Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NJD] Blue Jackets trade D Ryan Murray to Devils for 2021 5th round pick

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
Man. Columbus fans going to be eating some crow on this one. They had some...interesting expectations for the returns on some of their players.

CBJ fan "what are the oilers willing to add on top of the reigning hart winner for our flash in the pan backup goalie"
-seen on the merzilinkis thread

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Watch Columbus come out or left field amd sign Pietrangelo.

I can 100% see them doing so, Jarmo seems to always make these surprise moves that nobody sees coming.

As for Murray.... sigh. Was a massive Murray stan his draft year. Thought he was going to be a top 15 d-man.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
This is a nice deal for NJ. Yes, Murray is injury prone. But, giving up a 5th is a low risk to take. If he can be healthy or even play 65-70 games a season from here on, its a good move for NJ. I would like to see him paired with Subban since Subban needs someone to help him defensively. Then they can potentially pair Severson with Ty Smith as the 2nd pair. Not bad at all.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
look at what carolina paid for rental vatanen at the deadline. he played far less games for the canes.

Apples and oranges. Deadline rentals always command higher prices as teams know their situation much better (contender status, roster holes, etc.). That’s not new or unusual that deadline prices are higher. Canes were going for it and willing to pay to help out their injured D.

I’m not saying this isn’t a good deal/good risk to take for NJ, it certainly is. I’m saying 2 things. 1) i don’t think a lot of teams, particularly in this cost environment, were going to give up a lot for Murray right now because of his AAV and injury history. I couldn’t see him getting a 1st or 2nd for sure right now, even without the Covid situation. If Murray stays healthy, he’s a good player so it’s a no brainer for NJ. If he does and not interested in re-signing (and NJ isn’t a playoff team), I could even see them flipping him for much more than they paid for him at the deadline (as deadline prices are higher) Net: if he stays healthy it’s a great deal for NJ

2. If he plays only 50% and leaves via Ufa, it’s still an ok deal for NJ, but not some super steal, just alright.

CLB was ok moving him as they likely felt his cost and injury history were no longer worth it and this was their best offer.

good risk to take on NJ’s part with little downside other than salary, and enough upside to make it an easy move.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I think he will slot in immediately in New Jersey's top-4 and make it better.

In a vacuum, I think his value is MUCH higher than what the Jackets got. But they were trying to shed all of his cap with none coming back. Which, in this COVID world, makes him almost impossible to move.
LD signed: Butcher
RD signed: Subban, Severson, Carrick

I think it's a safe guess.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Great trade for the Devil. Hopefully he can stay healthy for them.

Given they gave the same value for Murray as OTT did for gudbranson, and that another injury prone d on the market will probably get probably around same salary w term or more today in tanev , I'd say a 5th for a solid #4 is great value.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Imagine telling someone the 1st overall pick will be out of the league in 6 seasons, 2nd overall will be traded for a 5th rounder after his 8th season, 3rd overall could be possibly going to his 5th team in 8 years being a major disappointment wherever he went, and that the 4th overall will be out of the league in 3 seasons not even playing half a season worth of games in the NHL. They would tell you you're insane back in 2012.

Reactions: blink and 57special

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Tremendous trade for Nj, I feel Murray will play with Severson to eat tough minutes. With Smith penciled in as the 3rd pair RD NJ is currently missing a 2nd/3rd pair LHD rock.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Not all but it has been a large portion of them. If he ever wants to play anything close to a full season he needs to manage his back quite a bit. He has a training and stretching routine he has to follow every day.
nj should ensure to give him enough rest between games. not playing him on back to backs would be a start to preserve him eligible for larger parts of the season.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
this is funny as this is a No-Brainer deal really on both sides of the ledger.

No brainer for the Devils. Solid defender that costs nothing but aa 5th and money, both of which they have and could spare.

No brainer for Columbus because WTF are they thinking. #2 overall (albeit 8 years ago) still could generate more of a return than a 5th.

Unless, CLB is going to LTIR Dubinsky and go hard after one or both of Alex P and Taylor H.

if they miss out on both, this could bite them in the arse

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I read many times that Murray when healthy is a first pair dman by a certain rabid Cbj fan :laugh::laugh:
It's still true. But his health is getting worse and worse. I was hoping the "back issues" we'd been hearing about weren't as bad as they sounded (it sounded to me like a managed issue), but it seems like they may be even worse. :(

I'm now beginning to suspect his career is going to be over really soon now, which would really suck.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
f***...dubas sucks...
why? dubas was able to get a first, while moving out salary in the kapanen deal.
if columbus was set on not taking any salary back, toronto couldn't afford the 4.6m cap hit for murray.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
It would've made sense for the Habs to do Anderson + Murray for Domi + pick, instead of giving up the assets for Edmundson.

Murray is a better defenseman than Edmundson, no?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This is a nice deal for NJ. Yes, Murray is injury prone. But, giving up a 5th is a low risk to take. If he can be healthy or even play 65-70 games a season from here on, its a good move for NJ. I would like to see him paired with Subban since Subban needs someone to help him defensively. Then they can potentially pair Severson with Ty Smith as the 2nd pair. Not bad at all.
seems like smith prefers the right side and looking into the prospect pool the right side is in dire need of someone like smith. nj needs to at least one more ld, as they can't count on murray playing 82 games.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Imagine telling someone the 1st overall pick will be out of the league in 6 seasons, 2nd overall will be traded for a 5th rounder after his 8th season, 3rd overall could be possibly going to his 5th team in 8 years being a major disappointment wherever he went, and that the 4th overall will be out of the league in 3 seasons not even playing half a season worth of games in the NHL. They would tell you you're insane back in 2012.
Someone said in another thread that 2012 wasn't a good draft, but it really looks like the scouting for that year was what wasn't good. You reorder that draft with hindsight and it looks pretty strong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad