Confirmed with Link: CBJ Sign Simon Hjalmarsson (Update 10/11: Returning to SWE)

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
With the season getting closer and closer it's easy to forget some of these signings. But I still think this is going to be one of the most overlooked signings of the off-season if Hjalmarsson just evolves his game a little bit. The guy can just flat out score goals. Snipes from the point, top of the circles, hashmark, halfboards, breakaways, garbage goals, tip ins and up close. If he can continue to find space on the smaller rink, and play a little more physical I really do see him fitting into our top 6 quite easily.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do; but, in order to play in the top six, I'd guess he'd have to displace either Jenner or Foligno. Possible, of course, but how likely? Might he be a better fit on the third line, perhaps moving Matt down? I like Calvert quite a bit, but my thinking is that he'd be better suited than Cam for a fourth line role. A fourth line of Calvert-Letestu-Gibbons/D'Amigo/Boll could be as good, or better, than last season. Richards seemingly has a great deal more to work with, this year!

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do; but, in order to play in the top six, I'd guess he'd have to displace either Jenner or Foligno. Possible, of course, but how likely? Might he be a better fit on the third line, perhaps moving Matt down? I like Calvert quite a bit, but my thinking is that he'd be better suited than Cam for a fourth line role. A fourth line of Calvert-Letestu-Gibbons/D'Amigo/Boll could be as good, or better, than last season. Richards seemingly has a great deal more to work with, this year!

And thats not even mentioning if Wennberg pushes for a spot.

It would definitely be hard task for him to do. I really think he would excel on any of the lines. I really dont see the Jenner-Johansen-Horton changing until necessary as they really had some chemistry in the very brief time they had together. But on the Dubinsky line I think he would fit pretty nicely as they use a combination of speed, grit and a really effective cycle game. Which is something that would benefit Hjalmarsson greatly because once he finds that open ice, the puck ends up in the net. And I think this is going to the biggest thing for him, is finding the open space on smaller rinks with bigger, faster bodies on the ice.

Jacket

Apr 3, 2012
Cincinnati
Did I read correctly that Simon is going to be a RFA at the end of this year? If so, that's awesome flexibility.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
This from Puck Daddy's Fantasy Hockey blog.

Columbus Blue Jackets - Secondary Power-Play Time

Let's assume that Scott Hartnell, Ryan Johansen, Nathan Horton, Brandon Dubinsky and Cam Atkinson are locks for five of the six forward PP spots. That leaves one spot for Boone Jenner/Matt Calvert/Artem Anisimov and newcomer Simon Hjalmarsson to fight over. The winner of this 'battle' won't exactly make tidal waves in the fantasy hockey community, but it would mean the difference between 35 points and 45 points.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-battles-in-eastern-conference-182453363.html

Just thought it interesting that they threw Simon in that mix.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I am very curious to see what Simon brings to the table.

url]

I think I'm funny but I know I'm a tech nerd so if anyone can get that pic to post I'd be grateful :help:

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
interesting to me that they'd mention Hjalmarsson in the 2nd PP unit potentially but no indication of Letestu or Foligno

We've talked about this before but Letestu and Jenner should both be in the "locks" group ahead of Dubinsky and Atkinson. Letestu and Jenner easily had the highest points per minute out there. Foligno has little to add to the powerplay.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Seems like Hjalmarsson went back to Sweden and won't join the Falcons.

From the money side it's quite understandable. Take 70 000 AHL dollars... or earn much more with (potentially) lower tax in the KHL. I don't think it even hurts his NHL chances (beyond this season) either to play in KHL instead.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
From the money side it's quite understandable. Take 70 000 AHL dollars... or earn much more with (potentially) lower tax in the KHL. I don't think it even hurts his NHL chances (beyond this season) either to play in KHL instead.

It's a good decision on his part. I am not sure he would have played with us this year, especially with the guys we have picked up recently.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
"I told him before he left (for Springfield) that it still is the same thought process with us, in terms of how his game could help us," Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said. "I don't think he was quite playing his game yet. He was close. he just needed some time to get adjusted, but he didn't feel like he wanted to play in the minors.

"In the back of your mind, you always know (veteran European players) aren’t going to stay (in the AHL)( for a long time. But not to go there at all was a bit of a surprise."

The Blue Jackets will list Hjalmarsson as "suspended" on the Springfield roster until he's placed on unconditional waivers in the next few days.

"Sometimes it can be overwhelming for guys when they see the level of play and see the guys around them," Kekalainen said. "I talked with Simon when we sent him down, and we talked about him staying, taking the patient way, and giving it a chance."

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com...14/10/hjalmarsson-heading-back-to-europe.html

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
sorry to hear he's leaving the team...maybe we revisit another time...i understand though $1m / year + versus $70k is a no brainer....

IHeartZherdev*

As predicted, another Illari Melart. Keep swinging Jarmo...

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Son of a *****. Apparently he doesn't his passion to make it in the NHL isn't that great. He probably got upset that 3 kids made the final roster over him.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I'm truly surprised... I honestly had really high hopes for him. High hopes as in, I thought he could crack the top 6 eventually. Didn't seem to 'wow' me during pre-season but didn't do anything to not change my opinion about his potential in our lineup.... anyways. Carry on.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm truly surprised... I honestly had really high hopes for him. High hopes as in, I thought he could crack the top 6 eventually. Didn't seem to 'wow' me during pre-season but didn't do anything to not change my opinion about his potential in our lineup.... anyways. Carry on.

Perhaps it changed Simon's mind. If he really thought he was going to be good enough for our top-six he would have gone to Springfield to prove it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad