Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
his play against the "elite" of his age group is my cause for concern...he was put on every line and fell flat in each...not ready to label a bust, but I think having some concern is fair...

Not fair at all to call him a bust or even close. Ryan Johansen didn't have a great World Junior either. Rychel played on every line like you said, which shows his versatility. Yes he didn't score a point, but he also played on international ice and he's not a 'fast' or flashy player. That has a big affect.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Not fair at all to call him a bust or even close. Ryan Johansen didn't have a great World Junior either. Rychel played on every line like you said, which shows his versatility. Yes he didn't score a point, but he also played on international ice and he's not a 'fast' or flashy player. That has a big affect.

No it didn't show his versatility. He wasn't producing offence in a scoring role and then wasn't effective as a checker and then the coach cut back on his ice time. While Mantha led the offence, not just as a sniper but in creating offence. The big ice is a valid defence of Rychel though, he might just be useless in that situation. Though my worry is that he might be missing some of the forechecking instincts (that guys like Calvert and Jenner have), and missing some acceleration and anticipation.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Far too early to panic over Kerby Rychel. Very well known prior to the draft that he's a project type of pick, and I think he's following his development path just about where the Jackets hoped/figured.

Whereas Wennberg may be able to play in the NHL next year, Rychel is at least another year or two from being an impact player for us. He'll play in the AHL next year, and will probably put a lot of worries to rest because he can score goals. But, be aware that it will take time with this player ... we may reap benefits at some point, but it won't be next year.

Exactly. What I find funny is for years people complained about us rushing prospects. Now, we are letting our prospects determine when they make it to the NHL. This will cause some players to do it quickly and some to take a little bit of time. So, people now complaine when a prospect isn't a stud in his first year or two after being drafted.

Rychel is doing just fine. We don't even need him in the next year or so, so just let him continue to develop.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Rychel's job is to put up points and, more specifically, score goals. As a 19 year old, he has 19 G, 29 A, 48 PTS and a +21 in 34 games.

11/12 - 0.60 G/Game, 0.49 A/Game, and 1.09 PTS/Game
12/13 - 0.59 G/Game, 0.69 A/Game, and 1.28 PTS/Game
13/14 - 0.56 G/Game, 0.85 A/Game, and 1.41 PTS/Game

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
his play against the "elite" of his age group is my cause for concern...he was put on every line and fell flat in each...not ready to label a bust, but I think having some concern is fair...

Classic Jacket fan "Chicken Little" syndrome ...

It's very common for players to struggle in short tournaments. Don't let that be the judging factor ... catch some OHL games and see what he plays like on a more regular basis. Then come back and tell us what you think.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
you can call names all you want...i didn't say it was a cause for anything...i said that i'm concerned...that's it...CBJProspects and I discuss it all the time...he says he doesn't think there's reason to be too concerned, but even he has said that it can cause a questionmark...and I value his opinion over anybody on this board when it comes to prospects or jrs...

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

according to CBJProspects, he was named to the WJC all tourneyment team...in 2011... :dunno:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
according to CBJProspects, he was named to the WJC all tourneyment team...in 2011... :dunno:

Yep Johansen was one of our better players that year. To be honest I thought his world juniors pushed his rank up too high and he was taken early... glad to be wrong.
Rychel was straight up pitiful, no other way to put it. I'm hoping when he gets into some camps and stuff he see's how everyone handles themselves and the work they put in at the NHL level he changes things

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
you can call names all you want...i didn't say it was a cause for anything...i said that i'm concerned...that's it...CBJProspects and I discuss it all the time...he says he doesn't think there's reason to be too concerned, but even he has said that it can cause a questionmark...and I value his opinion over anybody on this board when it comes to prospects or jrs...

Wasn't my intent to name call (if you were referring to me?), but I called it as I see it. Be patient. Plenty of guys have had bad World Junior tournaments and gone on to bigger/better things. Heck, plenty of guys have had great world junior tournaments and gone on to do nothing.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Yes, you did. You said it was CAUSE for concern. I really think this debate is ridiculous, but really don't care. I just find it funny that you said you didn't say it was a cause for anything, when that is exactly what you said a few posts before.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Yes, you did. You said it was CAUSE for concern. I really think this debate is ridiculous, but really don't care. I just find it funny that you said you didn't say it was a cause for anything, when that is exactly what you said a few posts before.

semantics...i said it was MY cause...not anyone elses...but whatever...i'm not saying the kid is a bust, just that when put on a top stage against his peers, he **** the bed...is it a long term worry, probably not...but i'm gonna watch things like that instead of him racking up a lot of points on a quasi stacked team in jrs...

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Expressen's hockey blogger says Frölunda is interested in Zaar for next season. Zaar signed an ELC with the CBJ last spring.

Frölunda is the SHL team that Alexander Wennberg plays for. Marcus Söberg is on their junior team.

http://bloggar.expressen.se/mrmadhawk/2014/01/17/frolunda-intresserade-av-zaar/ (in Swedish)

If Zaar and Wennberg stayed in Sweden another year, they could be playing together. Söberg could see some time on the senior team next season and there could be times when all three of them would be playing together.

Last edited:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'd rather Zaar stay in Sweden another season because of how little ice time the rookies and younger players are being given in Springfield. If he's not going to get top 6 ice time in the AHL, he might as way stay in Sweden.

But how long can his ELC be pushed back for?

Perhaps he starts next season in Springfield and if he isn't ready for a top 6 role, he is loaned to Frölunda.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Bjorkstrand has a 3goal night so far.

3rd period remaining against the Everett Silvertips.

Edit: Bjorkstrand finished the game with 3g and 1a in the 6-2 win.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
C - Boone Jenner (Columbus - NHL) - 41gp, 8g, 5a, 13pts, +4, 26pim
C - Alexander Wennberg (Frolunda -SHL) - 38gp, 15g, 4a, 19pts, -4, 8pim
C - Marko Dano (Bratislava Slovan - KHL) - 36gp, 2g, 2a, 4pts, -12, 34pim
C - Michael Chaput (Springfield - AHL; Columbus - NHL) - 24gp, 10g, 9a, 19pts, +3, 26pim; 17gp, 0g, 1a, 1pts, +0, 2pim
C - Jonathan Audy-Marchessault (Springfield - AHL) - 42gp, 12g, 18a, 30pts, -5, 47pim

LW - Kerby Rychel (Guelph - OHL) - 38gp, 21g, 35a, 56pts, +25, 23pim

RW - Cam Atkinson (Columbus - NHL) - 51gp, 15g, 12a, 27pts, -1, 12pim
RW - Oliver Bjorkstrand (Portland - WHL) - 47gp, 33g, 37a, 70pts, +24, 20pim
RW - Daniel Zaar (Rogle - Allsvenskan) - 39gp, 12g, 14a, 26pts, +2, 22pim
RW - Nick Moutrey (Saginaw - OHL) - 48gp, 12g, 15a, 27pts, +3, 54pim

D - Ryan Murray (Columbus - NHL) - 51gp, 3g, 15a, 18pts, +1, 10pim
D - David Savard (Columbus - NHL) - 42gp, 3g, 8a, 11pts, +6, 18pim
D - Tim Erixon (Springfield - AHL; Columbus -NHL) - 25gp, 4g, 19a, 23pts, +6, 8pim; 2gp, 0g, 0a, 0pts, +2, 2pim
D - Dalton Prout (Sprinfield - AHL; Columbus - NHL) - 3gp, 0g, 0a, 0pts, +0, 2pim; 27gp, 0g, 2a, 2pts, -6, 33pim
D - Cody Goloubef (Springfield - AHL) - 41gp, 6g, 14a, 20pts, +9, 61pim
D - Dillon Heatherington (Swift Current - WHL) - 49gp, 4g, 25a, 29pts, +22, 43pim
D - Mike Reilly (Minnesota - NCAA) - 23gp, 8g, 10a, 18pts, +16, 12pim

G - Oscar Dansk (Erie - OHL) - 28gp, 21-5-1-0, 6so, 2.12gaa, 0.921sv%
G - Anton Forsberg (MODO - SHL) - 43gp, 8-3-7, 0so, 2.72gaa, 0.912sv%
G - Joonas Korpisalo (Jokerit - Liiga)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
C - Boone Jenner (Columbus - NHL) - 41gp, 8g, 5a, 13pts, +4, 26pim
C - Alexander Wennberg (Frolunda -SHL) - 38gp, 15g, 4a, 19pts, -4, 8pim
C - Marko Dano (Bratislava Slovan - KHL) - 36gp, 2g, 2a, 4pts, -12, 34pim
C - Michael Chaput (Springfield - AHL; Columbus - NHL) - 24gp, 10g, 9a, 19pts, +3, 26pim; 17gp, 0g, 1a, 1pts, +0, 2pim
C - Jonathan Audy-Marchessault (Springfield - AHL) - 42gp, 12g, 18a, 30pts, -5, 47pim

LW - Kerby Rychel (Guelph - OHL) - 38gp, 21g, 35a, 56pts, +25, 23pim

RW - Cam Atkinson (Columbus - NHL) - 51gp, 15g, 12a, 27pts, -1, 12pim
RW - Oliver Bjorkstrand (Portland - WHL) - 47gp, 33g, 37a, 70pts, +24, 20pim
RW - Daniel Zaar (Rogle - Allsvenskan) - 39gp, 12g, 14a, 26pts, +2, 22pim
RW - Nick Moutrey (Saginaw - OHL) - 48gp, 12g, 15a, 27pts, +3, 54pim

D - Ryan Murray (Columbus - NHL) - 51gp, 3g, 15a, 18pts, +1, 10pim
D - David Savard (Columbus - NHL) - 42gp, 3g, 8a, 11pts, +6, 18pim
D - Tim Erixon (Springfield - AHL; Columbus -NHL) - 25gp, 4g, 19a, 23pts, +6, 8pim; 2gp, 0g, 0a, 0pts, +2, 2pim
D - Dalton Prout (Sprinfield - AHL; Columbus - NHL) - 3gp, 0g, 0a, 0pts, +0, 2pim; 27gp, 0g, 2a, 2pts, -6, 33pim
D - Cody Goloubef (Springfield - AHL) - 41gp, 6g, 14a, 20pts, +9, 61pim
D - Dillon Heatherington (Swift Current - WHL) - 49gp, 4g, 25a, 29pts, +22, 43pim
D - Mike Reilly (Minnesota - NCAA) - 23gp, 8g, 10a, 18pts, +16, 12pim

G - Oscar Dansk (Erie - OHL) - 28gp, 21-5-1-0, 6so, 2.12gaa, 0.921sv%
G - Anton Forsberg (MODO - SHL) - 43gp, 8-3-7, 0so, 2.72gaa, 0.912sv%
G - Joonas Korpisalo (Jokerit - Liiga)

Why is it so hard for us to find LWs :laugh: But overall I really love what we have going on. Gotta be right around top 5 pools in the league. Nice mix, got a little of everything in every position.
Also a couple of the centers, mainly Dano and Wennberg can play wing aswell. I see Dano playing wing in the NHL and could form a very agitating, physical yet skilled 3rd line with Jenner. Wennberg I see sticking as a center because of his speed, defensive ability and the fact he likes the puck on his stick.
EDIT: Reilly is a guy I feel sometimes gets forgotten about. If his game translates well imagine him with Prout or even Heatherington (If he develops the way I'm pretty confident he will) as a 3rd pair. Plus him with Murray or Erixon on a pp unit.
There is going to be some big decisions in the next couple years on the defensemen because there are just going to be too many looking for a shot

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Why is it so hard for us to find LWs :laugh: But overall I really love what we have going on. Gotta be right around top 5 pools in the league. Nice mix, got a little of everything in every position.
Also a couple of the centers, mainly Dano and Wennberg can play wing aswell. I see Dano playing wing in the NHL and could form a very agitating, physical yet skilled 3rd line with Jenner. Wennberg I see sticking as a center because of his speed, defensive ability and the fact he likes the puck on his stick.
EDIT: Reilly is a guy I feel sometimes gets forgotten about. If his game translates well imagine him with Prout or even Heatherington (If he develops the way I'm pretty confident he will) as a 3rd pair. Plus him with Murray or Erixon on a pp unit.
There is going to be some big decisions in the next couple years on the defensemen because there are just going to be too many looking for a shot

Yeah, I only did our top 20 that we voted on, but I do find it interesting that there is only 1 LW. I love our group. That doesn't even include Johansen who is younger than quite a few of the guys on the list. I have only seen Reilly play a little bit, but I like him too.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Thought I would give you guys an update on Peter Quenneville

35 points in 30 games so far. Really playing well the last 10 games or so though. Adjusted well to the league. Great passer and vision and sneaky hard shot. Enjoying himself it looks like playing with his younger brother. Excellent powerplay man. A big reason the Wheaties are the 2nd hottest team in the WHL the past 2 months.

Is he on the Blue Jackets radar at all? Well he get signed this summer or do you guys think he will come back as an overager to the Wheat Kings?

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Joonas Korpisalo is playing his first game in Ilves and he has 9 saves after first period (his team leads 1-0).

E: Korpisalo with a shutout (27/27), Ilves wins 5-0.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Thought I would give you guys an update on Peter Quenneville

35 points in 30 games so far. Really playing well the last 10 games or so though. Adjusted well to the league. Great passer and vision and sneaky hard shot. Enjoying himself it looks like playing with his younger brother. Excellent powerplay man. A big reason the Wheaties are the 2nd hottest team in the WHL the past 2 months.

Is he on the Blue Jackets radar at all? Well he get signed this summer or do you guys think he will come back as an overager to the Wheat Kings?

Joonas Korpisalo is playing his first game in Ilves and he has 9 saves after first period (his team leads 1-0).

E: Korpisalo with a shutout (27/27), Ilves wins 5-0.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad