Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NYR] Adam McQuaid for 2019 4th and 7th round picks and Julius Bergman

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
So a 3rd and CGY 7th is available

1st OUT Matt Duchene trade
2nd OUT William Karlsson expansion draft trade
3rd STILL AVAILABLE
4th OUT McQuaid's trade
5th OUT for 2018th 6th round (Tim Berni)
6th OUT Ryan MacInnis trade
7th OUT McQuaid's trade
7th IN (from CGY) with Duclair's trade

LOL.

nothing left!!!!

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
No problems with a team hoping to win the Cup trading 4th and 7th for a depth defenseman... but McQuaid sucks. So yeah, questionable.

Wizards27

Feb 25, 2019
No one has mentioned the impact on the ufa's going for it and trying to win makes. Perhaps these moves convince players to stay in Columbus.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Neither TSN or Sportsnet have Bergman as part of this.
These guys are good at breaking trades, but they don't really bother to follow through.
It was missed from their inside information, and I doubt they'll go back to say anything.

Just like they won't follow through on what year the Hendricks, Beaulieu, Kiselevich, Del Zotto picks were, or the fact that they're still saying Florida traded Jurco to Carolina (Jurco was on AHL contract...)

su24

Sep 30, 2017
The Jackets drafted him many years ago, but he refused to sign with them. Now they gonna make him rot in the pressbox. Don't mess with Columbus, they gonna make you to pay back sooner or later...

Reactions: Fro

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
I love these threads. Bob is having an awful season, no one wants him and he sucks in the playoffs.

Next thread - You should trade him, you're stupid if you lose him for nothing.

Next thread - why should we trade anything for him when we can sign him in the summer for free (which should be interesting because about 4 teams are all planning to sign him for free)

Next thread - your team will never survive without him.

In summary he sucks but you will never survive without him. You are stupid if you don't trade him but no one will give you anything for him because they can sign him for free.

What to do? What to do?

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
Odds are CBJ and Minnesota both end the year cupless, but the Wild won't see 3 hugely valuable pieces walk for nothing and then go to the draft with two picks.

True but Minnesota won't be going into July 1 with $30M in cap space. Columbus will have a lot of cap space if all their UFA's walk. Columbus was saving roughly $20M just to resign Bob & Panarin somebody is going to want that money.

Reactions: egelband

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Bergman was a good prospect for the Sharks. He just got overtaken by a few guys on the depth chart. Surprised no one wants to keep him. He still could become a bottom pairing guy

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
Us Sharks fans were actually pretty excited about Bergman a few years back. I'm going to assume he hasn't developed very well though considering he's 23, in the minors, and has already been traded three times in the last calendar year.

Reactions: egelband

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
Us Sharks fans were actually pretty excited about Bergman a few years back. I'm going to assume he hasn't developed very well though considering he's 23, in the minors, and has already been traded three times in the last calendar year.
I think part of the movement now is that he is an extra contract towards the max on a player that has publicly said he is going home. I really hope the NYR let him come up and have a cup of coffee with the big club, since one of his reasons he sited for going home is lack of chance at the NHL. Worst it could do is lose us a few games, and really, that is a plus at this point not a minus.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Lol what happens when Columbus goes out in the first round? And all their UFAs walk?

well, since losing in the first round is the Best the organization has ever done, it will be business usual

Honestly, Columbus still has a lot of really good players locked up, they have the best prospect pool
in their history, and will have a boat load of money to spend over the summer if the high dollar UFA's leave

There comes a time when you have to say WTF, 20 years of losing, how much worse can they do?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think part of the movement now is that he is an extra contract towards the max on a player that has publicly said he is going home. I really hope the NYR let him come up and have a cup of coffee with the big club, since one of his reasons he sited for going home is lack of chance at the NHL. Worst it could do is lose us a few games, and really, that is a plus at this point not a minus.

bernmeister seal of approval

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
So Panarin isn’t part of their core? Or how about Bobrovsky? How can you say they have locked up there core for the future? Their two best players aren’t signed?

And if you think they have enough top end talent to win a cup with what is on their roster, is foolish. They haven’t even got close with Panarin and Bob. It’s foolish think to think that would change without their two best players.
As an aside, Columbus is now the only team that can sign Panarin and Bob to 8 year deals. Have you heard of the possibility of a sign an trade before July 1st? Columbus didn't give up any of their top prospects and the risk of moving their draft picks given they are the youngest team in the NHL is low risk. Yes, it hurts when Panarin and Bob leave but the cupboard isn't bare and they have time to recoup assets after they make a run.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
here’s the thing. if your all star goaltender and offensive leader are leaving, and they know they’ll miss the playoffs next year.

they just will.

so you rebuild and put together a pretty good team and then your players just leave without you ever getting a real shot at a cup run.... what do you do? i like that he knows this will be their only shot, so he’s gonna make sure it’s going to be their best shot. you already have next written off, just go for it.
Just to comment... Columbus had 108 pts before Panarin arrived. The addition of Dzingel and Duchene (I expect them to sign both) will keep them at a high level. This is still a playoff team next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad