Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NJD] Blue Jackets trade D Ryan Murray to Devils for 2021 5th round pick

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Apples and oranges.
just vatanen has a long injury history himself and was on the shelf at the time of the trade and when the covid break came. without this he most likely didn't play a single game for carolina, which paid claessen (contract dump) and kuokkanen (b-prospect). the conditional third was the icing on the cake, that the nhl played out the season after the break.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Seems like a steal for NJ

I know Murray has had injury issues and never lived up to that 2OA pick, but he is still a decent defender and a 5th rd pick is basically nothing

I would have given that up or more from a Leafs POV

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Apples and oranges. Deadline rentals always command higher prices as teams know their situation much better (contender status, roster holes, etc.). That’s not new or unusual that deadline prices are higher. Canes were going for it and willing to pay to help out their injured D.

I’m not saying this isn’t a good deal/good risk to take for NJ, it certainly is. I’m saying 2 things. 1) i don’t think a lot of teams, particularly in this cost environment, were going to give up a lot for Murray right now because of his AAV and injury history. I couldn’t see him getting a 1st or 2nd for sure right now, even without the Covid situation. If Murray stays healthy, he’s a good player so it’s a no brainer for NJ. If he does and not interested in re-signing (and NJ isn’t a playoff team), I could even see them flipping him for much more than they paid for him at the deadline (as deadline prices are higher) Net: if he stays healthy it’s a great deal for NJ

2. If he plays only 50% and leaves via Ufa, it’s still an ok deal for NJ, but not some super steal, just alright.

CLB was ok moving him as they likely felt his cost and injury history were no longer worth it and this was their best offer.

good risk to take on NJ’s part with little downside other than salary, and enough upside to make it an easy move.
Couldn't have said it better....NJ has the space and these are the type of deals they should make guys that they know fill a need for now until their younger guys can come up ....are not on Long term deals that at end of year they can trade or just walk away from.....if he has a good year he's attractive to teams for a run at a cup because they too can walk away if it doesn't work out.....they need to commit to a rebuild.....continue to go young and acquire picks.....

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Sergachev or Chychrun are the two players NJ should be targeting. I think now is the best time to avoid paying the moon for either player.
i don't think fitz will find the right pieces to tango here.
chychrun has an insanely good long term contract and is the last piece arizona would move. zero chance on him unless you are willing to part with hughes or hischier.
sergachev might move, but i don't think nj would win the bidding war. the players with ntc might not be willing to lift them for nj and the devils don't have more coleman's on the roster to help tampa defend their title next season.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
If Murray starts the season with NJ and gets injured in his first game and never plays another game In the NHL, it still will be a good trade for NJ.
It was a fifth. Ya he might play 50-60 games. But the odds are that that pick would’ve been a middle pairing or maybe top pairing AHLer.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
i don't think fitz will find the right pieces to tango here.
chychrun has an insanely good long term contract and is the last piece arizona would move. zero chance on him unless you are willing to part with hughes or hischier.
sergachev might move, but i don't think nj would win the bidding war. the players with ntc might not be willing to lift them for nj and the devils don't have more coleman's on the roster to help tampa defend their title next season.
I think NJ is a team that players will want to latch onto. They are shouting distance from NYC with beautiful suburbs and they are a team on the rise. After the Murray trade, if NJ traded for Sergachev and signed Dadonov, they would very much be in the hunt for the playoffs next year and possibly a contender the next. Chychrun would not command Hughes or Hischier, that is pure nonsense.

Reactions: xigon

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Dafuq? Man the Rangers would've offered a 5th + a 7th at least. Hard to think this is the best offer they could get.

Do you think they're off loading due to sign UFA's or are they saving $ due to next to none in revenue etc?
Probably could’ve got more from the rangers for sure. But do you trade him to the devils or the team that just took your prized left winger via free agency last year?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I think NJ is a team that players will want to latch onto. They are shouting distance from NYC with beautiful suburbs and they are a team on the rise. After the Murray trade, if NJ traded for Sergachev and signed Dadonov, they would very much be in the hunt for the playoffs next year and possibly a contender the next. Chychrun would not command Hughes or Hischier, that is pure nonsense.
from arizona perspective sure. they are weak down the middle and have zero need to dump chychrun. there is no other piece on the devils, which would make them consider to move chychrun in a trade to nj. it might be an overpayment from a devils perspective, but the only way to get them to agree to a deal.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
If Murray starts the season with NJ and gets injured in his first game and never plays another game In the NHL, it still will be a good trade for NJ.
It was a fifth. Ya he might play 50-60 games. But the odds are that that pick would’ve been a middle pairing or maybe top pairing AHLer.

Because New Jersey is rebuilding, I totally agree. No-brainer move for them. If he provides 40 games, that's 40 games of upgrade over what they probably were going to ice.

But...I think there's something being underrated here and a big factor on why maybe many teams trying to win next year would not be all over this for such a cheap price. There's something to be said for reliability and the development of on-ice chemistry and if you are dealing with a player who you know has such an extensive and yearly injury history - that's not reliable. Say a contending team were to trade for him, he plays 20 games, looks good on the second or third pair, starts to have chemistry but then gets injured. Maybe he comes back for 30 more games. But then right before the playoffs, bam, he's hurt again. Is that a good use of $4.6 million in cap? Is that a good use of your blueline depth? You could have targeted somebody less injury prone. You could've been developing an NHL ready prospect. Now you are shifting pairings around constantly based on the health condition of this player.

Yes - injuries happen to everybody and can strike at any time...but the bottom line is that as reliable as Murray is defensively when he is on the ice, he's simply not a reliable player in terms of health. It's not a character flaw, it's not something he can control. But it is a HUGE factor in the market for his services.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
from arizona perspective sure. they are weak down the middle and have zero need to dump chychrun. there is no other piece on the devils, which would make them consider to move chychrun in a trade to nj. it might be an overpayment from a devils perspective, but the only way to get them to agree to a deal.
NJ could easily offer a Smith package that would have Arizona thinking, especially if they do a full rebuild.

Reactions: deflowd

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Because New Jersey is rebuilding, I totally agree. No-brainer move for them. If he provides 40 games, that's 40 games of upgrade over what they probably were going to ice.

But...I think there's something being underrated here and a big factor on why maybe many teams trying to win next year would not be all over this for such a cheap price. There's something to be said for reliability and the development of on-ice chemistry and if you are dealing with a player who you know has such an extensive and yearly injury history - that's not reliable. Say a contending team were to trade for him, he plays 20 games, looks good on the second or third pair, starts to have chemistry but then gets injured. Maybe he comes back for 30 more games. But then right before the playoffs, bam, he's hurt again. Is that a good use of $4.6 million in cap? Is that a good use of your blueline depth? You could have targeted somebody less injury prone. You could've been developing an NHL ready prospect. Now you are shifting pairings around constantly based on the health condition of this player.

Yes - injuries happen to everybody and can strike at any time...but the bottom line is that as reliable as Murray is defensively when he is on the ice, he's simply not a reliable player in terms of health. It's not a character flaw, it's not something he can control. But it is a HUGE factor in the market for his services.
NJ's cupboard is full, they are transitioning from rebuild to playoff team.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Fresh start might be great for him. No real downside for the Devils. If he shows as a decent 4/5 they get a 3rd at the deadline back?

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
2012 draft might possibly be the worst draft of all time. Also, Murray is so injury prone that Nail Yakupov has played more NHL regular season games than him

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
It's still true. But his health is getting worse and worse. I was hoping the "back issues" we'd been hearing about weren't as bad as they sounded (it sounded to me like a managed issue), but it seems like they may be even worse. :(

I'm now beginning to suspect his career is going to be over really soon now, which would really suck.

Sure. A 26 years old first pair dman getting traded for a 5th rounder :thumbu:

varano

Jun 27, 2013
why? dubas was able to get a first, while moving out salary in the kapanen deal.
if columbus was set on not taking any salary back, toronto couldn't afford the 4.6m cap hit for murray.
We desperately need defencemen, not Wayne Simmonds.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Sure. A 26 years old first pair dman getting traded for a 5th rounder :thumbu:

When you remove all context, yeah it sounds dumb. But removing all context is dumb in itself.

It does seem like very low value. But this offseason + injuries = this trade. And the trade is obviously Ryan Murray for a 5th + cap space for whatever the Jackets are planning.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad