Confirmed with Link: CBJ Sign Simon Hjalmarsson (Update 10/11: Returning to SWE)

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
I see he was a Blues draftee. Guess Jarmo's had his sights on him for a while. Seems like a low risk signing that could have high rewards.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
as pointed out to me...this year's Melart...low risk, maybe a reward...

In comparison to Ilari Melart this Hjalmarsson fellow seems to have achieved much more in his domestic league prior to signing.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 46s
#Blackhawks were also reportedly interested in signing Hjalmarsson, who had 27-30-57 in 55 games with Linkoping this season. #CBJ

Hugg

Aug 2, 2005
Columbus
SIMON HJALMARSSON, LW, LINKOPING (SWE.)
A second-round pick for St. Louis in 2007, Hjalmarsson never came to North America, but he may do it soon. The Chicago Blackhawks are apparently interested in the 25-year-old, who played on a line with Boston’s Carl Soderberg in Linkoping last season, but he’s really come into his own without his departed buddy. Hjalmarsson (no relation to Niklas) has set career highs with 27 goals and 57 points in 55 games, mixing a good hockey mind and skill with great board work and grit. Those totals tied him for third in the Swedish League.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/the-best-players-in-the-world-youve-never-heard-of/

sounds about right

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Nice signing. I think Simon have what it takes to do well in the NHL.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
NHL Blue Jackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL 2m
Simon Hjalmarsson puts the finishing touches on his #CBJ contract! pic.twitter.com/aNUk9xT7kj

BpSzp5iCcAAqPVt.jpg

also, rumor has it, he'll be on CBJ in 30 today...

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This seems to be a much bigger deal than that whole Melart thing. If Hjalmarsson is as useful as Soderberg (and his stats suggest he could be), then we are in luck.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
once again...the melart reference is merely that its low risk...not that his game is like melarts... :facepalm:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Hey another one. Never heard of him, never seen him play. Nothing of any value to offer. Hopefully it works out.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
and there's confirmation

NHL Blue Jackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL 1m
Simon Hjalmarsson will join @BobbyMacSports on #CBJin30 TODAY at 11:30AM (online & on the #CBJ app). Got a question for Simon? Tweet it now!

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Looks like a sniper. Maybe some 2nd PP potential there if he can handle the physical play of the NHL. AHL will be a good test for him. I would like to see him and Wennberg next season in NA.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
It's funny that every article on him that I've seen, so far, mentions that he's not related to Nicklas. Of course not, they don't spell their last names the same (one "s" vs. two)!

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Is this a "make the NHL this year or I'm out" type deal? Not that I'm complaining, just curious if people see this as an acquisition or simply a tryout.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The question is, does he make the CBJ roster? Would he play in Springfield if asked to do so? If he makes the roster, where does he fit?

CBJRzeznik

Mar 8, 2014
Nice, affordable pick-up that adds additional forward skill to Springy.

I like this type of "low risk-high reward" move by Jarmo

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i like what he's saying...has a lot of confidence that he can put on some weight and make camp...

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Is this a "make the NHL this year or I'm out" type deal? Not that I'm complaining, just curious if people see this as an acquisition or simply a tryout.

I imagine so, he's 25 and a top flight player in Europe. If he doesn't make the show, he could make a lot more money in Russia or Switzerland than riding the buses in the AHL.

Really like this signing, and I'm happy to see him come over. Was really high on the guy in his draft year back in 2007, and was disappointed when he stagnated for a couple of seasons. Always thought he was so well rounded and could become a solid Top 9 forward.

Well he's really taken off the last couple years, and it looks like he could be that player finally. A solid, all-around player who could score 30 or 35 points. Even if he's in Pittsburgh's division I'm really hoping it works out for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad