Confirmed with Link: CBJ Sign Simon Hjalmarsson (Update 10/11: Returning to SWE)

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Its definitely a low risk/high reward sign. But he's listed as 5'11 and 161lbs? He will be in for a rude awakening in the NHL. Hes 20 pounds heavier than myself and a good 2 inches taller. Good luck, I'll definitely be pulling for him. He seems like a good guy.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Who do you think those two will beat out to make the roster? Besides Boll.

Umby and Comeau I'm guessing. That being said I'm not entirely sure a guy who's never played on small ice would be walking right into the lineup. Wennberg maybe but I'm not sure he does it either

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Its definitely a low risk/high reward sign. But he's listed as 5'11 and 161lbs? He will be in for a rude awakening in the NHL. Hes 20 pounds heavier than myself and a good 2 inches taller. Good luck, I'll definitely be pulling for him. He seems like a good guy.

Where is that listing? I just looked at eliteprospects and hockey db where he's listed at 6'0" 172lbs.
Wonder if the 5'11, 161lbs was his drafted size and hasnt been updated since he's done nothing in NA

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Where is that listing? I just looked at eliteprospects and hockey db where he's listed at 6'0" 172lbs.
Wonder if the 5'11, 161lbs was his drafted size and hasnt been updated since he's done nothing in NA

That is what is listed in his wikipedia page... Im sure its not that accurate anymore, and who knows when it was last updated. But it helped me make my point, so I went with it. :laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Hjalmarsson

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

It's probably his driver's license weight. :nod:

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Good. Now someone needs to update his career point total for the SHL playoffs; 13+14≠17. :)

Math was never my strong suit, and Siri only laugh at me when I ask her to do math.
Someone else will have to handle that one.

The Fuhr*

I think this is a terrific signing... He's going to be a 20G 40 point player in the nhl with a gritty defensive game

A second line winger

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

Yeah I don't share some posters optimism that he'll make the team out of camp. He needs to transition his game to NA (small ice, big bodies) which will take time if its even possible. I like the signing, but he'll be in the AHL this season. I'm not sure a second Cam Atkinson will be effective on this team.

MyXoMoPBL

Mar 4, 2013
Linköping
Hope you got a good passer because Hjalmarsson would be nothing this past season without #40 Arlbrandt (check the highlight video posted on page 1).

Coming from someone that has seen every single Linköping game the past season. He also flopped big time in the WC few weeks ago and only made 1 point (again because of no Arlbrandt).
Thank you for signing him, we get half the transfer money!

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Hope you got a good passer because Hjalmarsson would be nothing this past season without #40 Arlbrandt (check the highlight video posted on page 1).

Coming from someone that has seen every single Linköping game the past season. He also flopped big time in the WC few weeks ago and only made 1 point (again because of no Arlbrandt).

And Gustav Nyqvist has less points then Joakim Lindstrom, a 10 game tournament isn't going to worry anyone that much. It's been said 100 times already but it's not an issue, if he doesn't work out then no big deal

MyXoMoPBL

Mar 4, 2013
Linköping
And Gustav Nyqvist has less points then Joakim Lindstrom, a 10 game tournament isn't going to worry anyone that much. It's been said 100 times already but it's not an issue, if he doesn't work out then no big deal

Not to mention he didn't perform in the playoffs and during the second half of the season he was pretty invisible

Gee.. I almost sound like a hater now :sarcasm:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
If it tells you anything about what is seen in him by professional evaluators, Scotty Bowman went to Sweden personally to talk to Hjalmarsson about signing with the Hawks. Not sure why it never materialized but it could have had something to do with them being preoccupied with the playoffs.

He was nearly the only SHL forward to make the Olympic roster for Sweden. From my understanding he was under heavy consideration.

This is not an offense only player. He's a strong cycle player as well as being pretty tenacious. Not overly physical but has a strong basis of fundamentals to work with. There's a reason he was almost a first round pick in 2007. He simply didn't bloom in time for the Blues to be able to cash in on him. He developed his game late.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

What you're doing is underestimating how much of a talent it is to put yourself in position to score when you are working with a talented playmaker. If you saw the video then you saw a player with tremendous hockey instincts finding the dead spots on the ice to make himself a shooting option. Simply because these two worked well together does not mean that one of the parties was a passenger and the other was driving the bus. Setting up and finishing plays is a two man job and there is a reason why goals are considered more valuable than assists for the most part.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Just try and say "sign Simon Hjalmarsson" like five times fast.

1) It's tricky.
2) Hopefully you're at work or somehow in a group of people when you do. Just because.

amberdawn

Apr 11, 2014
johnstown

i'd say wennberg fits that bill. can i get a amen brother ;););););)

MyXoMoPBL

Mar 4, 2013
Linköping

Yes, I'm grateful for what he did for our team and scoring as much as he did. But to be honest the fans were worried about him not signing with an NHL team because he had a high salary for SHL standards and we did not want him because he played really poorly when it mattered and we were playing for survival in the league - almost getting demoted. He is a 2 way player though with a high chance of developing into a good player, just as Carl Söderberg did that also came from the same team and from the same line (arlbrandt söderberg hjalmarsson) last season.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I like the fact that JK is going out and signing these types of players. The fact that they are two-way makes it easy.

There may be a lot of these that end up as busts, but at some point you are going to hit that diamond in the rough. Better it be us then another team taking the shots at these players.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I like the fact that JK is going out and signing these types of players. The fact that they are two-way makes it easy.

There may be a lot of these that end up as busts, but at some point you are going to hit that diamond in the rough. Better it be us then another team taking the shots at these players.

I agree. And I'd like to see us mine NCAA ufa's.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
With the season getting closer and closer it's easy to forget some of these signings. But I still think this is going to be one of the most overlooked signings of the off-season if Hjalmarsson just evolves his game a little bit. The guy can just flat out score goals. Snipes from the point, top of the circles, hashmark, halfboards, breakaways, garbage goals, tip ins and up close. If he can continue to find space on the smaller rink, and play a little more physical I really do see him fitting into our top 6 quite easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad