Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
If Ouellette gets signed, then the goaltending situation in Springfield and Evansville next season could get interesting.

Forsberg likely will come over and Dansk could be signed and play in the AHL/ECHL (or return to the OHL for a 3rd season).

Mike McKenna is now leading the AHL with a 1.92 GAA and Jeremy Smith has played well, so keeping one as a veteran would also be an option.

Even Springfield-signed Mike Clemente in Evansville could be in the mix. He was at one point leading the ECHL in GAA and has outplaying better known, drafted players like Christopher Gibson, Mac Carruth and Andrey Makarov and deserves to be playing in the AHL.

Finally the Jackets are going to have some great goaltending depth at the professional level.

Palinka

Dec 19, 2007
If Ouellette gets signed, then the goaltending situation in Springfield and Evansville next season could get interesting.

Forsberg likely will come over and Dansk could be signed and play in the AHL/ECHL (or return to the OHL for a 3rd season).

Mike McKenna is now leading the AHL with a 1.92 GAA and Jeremy Smith has played well, so keeping one as a veteran would also be an option.

Even Springfield-signed Mike Clemente in Evansville could be in the mix. He was at one point leading the ECHL in GAA and has outplaying better known, drafted players like Christopher Gibson, Mac Carruth and Andrey Makarov and deserves to be playing in the AHL.

Finally the Jackets are going to have some great goaltending depth at the professional level.

Just my opinion, but I expect to see Dansk signed and then sent back to Erie in pretty short order. There's no need to get him into pro hockey when they can slide his contract, especially if Erie continues to play at a high level.

Ouellette...I remember a time when other schools were so terrified of Maine that if it was heard that they were looking at an unknown prospect, everyone else would line up to offer that kid as well. The thinking was that if Maine knew who he was, and if Maine was willing to offer a scholarship, then this must be a great player. One guy in particular used to refer to them as either the Midas Black Bears or the Maine Golden Bears. It was corny as hell, but it had to do with the fact that it seemed like any kid they brought in would excel. Even if he couldn't make it in the pros at any level, he'd be a superb college player like Chris Imes or someone.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
unless Oullette has really grown up from his first go round here, i don't see us signing him...pretty sure I see the goalie situation next year being Jeremy Smith and Forsberg in Springy, Dansk in Erie one more year and us drafting another one by round 4 since Korpisalo seems to be struggling a bit as insurance...

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Dansk now leads the OHL in GAA.

Rychel is having another great year in Windsor as well.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
unless Oullette has really grown up from his first go round here, i don't see us signing him...

Oullette has been standing on his head for Maine the last two seasons. Back to back shutouts this season. He has a .930 save percentage in 10 games.

It's not the same as Mathieu Corbeil who had great stats and went to the Memorial Cup playing behind an amazing team and didn't get signed. Oullette has been winning games for a less than stellar Maine team.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
that's my whole point...its Maine...he's doing this against from what i understand largely lesser opposition...i'm glad he's doing what he is...but I am just not sold that he gets signed from this...

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
that's my whole point...its Maine...he's doing this against from what i understand largely lesser opposition...i'm glad he's doing what he is...but I am just not sold that he gets signed from this...

He just shut out BU who's 3rd in the Hockey East standings. The other shutout was against Vermont.

Maine isn't a powerhouse in Hockey East anymore, but Ouelette is keeping them in games. They play Boston College next weekend.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Don't know what they will do with the goalie contracts; but Ouellette has obviously improved a lot.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 3m
"@RobSnoekLIVE: OHL: Anderson/Laughton/Rychel;Domi/McDavid/Brown;DelColle/Gaunce/Nastasiuk; McGinn/Horvat/Kosmachuk. pic.twitter.com/l1tFu1g2zw"

Anderson and Rychel on a line together for Subway Series matchup tonight...

bizzz*

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 3m
"@RobSnoekLIVE: OHL: Anderson/Laughton/Rychel;Domi/McDavid/Brown;DelColle/Gaunce/Nastasiuk; McGinn/Horvat/Kosmachuk. pic.twitter.com/l1tFu1g2zw"

Anderson and Rychel on a line together for Subway Series matchup tonight...

Watching the game now. They changed lines. Rychel is playing with McDavid and Domi, Anderson with Laughton and Brown.
Rychel just scored 1st goal for the OHL. That was a nice snipe with McDavid screening Russian goalie. 2:1 Russia so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
How Ilari Melart has been playing?

About as expected - but in the American Hockey League instead of the NHL. He's been a physical/stay at home presence down there ... not playing over his head. I still think his signing was a bit of a head scratcher for us, as deep as we are on defense in our system. It's not that he's been disappointing, but he's far from making anyone expendable.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Surprised noone commented more on the superseries. Rychel had a goal and finished checks but does a lot of coasting in the defensive side. has crazy speed when he senses an offensive chance. Overall not too bad.
As for Anderson though the guy is everything you want in a bottom 6. Finishes checks, back checks, gets offensive chances... just does everything right. He's a coaches player for sure, kinda seems like a bigger Calvert but his hands aren't quite as good. Pretty impressed with him, hopefully plays his way onto the world junior team.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Surprised noone commented more on the superseries. Rychel had a goal and finished checks but does a lot of coasting in the defensive side. has crazy speed when he senses an offensive chance. Overall not too bad.
As for Anderson though the guy is everything you want in a bottom 6. Finishes checks, back checks, gets offensive chances... just does everything right. He's a coaches player for sure, kinda seems like a bigger Calvert but his hands aren't quite as good. Pretty impressed with him, hopefully plays his way onto the world junior team.

Unfortunately, for the first time in forever, I missed the series due to health complications. Otherwise, I would have been all over it.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Ah wondered what was up, hope all is well. when watching just to take notice of some prospects there were some standouts but when watching game 1 as an actual hockey game... it was bad. Few hits from behind, really bad knee on knee (not the intent of say Edler on Staal but it was on the OHL player for sure. Walcott I believe).
Anderson and McGinn were the names you heard most for team OHL and Tolchinsky, Zadorov and another guy who's name i forget for Russia. Russia's goalie was amazing. Zadorov was by far the best player on the ice. He and Anderson were getting the most praise all night from the commentators.
Young guys like Dal Colle and McDavid were non factors minus a couple big chances for Mcdavid. Ekblad was solid but nothing special

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
He just shut out BU who's 3rd in the Hockey East standings. The other shutout was against Vermont.

Maine isn't a powerhouse in Hockey East anymore, but Ouelette is keeping them in games. They play Boston College next weekend.

Maine beat Boston College (ranked #7 on USCHO.com's Division 1 poll) 5-1. Ouellette had 33 saves.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Ah wondered what was up, hope all is well. when watching just to take notice of some prospects there were some standouts but when watching game 1 as an actual hockey game... it was bad. Few hits from behind, really bad knee on knee (not the intent of say Edler on Staal but it was on the OHL player for sure. Walcott I believe).
Anderson and McGinn were the names you heard most for team OHL and Tolchinsky, Zadorov and another guy who's name i forget for Russia. Russia's goalie was amazing. Zadorov was by far the best player on the ice. He and Anderson were getting the most praise all night from the commentators.
Young guys like Dal Colle and McDavid were non factors minus a couple big chances for Mcdavid. Ekblad was solid but nothing special

Hernia surgery ... so far so good.

Thanks for the updates, certainly disappointed that I missed it!

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Hat trick for Bjorkstrand

Game Summary: http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/65699

Oliver Bjorkstrand netted his second hat trick of the season tonight (first since September 28th) in the Spokane Arena and now has 21 goals, 27 assists in just 27 games played, good enough for third in the WHL in scoring.

Bjorkstrand's first goal was a back door play that saw him fire a laser, sniping just inside of the corner where the post and crossbar meet, glove side. A beauty, as they say around the rink.

His second was on the powerplay, and for some reason I thought Taylor Leier scored it, but indeed it was Oliver. I think I had turned away from the play briefly (corralling two kids); which is why I was confused on it. Perhaps the game recap will jog my memory - but it's been a long day and I truly don't remember :laugh:. His third goal was on the empty net, kept the puck in at the blueline and fired it into the net.

Really, other than his goals, he wasn't a standout player for the Hawks tonight and I wouldn't have considered him in my top 3-or-4 forwards for the game. He was very opportunistic, especially on his first goal ... that shot was really something to behold. My thoughts on him are still the same - I want to see him be more assertive and consistent in his play; especially when it comes to backchecking and playing two-way hockey. There was one occasion where he took a cross-check to the side of the head from Chiefs defender Cole Wedman - who checks in at 6'3" - and he fired back at him after the whistle ... so, he can mix it up when need be.

With his hands, vision, and shot, there is a lot to be excited about with this kid.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Game Summary: http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/65699

Oliver Bjorkstrand netted his second hat trick of the season tonight (first since September 28th) in the Spokane Arena and now has 21 goals, 27 assists in just 27 games played, good enough for third in the WHL in scoring.

Bjorkstrand's first goal was a back door play that saw him fire a laser, sniping just inside of the corner where the post and crossbar meet, glove side. A beauty, as they say around the rink.

His second was on the powerplay, and for some reason I thought Taylor Leier scored it, but indeed it was Oliver. I think I had turned away from the play briefly (corralling two kids); which is why I was confused on it. Perhaps the game recap will jog my memory - but it's been a long day and I truly don't remember :laugh:. His third goal was on the empty net, kept the puck in at the blueline and fired it into the net.

Really, other than his goals, he wasn't a standout player for the Hawks tonight and I wouldn't have considered him in my top 3-or-4 forwards for the game. He was very opportunistic, especially on his first goal ... that shot was really something to behold. My thoughts on him are still the same - I want to see him be more assertive and consistent in his play; especially when it comes to backchecking and playing two-way hockey. There was one occasion where he took a cross-check to the side of the head from Chiefs defender Cole Wedman - who checks in at 6'3" - and he fired back at him after the whistle ... so, he can mix it up when need be.

With his hands, vision, and shot, there is a lot to be excited about with this kid.

Now only if he can put them all together and use them to his advantage he could be the complete package. Even if he takes "Johansen" time to develop. Not that it took forever, people just expected more, sooner from him being such a high pick. Bjorkstrand however being such a late pick I think he'll surprise a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad