Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NYR] Adam McQuaid for 2019 4th and 7th round picks and Julius Bergman

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Odds are CBJ and Minnesota both end the year cupless, but the Wild won't see 3 hugely valuable pieces walk for nothing and then go to the draft with two picks.

Plus there's also the third option of being realistic, moving the huge pending UFAs who won't commit, and reloading for a quick turnaround.
Duchene and Dzingle re-sign. Panarin signs for 8 years and is traded for a good return. Bob...who knows about Bob. If the Panthers are truly interested in both he could do an 8 year deal and be traded as well. Columbus remains deep with a great D core and excellent Goaltending pipeline. They also are deep up front. What they'll lack is a game breaking talent like Panarin.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
As an aside, Columbus is now the only team that can sign Panarin and Bob to 8 year deals. Have you heard of the possibility of a sign an trade before July 1st? Columbus didn't give up any of their top prospects and the risk of moving their draft picks given they are the youngest team in the NHL is low risk. Yes, it hurts when Panarin and Bob leave but the cupboard isn't bare and they have time to recoup assets after they make a run.

When was the last time a sign and trade happened? Why should a ufa shot himself in the knee when he just can wait and choose his team by his own? The only possible to get something for Bob and Panarin is with trading their negotiating rights. See teams offering a third for the rights of negotiating with Panarin before free agency starts but nothing more

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I absolutely love the all-in moves by Cbus this year and I hope they rip through the Metro-bracket.

That being said, McQuaid isn't good at hockey. Ney, I'd say he's bad at it.
Luckily the cost was low.

Reactions: Ori

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Duchene and Dzingle re-sign. Panarin signs for 8 years and is traded for a good return. Bob...who knows about Bob. If the Panthers are truly interested in both he could do an 8 year deal and be traded as well. Columbus remains deep with a great D core and excellent Goaltending pipeline. They also are deep up front. What they'll lack is a game breaking talent like Panarin.

Why exactly would Panarin and Bob sign an 8 year deal with Columbus? It makes absolutely no sense. Even if they are the only team that can sign them to 8 years? They have both made it known they don’t want to be there. So to expect them to sign a deal that may get them stuck in columbus for another 8 years is some of the most wishful thinking I have seen on this site.

Add in the fact that a team would have to be severely stupid to be trading for Bob on an 8 year deal. Panarin I could see getting 6-7 years.

Face it that there’s no way either of these two sign a deal with columbus in hopes of getting traded. It’s simply not happening.

Also wishful thinking that Dzingel or Duchene will resign at this point. They didn’t sign an extension like Stone has already. They will both also, more than likely, test out the FA market.

Columbus fans just need to admit to themselves that Columbus is just not a very attractive place to be for a FA hockey player.

Reactions: haveandare

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
I truthfully don't think Bob wants out of Columbus, quite the opposite actually. Bob wants Columbus to give him $80 to $88M over the next 8 years. His agent said he is the only goalie on the planet with 2 Vezina trophies so he should be paid more than Price who only has 1. Maybe he is as good as Price and deserves Price money maybe not, the trouble is I don't think Price deserves Price money! Bob negotiated all summer with the Blue Jackets and could not come to a deal. Why would he do that if he wanted out. Bob only wants out because Columbus won't pay him more than Price. It will be interesting to see who will. I saw a Florida poster suggest they would sign him for 6.5M/yr on a 5 or 6 year deal. I doubt that. He is making 7.45M now and is currently the 3rd highest paid goalie so I doubt he will be looking for a pay cut in free agency.

What makes you think Dzingel won't sign in Columbus? He went to Ohio State and said this week he considers Columbus his second home. He was also quoted as saying if Columbus wants him to stay it is highly likely that it will happen.

Reactions: bernmeister

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
You didn't want them to upgrade their defense and their creampuffery?
At least Columbus still knows how important a guy like McQuaid can be in the last quarter of the season when the going get physical and heated . McQuaid fearless guy and great teammate . He will definitely help them in those games with Wilson and Johnston -Isles involved . How much playoff action he sees might depend on the health of a few in front of him....but he is still cheap insurance and can play if he is needed . Good solid pick up and brings a Ring into the room . I would not want to play them in the first round .

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Why exactly would Panarin and Bob sign an 8 year deal with Columbus? It makes absolutely no sense. Even if they are the only team that can sign them to 8 years? They have both made it known they don’t want to be there. So to expect them to sign a deal that may get them stuck in columbus for another 8 years is some of the most wishful thinking I have seen on this site.

Add in the fact that a team would have to be severely stupid to be trading for Bob on an 8 year deal. Panarin I could see getting 6-7 years.

Face it that there’s no way either of these two sign a deal with columbus in hopes of getting traded. It’s simply not happening.

Also wishful thinking that Dzingel or Duchene will resign at this point. They didn’t sign an extension like Stone has already. They will both also, more than likely, test out the FA market.

Columbus fans just need to admit to themselves that Columbus is just not a very attractive place to be for a FA hockey player.
"G-ddamnit, y'all suck and always suck and always have sucked and always will suck and STOP TRYING TO CONTRADICT THIS DAMNIT YOU'RE GOING TO SUCK"

I always figured we'd get our most persistent haters from actually winning games over teams, not from disrupting the status quo by having the audacity to be competitive and noticeable. Go figure.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
"G-ddamnit, y'all suck and always suck and always have sucked and always will suck and STOP TRYING TO CONTRADICT THIS DAMNIT YOU'RE GOING TO SUCK"

I always figured we'd get our most persistent haters from actually winning games over teams, not from disrupting the status quo by having the audacity to be competitive and noticeable. Go figure.

I’m not saying the team sucks. I’m saying that it seems like no one wants to be in the city of Columbus.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
This ain't the NBA, that will never happen. Teams are not gonna give up big assets to do this, it's why it has never happened before.

If I'm clb, Ima just be happy that your team is better, hope for a run in the playoffs, try and sign who you can in free agency that makes you better and then go from there.

I still think they will have enough left over to be fighting for wildcard next year, add to the team when you can and trade for picks when it makes sense.

I don't think you guys are in a dire situation as some of these poster make it out to be and I don't think what jarmo did is somthing that will sink the team or make him lose his Job.

I think he feels it's close for the team and he feels trading off players and starting over is pointless when your knocking on the door. As a fan that's what I want him to do, your not guaranteed to be here again no matter what you do.

Your not guaranteed to be bad either when you lose top players just look at the nyi. like I said I think with a couple add here and there they will back with the playoff contention group.

My opinion anyways cuz I know how much my cousins loves it as a Columbus resident and fan. Having been through the LeBron departure they are prepared for any players leaving.

Last edited:

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
It seems like everyone rushes to get their guy signed to an 8 year deal, then are trying to move that boat anchor contract by about year 3. This league does the classic FOMO/ buyers remorse combo hard.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I’m not saying the team sucks. I’m saying that it seems like no one wants to be in the city of Columbus.
No body in sports wants to be in any city if they arent winning or cant make money. If you are paid well and are winning you only spend your work time in the city and go where ever the f*** you want in the offseason. Majority or athletes dont care about a city they care about money and winning the actual city love comes after time there. People that want to live in a big city for the life arent the players Id want because its more likely they dont focus on the sport but care more about the life style.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Why would Panarin re-sign then be traded when he could just not re-sign and personally choose what team and deal he wants? Same with Bob. Why would he sign with CBJ and then be traded when he'll be UFA and can just sign with the second team directly?

Duchene might re-sign, but he's 28 at this point and has never really been on a top contending team. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes his chance to go anywhere to go to a team with a closer shot to win.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Why would Panarin re-sign then be traded when he could just not re-sign and personally choose what team and deal he wants? Same with Bob. Why would he sign with CBJ and then be traded when he'll be UFA and can just sign with the second team directly?

Duchene might re-sign, but he's 28 at this point and has never really been on a top contending team. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes his chance to go anywhere to go to a team with a closer shot to win.
So...let's see. I'm the Panthers and I want Panarin. I talk to Panarin's agent and CBJ during the open period before July 1st and express an interest in signing him but would really like that 8th year. Hmmm how am I going to get the 8th year of an elite forward when he's not on my team. Oh yeah, maybe, just maybe I can work a deal with Columbus to sign him to a contract we would agree to for, yup, you guessed it 8 years. Then trade him to Florida.

So, in a nutshell, he isn't really signing with Columbus, he's signing with the team of his choice after going through the free agency discussion period (whatever they call it) and the two teams work out a deal. Get it?

Now, I'm not fool to think this is going to happen but that's the scenario that could happen and is a real possibility. It's been discussed by hockey pundits already (not just Panarin but others).

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Another one that doesn't get the scenario. See above.

And I don't believe these two will quit the game. Even if Columbus does suck. I mean it's horrible there.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
So...let's see. I'm the Panthers and I want Panarin. I talk to Panarin's agent and CBJ during the open period before July 1st and express an interest in signing him but would really like that 8th year. Hmmm how am I going to get the 8th year of an elite forward when he's not on my team. Oh yeah, maybe, just maybe I can work a deal with Columbus to sign him to a contract we would agree to for, yup, you guessed it 8 years. Then trade him to Florida.

So, in a nutshell, he isn't really signing with Columbus, he's signing with the team of his choice after going through the free agency discussion period (whatever they call it) and the two teams work out a deal. Get it?

Now, I'm not fool to think this is going to happen but that's the scenario that could happen and is a real possibility. It's been discussed by hockey pundits already (not just Panarin but others).
I seriously doubt any team cares enough about getting Panarin's 35 year old season that they're going to trade a real asset today for it when they could just sign him for 7 years, avoid an extra year with risk for the player seriously slowing down, and keep the asset.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Another one that doesn't get the scenario. See above.

And I don't believe these two will quit the game. Even if Columbus does suck. I mean it's horrible there.

I hope you know how unlikely the scenario is to happen.

I’d bet money on it.

Reactions: kevrondl

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I seriously doubt any team cares enough about getting Panarin's 35 year old season that they're going to trade a real asset today for it when they could just sign him for 7 years, avoid an extra year with risk for the player seriously slowing down, and keep the asset.

I’d honestly be surprised if any team wanted to give him 8 years to begin with. Panarin has an outside shot but very low odds.

A team would be asinine to give 8 years to Bob.

Reactions: bernmeister

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Wow geez what a toughie, do I want a 35 year old Panarin at 10 million, or do I want to keep my picks and assets instead.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010

Would that EXTRA 1 year make it or break it though?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
What's going on here?

McQuaid was brought in for depth as well as cup experience to a team that has none. When the Jackets D is healthy (=Murray comes back) he’s likely a scratch every night, right now with Murray injured he’s in and out.

Just a plus if he plays himself into the regular #6 spot but i doubt Jarmo was banking on that.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad