Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NJD] Blue Jackets trade D Ryan Murray to Devils for 2021 5th round pick

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Wtf, a nice early christmas present for the devils. Did he get offered around the league or was it NJ or bust?

Reactions: funky

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’ve been away from hockey and honestly when I read this I was just thinking “am I reading that right?” Why has Murray’s stock fallen so much?

It's just the injuries.

He's a very good defender but not a lot of teams want a guy who is going to use up a $4.5m in salary / cap while on IR for 1/3 of the year.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Good lord, first the Anderson contract and now this.

It's not even as if they're dumping Murray in the West for peanuts and hoping he doesnt come back to bite him. NJ is in the same damn division. With a fresh start he might improve and be a pretty solid blueline piece for them.

You're telling me the Avs or Preds, or someone further away with cap space, wouldn't have stumped up the same price or better?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You're telling me the Avs or Preds, or someone further away with cap space, wouldn't have stumped up the same price or better?

Murray has a permanent back condition.

It's also possible that the Devils bid wasn't necessarily the strongest. The Jackets would certainly like to do Murray a favor by sending him to where he wants to go to, he stuck it out for them even when he wanted a fresh start elsewhere. I'm not sure why that would be New Jersey though. Murray is a Scott Niedermayer stan so maybe there's something there.

But probably the back condition. I think everyone takes for granted that he'll miss something like 1/3 of the year.

Nuusku

Jun 18, 2013
Helsinki, Finland
h949jgk.png

I'm running out of ink. What is going on in Columbus?
That stamp looks like Tobias Fünke from arrested development.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Dafuq? Man the Rangers would've offered a 5th + a 7th at least. Hard to think this is the best offer they could get.

Do you think they're off loading due to sign UFA's or are they saving $ due to next to none in revenue etc?

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Murray has a permanent back condition.

It's also possible that the Devils bid wasn't necessarily the strongest. The Jackets would certainly like to do Murray a favor by sending him to where he wants to go to, he stuck it out for them even when he wanted a fresh start elsewhere. I'm not sure why that would be New Jersey though. Murray is a Scott Niedermayer stan so maybe there's something there.

But probably the back condition. I think everyone takes for granted that he'll miss something like 1/3 of the year.
Yeah, the injury factor was something I knew was hurting his value, and I suppose in this market you take what you can get. Still, its kind of surprising.

And a good point about the player choice factor. I never thought about it, and yeah, NJ would be a random choice but maybe there is something there.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
What is Jarmo Kekäläinen doing?...so many bizarre moves in a row this year.
Thus far, i have seen him as one of the smartest GM's in the NHL, but this year...
WHAT IN THE WORLD!

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
I just don't think teams are offering much this year, taking on salary in of itself seems to be the return for teams, not picks and players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad