Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NYR] Adam McQuaid for 2019 4th and 7th round picks and Julius Bergman

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Would that EXTRA 1 year make it or break it though?
Good question. I certainly don't know the answer but I don't think the extra year is something to be ignored. If that were the case other players would hit the market rather than sign 8 years. I recognize the odds are not likely but if there is a market where teams want Panarin, or anyone, for 8 years and not 7 (that is also an agent drive to get the 8th year) then what I'm suggesting isn't completely ridiculous as some might believe.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Wow geez what a toughie, do I want a 35 year old Panarin at 10 million, or do I want to keep my picks and assets instead.
You're right. For some, that is a tough question. GMs do some crazy things when in a competitive environment and it's not like Panarin plays a game that would have him worthless at 35. I mean Look at Luongo at 40ish in a more demanding position. And his contract has a serious drop off in real money. I get it. You can be snarky all you want but it's a real possibility, not an impossibility as you and few other might believe. We'll just wait until after the season and see what happens. Columbus took a risk. Usually that's not done without some plan of action moving forward.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Wow geez what a toughie, do I want a 35 year old Panarin at 10 million, or do I want to keep my picks and assets instead.

It's not just to have Panarin on your team for the 8th year but to also make sure you get him in the first place. I don't think Panarin and his camp want to even discuss signing a less than 8 year contract before entering free agency. If he can negotiate the 8th year with some team, whether it's Columbus or Florida or anyone, he could potentially sign it before July 1st. That way Panarin gets more term and the team signing him avoids the FA bidding war.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
It's not just to have Panarin on your team for the 8th year but to also make sure you get him in the first place. I don't think Panarin and his camp want to even discuss signing a less than 8 year contract before entering free agency. If he can negotiate the 8th year with some team, whether it's Columbus or Florida or anyone, he could potentially sign it before July 1st. That way Panarin gets more term and the team signing him avoids the FA bidding war.
As far as I'm aware, a sign and trade has never happened in the NHL and yet Panarin won't even discuss anything less than 8 years?(which only CBJ can offer)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
As far as I'm aware, a sign and trade has never happened in the NHL and yet Panarin won't even discuss anything less than 8 years?(which only CBJ can offer)

A team could trade for Panarins rights prior to free agency and try to sign him to an 8 year deal . Those type of deals happened before albeit i don't think 8 year deals came out of it so far.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
McQuaid was brought in for depth as well as cup experience to a team that has none. When the Jackets D is healthy (=Murray comes back) he’s likely a scratch every night, right now with Murray injured he’s in and out.

Just a plus if he plays himself into the regular #6 spot but i doubt Jarmo was banking on that.

Mid-late round picks are overvvalued for a team in columbus's position TBH.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Don't you think a team like Columbus of all teams should be valuing every pick they have at this point? They barely have any left

Who cares about 7th round picks? They still have their 1st next year if Duchene leaves. While 4th are decent value picks A 4th round pick this year might help them in 2021 at the absolute earliest, for a team in a win now position with their best forward 99% leaving this summer.

Too many GM's in this league play it safe and make meh moves to save their job security. You never win in this league by being timid.

Reactions: Monk

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
A team could trade for Panarins rights prior to free agency and try to sign him to an 8 year deal . Those type of deals happened before albeit i don't think 8 year deals came out of it so far.
I believe the rule is that a player has to be on the roster by the trade deadline in order to eligible for the 8th year

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

It might have never happened but it kinda makes sense here. Why would he discuss a less than 8 year contract right now? He can get that from free agency, anywhere he wants, at top money. Only Columbus can offer him 8 years indeed, but the idea here is that someone else negotiates the 8 year contract with Panarin, Columbus just does the paperwork and then trades him.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Who cares about 7th round picks? They still have their 1st next year if Duchene leaves. While 4th are decent value picks A 4th round pick this year might help them in 2021 at the absolute earliest, for a team in a win now position with their best forward 99% leaving this summer.

Too many GM's in this league play it safe and make meh moves to save their job security. You never win in this league by being timid.
I would argue that teams who go all out at the deadline don’t really perform all that much better than the teams that keep it low key.

I mean, the best deadline move last year was Kempny for a third.

Reactions: kevrondl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad