Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NJD] Blue Jackets trade D Ryan Murray to Devils for 2021 5th round pick

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Columbus goes to big fish hunting. If they needed to save money they could have waited for better returns for Nuvi and Murray. Only reason to trade them at this moment is to make cap room for signingns.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Murray's a solid D but injury prone. That's a smart move by Jarmo, getting rid of money for minimal value but right before GM's might start paying to get rid of solid players and their contracts.

As much as I love the "Chiarelli's seal of approval", I don't think it's fitting here at all..

Reactions: Laus723

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
I read many times that Murray when healthy is a first pair dman by a certain rabid Cbj fan :laugh::laugh:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Injury prone player with one year left. I don't see the problem here - assuming the money is spent on someone like Hall.

And something tells me the Blue Jackets did check the market - and this was the best they got.

I like what they are doing. By tomorrow I think they got a fair shot at being a very very good team. Obviously uncertainty comes with these kind of changes, but I could certainly see this working.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
The picture I used is from Chiarelli's Tobias Fünke phase.

0em8Lql.jpg
The legend has it: if you look real closely you can see Tobias Fünke with blue paint standing behind Chiarelli.

Tobias getting ready to head out for said press conference.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
He has to prove he can play at least 65 games first. However, considering it's only a 5th this would qualify as a low risk / high reward move.
even if he is only able to give them 40 games, it's a win for the devils. they have nothing on the left side of their defense. they should still invest two more 5th rounders to get two spots covered for the season.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Have to look at these moves in the big picture imo.... Between the buyout of Wennberg and these 2 trades, I believe Jarmo has opened up close to $12mil in capspace today alone. Throw Dubinsky on LTIR, re-sign Dubois and Gavrikov.... and potentially still have plenty of room to make a play for a big ticket free agent

Jarmo definitely isn't afraid to make a splash

Or perhaps they have an internal budget. Hardly an authority on all things Columbus....

Still a pretty good looking D, which is pretty insane considering
they would have opened the same amount of cap space, if jarmo asked for 4th or for a 3rd or ...

maybe murray is close to ltir and his salary is not covered insurance, else the return doesn't make sense for columbus.

the devils got kuokkanen and a conditional 3rd for injured vatanen.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Is there any chance this is Jarmo playing 4D chess to handcuff other teams by wrecking the market cost to move cap? Teams with trades conditional on cap moves are stuck allowing Jarmo to skip the line. It might also mean that he's knocking out some of his eastern competitors with cheap calories. Could he also use it in UFA negotiations to force lower AAV?

For instance VGK would almost have to pony up two firsts to move MAF cap. Jersey might be totally neutered in a bidding war with certain guys by taking nearly 5 mil. The assets you could pick up for nothing in UFA could easily be worth the losses on your assets and more. He could recoup all the diff and more by tagging Barrie and Vatanen for instance.

Could this be his plan?

He's had crazy ideas before that in the end he had the last laugh.
nj has only three rfa (blackwood, bratt, anderson) to sign and still ~22 million in cap space with 13 players signed to contracts. blackwood and bratt both should be in the 3-4m range dependent on the term. anderson should be a cheap bridge. several players on elc (smith, kuokkanen, boqvist, bastian, bahl, etc.) will get a chance to earn a roster spot. they still have a cushion to sign a fa or accept salary in a trade. they might also to move on from palimieri and/or gusev and include them in trades before they turn fa next summer.

but i agree, moving cap probably won't get any easier. early movers imo will do better in deals:
  • kapanen returned a first
  • staal cost a second
  • murray returned a fifth
this turns quickly in a buyer's market.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This trade is really bad for the board. Going to be used for all sorts of terrible benchmarks for years to come.

Hedman for a 2nd anyone?
nah
hedman is a little bit long in the tooth and nearly costs 8m per. also signed until age 34. give me slavin instead and i add a c prospect.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
you still better ice 6d every game. :nod:
That’s not what I wrote. I said it’s “meh” IF he only plays 40 games and leaves via UFA

Still worth the risk of a 5th for NJ (as I also said), but not really a heist in that scenario.

He’s not had a good history of staying healthy. If he does stay healthy, it’s a no brainer good deal for NJ.

given his injury history and UFA status, I don’t think teams were going to offer a 1st or 2nd for him. Just my view.
look at what carolina paid for rental vatanen at the deadline. he played far less games for the canes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad