Confirmed with Link: CBJ Sign Simon Hjalmarsson (Update 10/11: Returning to SWE)

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
There's kind of a funny sequence at 8'48''; he scores, knocking loose a puck that's resting on the back of the net. He sees the puck knocked loose, and it's as if he does a double take. :laugh:

LOL, I didn't think the puck went in at first.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Seems like a good depth signing. If he's anything like Soderberg we have a solid pickup. Keep in mind we also have Wennberg, Dansk, Forsberg and potentially Zaar playing in the AHL next year.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Seems like a good depth signing. If he's anything like Soderberg we have a solid pickup. Keep in mind we also have Wennberg, Dansk, Forsberg and potentially Zaar playing in the AHL next year.

You can't remain un-Swedened for long in the NHL.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Coming in peace, but I will admit that I was a tad confused for about three seconds when I saw the topic title as the most recently updated topic on the main page. :laugh:

There were rumors that the Hawks were kicking the tires on him a couple weeks back as well, and from what I gathered it sounds like he'll be a solid addition to your team. Makes sense given your GM's Euro scouting history, too.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He'll make the team short of a terrible camp IMO. Likely as a bottom 6 player (replace RJ?) and try to work his way up. I also think Wennberg makes the team.

SwedenCanada

Sep 22, 2011
Sweden
I really like this guy, he's a workhorse and a teamplayer. Congratz!
I'll just copy/paste what I wrote on the blackhawks board a while ago when they discussed him:

"So this guy used to play together with Carl Söderberg in Sweden.
Carl: 61games 12goals 28assists 40points with Boston this season.

Prior to reaching the NHL these guys were pretty much alike (minus weight):
They were 25-27 when they got NHL teams after them.

So comparing stats: (Two seasons before reaching the NHL)
Simon: Linköping SHL 55ga 12g 31a 43p
Carl: Linköping SHL 42ga 14g 21a 35p

The same year as reaching the NHL:
Simon: Linköping SHL 55ga 27g 30a 57p
Carl: Linköping SHL 54ga 31g 29a 60p

During these two years they combined these amounts of games/points with team Sweden internationally:
Simon: 18ga 8p
Carl: 14ga 9p

SHL combined stats:
Simon: 271ga 77g 108a 185p 0.68p/ga
Carl: 189ga 58g 74a 132p 0.70p/ga

Edit: Simon got these stats when Sweden won the WC gold last year (Carl was busy playing with Boston at that time):
Sweden WC 10ga 2g 2a 4p"

IHeartZherdev*

Last time Jarmo signed a player from Europe it was Illari Melart. No confidence this amounts to anything...

IHeartZherdev*

You don't seem to like anything the club does. What's your beef?

That's not true, but I know better than to be excited by a signing like this. Best case scenario...he's Damien Brunner? or Carl Soderberg? Ugh. Either way it's a no-risk scenario, so there is no downside, but I'm not looking at this like we just got a top-6 winger at the NHL level.

I am a noted Jarmo and JD skeptic. They have yet to make any successful personnel moves in their time here, from trades to signings. Obviously, their draft picks have a ways to go before being judged and look promising as of now. But they are riding a constant wave of goodwill that is completely undeserved, and the team's success is all due to Scott Howson. They've had two years to make moves and improve what he built, and so far this is what they've added:

Illari Melart, Corey Tropp, Blake Comeau, Matt Frattin, Jared Boll's extension, Jack Skille, Nathan Horton, Nick Shultz, Marian Gaborik (who they then dumped at the deadline, in the worst trade of the year)

These moves do not really instill confidence, although like I said, we still have a ways to go to see how the draft picks develop

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
That's not true, but I know better than to be excited by a signing like this. Best case scenario...he's Damien Brunner? Ugh. Either way it's a no-risk scenario, so there is no downside, but I'm not looking at this like we just got a top-6 winger at the NHL level.

I am a noted Jarmo and JD skeptic. They have yet to make any successful personnel moves in their time here, from trades to signings. Obviously, their draft picks have a ways to go before being judged and look promising as of now. But they are riding a constant wave of goodwill that is completely undeserved, and the team's success is all due to Scott Howson. They've had two years to make moves and improve what he built, and so far this is what they've added:

But Illari Melart, Corey Tropp, Blake Comeau, Matt Frattin, Jared Boll's extension, Jack Skille, Nathan Horton, Nick Shultz, Marian Gaborik (who they then dumped at the deadline, in the worst trade of the year)

These moves do not really instill confidence, although like I said, we still have a ways to go to see how the draft picks develop

Noone is saying we hit a homerun. This is one of those moves where if it works out we have a top 9 guy for nothing and if it fails then he goes back like Broc Little and nothing changes

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
That's not true, but I know better than to be excited by a signing like this. Best case scenario...he's Damien Brunner? or Carl Soderberg? Ugh. Either way it's a no-risk scenario, so there is no downside, but I'm not looking at this like we just got a top-6 winger at the NHL level.

Illari Melart, Corey Tropp, Blake Comeau, Matt Frattin, Jared Boll's extension, Jack Skille, Nathan Horton, Nick Shultz, Marian Gaborik (who they then dumped at the deadline, in the worst trade of the year)

Not going to debate the personnel moves. They do leave a little to be desired. Jury is out on Horton because of his injuries.

But I think where you are short changing JK and JD is that they have changed the culture of this franchise. There was nothing to be excited about with the franchise under Scott Howson. He didn't have the guts, confidence or credibility to confront a player and tell them you bust your ass for this club every night or I will ship you to Siberia. JD does and it has worked wonders so far. This club has worked harder in the past two season than I've probably ever seen from this franchise. To me, it deserves a great deal of goodwill for both of them.

Not every personnel move is going to work. I give credit to GMJK for being able to admit a mistake and move forward trying to make the team better. This offseason will be telling. IMO, we need a couple of top six forwards (#1 LW and #2 RW). How he fills those voids will be interesting and could be moves that will give some indication of how good a GM he'll be.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't know if I'm more excited for the falcons or the jackets this season.

Rychel, Wennberg, Dano, Hajalmarsson, Forsberg, Dansk and potentially Zaar.

With potential for 2-3 to play their way onto the team before opening night.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Cherry would crap if Columbus won the cup with a roster that is becoming largely Americans, Russians and Swedes with a handful of Canadians.

Nah, he'd just say that Murray, Johansen, and Jenner were the most important players, and Dubinsky is Alaskan (genetically/culturally superior, just like Canadians).

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't know if I'm more excited for the falcons or the jackets this season.

Rychel, Wennberg, Dano, Hajalmarsson, Forsberg, Dansk and potentially Zaar.

With potential for 2-3 to play their way onto the team before opening night.

Pretty sure Zaar is going to Lulea and I'm not sure where Dansk will actually be

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He'll make the team short of a terrible camp IMO. Likely as a bottom 6 player (replace RJ?) and try to work his way up. I also think Wennberg makes the team.

Who do you think those two will beat out to make the roster? Besides Boll.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad