaborik trade might actually work out. :)

I'm not arbitrarily setting it aside, I'm seriously disputing whether it is a contrary example yet. I've said ever since that trade that Hartnell is better (and boy is he ever) but it all comes down to years 4 and 5.

Does anybody think the Flyers actually thought Umberger would be a better player? Of course they had to pretend that, but what they really wanted is to get out of the long term deal. The length is the downside. It has to be considered, and we won't know how much of a downside it is until the time comes.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I don't think I'd be too worked up over a European brought over on a two-way contract. There is really no risk, he didn't make it, he was released and his contract is off the books. No harm, no foul to me.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Igor Eronko ‏@IgorEronko 31m31 minutes ago
#CSKA agreed to terms with Simon Hjalmarsson #CBJ #KHL

IIRC he'll be playing with Filatov, eh?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Igor Eronko ‏@IgorEronko 31m31 minutes ago
#CSKA agreed to terms with Simon Hjalmarsson #CBJ #KHL

IIRC he'll be playing with Filatov, eh?

Filatov does not play for CSKA anymore, was traded, now playing for Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
One must wonder if he didn't take his ball and go home so early (At least Melart gave the AHL a shot) that he wouldn't be called up right now with all these injuries. He should have at least gave it a shot.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
One must wonder if he didn't take his ball and go home so early (At least Melart gave the AHL a shot) that he wouldn't be called up right now with all these injuries. He should have at least gave it a shot.

Yeah, I was thinking that tonight too. Probably couldn't have had a better situation for someone like him to make an impression than the CBJ right now. I realize the money difference but if he was going to sign the deal here, he should have at least given it to January to see how the roster shook out.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
oh for sure...he would have been among the first recalled, he makes an impact (or doesn't) and go from there...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad