Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Can you guys give me some insight into Jackets players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Eric Robinson
Alex Broadhurst
Broadhurst probably isn't an NHL player. He got a call-up due to some majorly depleted forward stocks and because he'd played well in the AHL. If he ever sticks around in the NHL for longer than the cup of coffee he had this year, it'll be as a fourth-line energy guy.

Robinson I have no idea. He got handed a debut to burn a year off his ELC as an extra incentive to get him to sign with the Jackets out of college. I don't think a ton is expected of him, but we'll see.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Broadhurst probably isn't an NHL player. He got a call-up due to some majorly depleted forward stocks and because he'd played well in the AHL. If he ever sticks around in the NHL for longer than the cup of coffee he had this year, it'll be as a fourth-line energy guy.

Robinson I have no idea. He got handed a debut to burn a year off his ELC as an extra incentive to get him to sign with the Jackets out of college. I don't think a ton is expected of him, but we'll see.
Good to see you back on the Board.

Reactions: The Wheelchair

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I have a question, why Stenlund already burnt his 1 year of ELC since he played only 7 AHL games? But Milano played 54 games in 15-16 season but it was a slide?

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I have a question, why Stenlund already burnt his 1 year of ELC since he played only 7 AHL games? But Milano played 54 games in 15-16 season but it was a slide?
Stenlund was 20 years old at the time when he signed his contract so he isn't eligible to have his contract slide at all.
Sonny Milano was 18 years old when he signed his contract so he is eligible to actually have his contract slide 2 years as long as he doesn't play in 10 NHL games in either year.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Stenlund was 20 years old at the time when he signed his contract so he isn't eligible to have his contract slide at all.
Sonny Milano was 18 years old when he signed his contract so he is eligible to actually have his contract slide 2 years as long as he doesn't play in 10 NHL games in either year.
Thank you!

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
#CBJ C prospect Alexandre Texier had shoulder surgery sometime after @2018IIHFWorlds and will miss development camp. He's expected to need three months recovery time. The injury, I'm told, is unrelated to the shoulder injury/surgery he had after 2017 worlds.

Second surgery in 2 years... sigh...

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
NHL Draft 2018: Learn a Lesson from the Past, And Don’t Shy Away from the First-Round Slider

How would you rank the prospect pool? I ranked it a D but it could be a C.

In terms of high end prospects? It's an F.

We have solid prospects, some will hit and miss. But this isn't like our pool from 2-3 years ago (the year the Monsters won) when we had like 5 can't miss NHLers with huge upside.

We have good goalie prospects, some decent forwards, and almost no defenseman. I think your D assessment is fair, but I'll be nice and say C-

I'll post my own personal prospect rankings soon, as I do every year. Here is my list following last years draft.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
In terms of high end prospects? It's an F.

We have solid prospects, some will hit and miss. But this isn't like our pool from 2-3 years ago (the year the Monsters won) when we had like 5 can't miss NHLers with huge upside.

We have good goalie prospects, some decent forwards, and almost no defenseman. I think your D assessment is fair, but I'll be nice and say C-

I'll post my own personal prospect rankings soon, as I do every year. Here is my list following last years draft.
Keep in mind, Columbus also hasn't drafted high in 3 of the last 4 years and when they did they pulled PLD (who looks like he could be a high end talent). The CBJ may lack NHL ready high end talent but they have pushed the envelope a little with picks like Texier, Marchenko, Foudy, Abromov... they all have high end upside from what I read and see on clips. The 5 can't miss NHLers you mention...they are now with the CBJ only 2 years later. I think the future remains bright and there is still a solid line coming in with some high upside. Just my opinion though. Hang in there man.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Here again is my own personal rankings for our prospects.

Same criteria: How good they are now, how good they can be, and the likelihood they get to that ceiling. All of these, of course, are in my opinion.

Last years list:
Graduated: Werenski, Anderson, Korpisalo, Sedlak, Nutivaara.

1. Bjorkstrand
2. PLD
3. Carlsson
4. Abramov
5. Milano
6. Texier
7. Gavrikov
8. Stenlund
9. Merzlikins
10. Tarasov
11. Motte
12. Thurkauf
13. Peeke
14. Hannikainen
15. Kukan
16. Bemstrum
17. Tynan
18. Scott
19. Sherwood
20. Bittner

This years list:

Graduated: Bjorkstrand, PLD, Milano, Hannikainen

1. Merzlikins
2. Gavrikov
3. Foudy
4. Abramov
5. Texier
6. Davidsson
7. Stenlund
8. Peeke
9. Carlsson
10. Marchenko
11. Tarasov
12. Kukan
13. Vehvilainen
14. Bemstrom
15. Karlberg
16. Vigneault
17. Thurkauf
18. Berni
19. Fortier
20. Kivlenieks

What I find interesting about our pool is how hard to rate the people from 7-20. Usually you can name the top prospects pretty easily, but after our first 5 or so, it gets really compacted and you can make many arguments for different guys.

I picked Merzlikins as our top prospect because I think he can be a very solid NHL starter right now with potential stardom if he came over. However, that will not be the case this season. So we wait.

Gavrikov over Foudy because I think his ceiling is higher and his ability to reach the ceiling is certainly higher. Foudy is very boom or bust, and this next season will be an important indicator of his true offensive talent.

Little to no movement for Texier or Abramov. Texier had a good year against men, but his injuries bother me, and even though he has a high ceiling, he is very unlikely to hit the top end.

Abramov had a very disappointing World Juniors, but had obviously blew up the QMJHL (again). The world junior performance really soured him for me, since he was a 19 year old and should have at least been noticeable. He wasn't. His stats are impressive in the Q, but he really needed better competition. His first AHL year upcoming will help him not only play against men, but projecting his future.

People will ask why Kukan is low since he will likely make the team either as an extra or a 3rd pairing guy. Because I don't see him being more than what he is right now. And that is average. He's one of the cases where his ceiling is low, but very likely to reach it. Always valuable to have in a pool, but unlikely to get alot of love.

Prospects I've given up on: Collins, Siebenaler, Sherwood, and Bittner.

Injuries, repeated poor play, or both have caused these prospects to bust. Probable career journeyman AHLers or European players.

Prospects To Watch: Abramov, Davidsson, Stenlund, Carlsson, and Foudy.

All turning pro, or in Foudy's case about to get a ton of ice time on a top tier junior team. It's most important for our future that these guys pan out.

In Carlsson's case, he was spoonfed minutes he didn't deserve in first coming to NA by playing in the Pittsburgh series, and responded last season with a subpar at best season and injury issues. It's not make or break by any means, he's only like 22 and a defenseman, but we've got to see improvement.

Potential riser: Bemstrom

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac DeMarco

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Keep in mind, Columbus also hasn't drafted high in 3 of the last 4 years and when they did they pulled PLD (who looks like he could be a high end talent). The CBJ may lack NHL ready high end talent but they have pushed the envelope a little with picks like Texier, Marchenko, Foudy, Abromov... they all have high end upside from what I read and see on clips. The 5 can't miss NHLers you mention...they are now with the CBJ only 2 years later. I think the future remains bright and there is still a solid line coming in with some high upside. Just my opinion though. Hang in there man.

I agree with you.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Here again is my own personal rankings for our prospects.

Same criteria: How good they are now, how good they can be, and the likelihood they get to that ceiling. All of these, of course, are in my opinion.

Last years list:

This years list:

Graduated: Bjorkstrand, PLD, Milano, Hannikainen

1. Merzlikins
2. Gavrikov
3. Foudy
4. Abramov
5. Texier
6. Davidsson
7. Stenlund
8. Peeke
9. Carlsson
10. Marchenko
11. Tarasov
12. Kukan
13. Vehvilainen
14. Bemstrom
15. Karlberg
16. Vigneault
17. Thurkauf
18. Berni
19. Somerby
20. Kivlenieks

What I find interesting about our pool is how hard to rate the people from 7-20. Usually you can name the top prospects pretty easily, but after our first 5 or so, it gets really compacted and you can make many arguments for different guys.

I picked Merzlikins as our top prospect because I think he can be a very solid NHL starter right now with potential stardom if he came over. However, that will not be the case this season. So we wait.

Gavrikov over Foudy because I think his ceiling is higher and his ability to reach the ceiling is certainly higher. Foudy is very boom or bust, and this next season will be an important indicator of his true offensive talent.

Little to no movement for Texier or Abramov. Texier had a good year against men, but his injuries bother me, and even though he has a high ceiling, he is very unlikely to hit the top end.

Abramov had a very disappointing World Juniors, but had obviously blew up the QMJHL (again). The world junior performance really soured him for me, since he was a 19 year old and should have at least been noticeable. He wasn't. His stats are impressive in the Q, but he really needed better competition. His first AHL year upcoming will help him not only play against men, but projecting his future.

People will ask why Kukan is low since he will likely make the team either as an extra or a 3rd pairing guy. Because I don't see him being more than what he is right now. And that is average. He's one of the cases where his ceiling is low, but very likely to reach it. Always valuable to have in a pool, but unlikely to get alot of love.

Prospects I've given up on: Collins, Siebenaler, Sherwood, and Bittner.

Injuries, repeated poor play, or both have caused these prospects to bust. Probable career journeyman AHLers or European players.

Prospects To Watch: Abramov, Davidsson, Stenlund, Carlsson, and Foudy.

All turning pro, or in Foudy's case about to get a ton of ice time on a top tier junior team. It's most important for our future that these guys pan out.

In Carlsson's case, he was spoonfed minutes he didn't deserve in first coming to NA by playing in the Pittsburgh series, and responded last season with a subpar at best season and injury issues. It's not make or break by any means, he's only like 22 and a defenseman, but we've got to see improvement.

Potential riser: Bemstrom
Pretty much agree with the list, except I think Marchenko could be a bit higher than where he is slotted. I don’t put too much stock into the WJC anymore (especially after seeing PLD) so Abramov’s performance doesn’t bother me much.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Interesting list. That is why I rated our prospects a D. When I look at it I can make a case to order them in lots of different orders. And no one guy is even, in my mind a sure fire NHler. There are some I presume, it is just identifying them that is the hard part.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

major major

Feb 18, 2013
When I look at it I can make a case to order them in lots of different orders.

Agreed. CBJW's list looks good to me, and he could just as easily flip the top 10 over with Marchenko 1st (okay maybe not quite).

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I actually very ok with our lrospects right now because the age of the team being the youngest for basically 2 years except after the TDL because the added vets. There is no spot where you see something and say man they are old and we have no prospect to place there. There might be guys you want gone and because you want them gone and dont have a replacement in prospects that might worry you but thats more of a bias of player opinion then actual needs.

Defense wise Gavrikov is as good as you are going to get around the league not currently in the NHL. Kukan and Peeke are 2 guys I feel could bottom pair just fone if needed. Tex has came along faster then expected and could be ready as soon as maybe a year or sooner. The guys we just drafted 1 and 2 could be huge. Goalies we have to have the best goalie pool in the league. I dont see panc I just see a young team who has graduated like 7 guys in 2 years and its natural but there arent any holes there is just no high high end guys which is good imo because that means we have been in the playoffs. Trust in the best GM and scouting units we have ever had.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad