Prospect Info: CBJ in Traverse City, 2022 Edition | Sept. 15-19

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Thanks, I think I agree that these are small things, now we just have to hope he will progress in these regards in MJ. To expand on one defensive detail of his game; I normally would like to see players go more down on 2vs1 to block passing lanes but it doesn't seem to be popular way of defending among young defensemen (I may be wrong on this, it's just my feeling).

I agree, I'll just add that getting gap control right will make everything else easier. A lot of those plays he can't get any lower because he isn't matching the attackers speed and they'll just walk him if he goes down.

Mateychuk is not an exception, and I wonder how aware he is of the effects of staying always on his skates and trying to prevent goals that way. Right now too many passes are getting past him, imo.

Agreed.

As for making the team next year, there's also a high chance it ends up being a sort of annoying situation with him where he's too good to go back to juniors but isn't ready for NHL either and can't play in the AHL due to age. Kind of a problem Anaheim is having this year with Zellweger.

Could be, I think Mateychuk has a good chance that he'll be further along than Zellweger defensively. It helps that he is already significantly bigger and stronger.

Reactions: tunnelvision

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I started watching when it was 2-1 Toronto in the beginning of the 2nd period. Jiricek scored the first CBJ goal and the commentators were praising him quite a bit today I felt. Him and Mateychuk were noticeable but I don't remember any specific wow moments.

Dumais tied it up with a minute to go after a scramble in the front of the net with some plays by Pyyhtiä, Johnson, and Marchenko who got it to Dumais who made a nice fronthand backhand to put it over the goalie for a tie game. CBJ net was empty.

Greaves and Cajan split the net and Cajan certainly looked much better now than in the previous game. He was beat by one shot that hit the crossbar but otherwise was good.

#88 Roman Ahcan had a PK breakaway and almost scored but was denied by the skate blade. It was a good move though.

Maybe it’s me, but any live game I have watched KJ he has not impressed me. And it’s continuing today.
Did your opinion change by the end of the game? I didn't see the first period, but I thought that the 2nd and 3rd were pretty normal Johnson, especially in the 3rd - he gets the puck, he creates chances. This game he tried to shoot a bit more (unsuccessfully), not sure if all of those were good decisions. He made a couple of nice "small" passes - one to Pyyhtiä I think stood out to me (Johnson was surrounded by 3 Leafs players and Pyyhtiä got almost alone against the goalie but shot him in the chest). Marchenko and Johnson seemed to be connecting a bit more today, would be nice if the chemistry started building.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Did your opinion change by the end of the game? I didn't see the first period, but I thought that the 2nd and 3rd were pretty normal Johnson, especially in the 3rd - he gets the puck, he creates chances. This game he tried to shoot a bit more (unsuccessfully), not sure if all of those were good decisions. He made a couple of nice "small" passes - one to Pyyhtiä I think stood out to me (Johnson was surrounded by 3 Leafs players and Pyyhtiä got almost alone against the goalie but shot him in the chest). Marchenko and Johnson seemed to be connecting a bit more today, would be nice if the chemistry started building.
Yeah I thought he was better.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Johnson would be my top forward pick, followed by Marchenko. I think they'll make the big club unless they want Marchenko to start in the AHL for roster/acclimation reasons. After those two I think the gap is quite big. Dumais was the most impactful of the rest, so he'd round up my top-3. DBB, Pyyhtiä would probably be next. I thought #76 Owen Sillinger actually had his best game in the last one (nothing spectacular, just a couple of good, basic plays).

Of the defensemen a lot of them actually had some nice moments. I don't think Mateychuk or Jiricek will stay up this season but they did look good at times and others are better at analyzing their play than me. Knazko and Svozil both also had their offensive moments in these three games. I also noticed #68 Clayton a few times in a positive way, like he seemed to make the right play at the right time. I have zero knowledge about him so that was a nice surprise (but probably doesn't mean anything in the end).

Reactions: Halberdier

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Safe to say top 3 players were these guys?

Dumais
Johnson
Marchenko

I'd love to have an opinion on that but they didn't upload the last game (seriously, why is CBJ youtube asleep here?)

Before today's game I would have said Mateychuk was clearly in the top 3 players. Him and KJ were the top two.

The player whose stock changed the most for me was Dumais. He looks so much stronger and more robust out there.

Reactions: DougKnowsBest

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd love to have an opinion on that but they didn't upload the last game (seriously, why is CBJ youtube asleep here?)

Before today's game I would have said Mateychuk was clearly in the top 3 players. Him and KJ were the top two.

The player whose stock changed the most for me was Dumais. He looks so much stronger and more robust out there.

With Dumais moving up and Dolzhenkov dominating the MHL, it looks really good for the NHLe approach. I don't know if this was a Weissbock and Lawrence thing but I'm guessing this is their influence.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Really hard to pick top 3 from Dumais, Marchenko, Johnson and Mateychuk. I think I would drop Marchenko from that group to 4th.

Mateychuk being better than Jiricek does not surprise me. I thought they were close in the draft and also expected Jiricek would have a lot of work to do. Mateychuk is a lot physically stronger than Jiricek but Jiricek needs strength more than Mateychuk does to effectively play his game.

Reactions: tunnelvision

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
With Dumais moving up and Dolzhenkov dominating the MHL, it looks really good for the NHLe approach. I don't know if this was a Weissbock and Lawrence thing but I'm guessing this is their influence.
In a league where teams still draft based on character and shoe size, NHLe does seem like the way to go for the 2-7 rounds. Many high end producers drop to late rounds for trivial reasons. I recall both Dumais and Dolzenkhov being 1st rounders in NHLe? Cant really go wrong with that even if they have flaws in their game

Reactions: LJ7

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Really hard to pick top 3 from Dumais, Marchenko, Johnson and Mateychuk. I think I would drop Marchenko from that group to 4th.

Mateychuk being better than Jiricek does not surprise me. I thought they were close in the draft and also expected Jiricek would have a lot of work to do. Mateychuk is a lot physically stronger than Jiricek but Jiricek needs strength more than Mateychuk does to effectively play his game.
Given that Jiricek has played professionally against men, it surprised me how much more polished Mateychuk looked in comparison. Jiricek was billed as someone who was close to NHL ready by most pundits, some even thought he’d challenge for a spot this year on here. Not only will he not do that, I’m not even sure he’s ready for the AHL.

I’m not worried, but I do think it’s going to require more time than I originally thought and scouted him out to be

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Given that Jiricek has played professionally against men, it surprised me how much more polished Mateychuk looked in comparison. Jiricek was billed as someone who was close to NHL ready by most pundits, some even thought he’d challenge for a spot this year on here.

Other than Button talking out of his butt, I didn't see many seriously suggest that Jiricek could make the NHL club this year. The scouting analysis I gathered pre-draft was that Jiricek is top heavy and needs to get a lot stronger to play his game at the highest levels. He's a long term play.

For me his skating has been disappointing. I thought he looked shaky at times last year and didn't look great coming back from that knee injury. But I was looking for improvements after the offseason and there really aren't any that I can see, he looks even wobblier.

Fortunately the answer to everything is "get stronger". Time is on his side. Might just be a lot of time.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Other than Button talking out of his butt, I didn't see many seriously suggest that Jiricek could make the NHL club this year. The scouting analysis I gathered pre-draft was that Jiricek is top heavy and needs to get a lot stronger to play his game at the highest levels. He's a long term play.

For me his skating has been disappointing. I thought he looked shaky at times last year and didn't look great coming back from that knee injury. But I was looking for improvements after the offseason and there really aren't any that I can see, he looks even wobblier.

Fortunately the answer to everything is "get stronger". Time is on his side. Might just be a lot of time.
I meant people on here, not the pundits. Most pundits said he required another year. Which I agreed with in the scouting season, but now might think it could be two.

Yeah the skating is concerning. I think he’s still untrustworthy of his knee after the injury. Might just need more time on the knee to Trust it more. Ideally I think he would play on a team with NHL regulation rinks but it’s clearly not going to be in the NHL, and again I’m not sure he’d be ready for AHL action either.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I meant people on here, not the pundits. Most pundits said he required another year. Which I agreed with in the scouting season, but now might think it could be two.

I've always thought two. Seider and Makar took two. There's a lot of benefit for letting them "try things" at lower levels and perfect their craft before they make it. But yes it now looks like two years might be a physical necessity.

Yeah the skating is concerning. I think he’s still untrustworthy of his knee after the injury. Might just need more time on the knee to Trust it more. Ideally I think he would play on a team with NHL regulation rinks but it’s clearly not going to be in the NHL, and again I’m not sure he’d be ready for AHL action either.

I don't care as much about rink size. And Czech league seems like a good difficulty level for him. But he needs the strength trainers and the skills trainers. AHL might be too good for him right now but it is where the best trainers are, in Cleveland. So do we fly them out to Czechia?

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
But he needs the strength trainers and the skills trainers. AHL might be too good for him right now but it is where the best trainers are, in Cleveland. So do we fly them out to Czechia?
He isn't AHL ready right now but I think the strength training aspect is so crucial that I don't want him in Czechia. The AHL wouldn't be so over his head to where it would stunt his growth or anything imo. Right now to me the pros outweigh the cons of putting him in Cleveland. Two seasons up there would do him right.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
He isn't AHL ready right now but I think the strength training aspect is so crucial that I don't want him in Czechia. The AHL wouldn't be so over his head to where it would stunt his growth or anything imo. Right now to me the pros outweigh the cons of putting him in Cleveland. Two seasons up there would do him right.
Really? We think our strength and training in Cleveland or even Columbus for that matter is better than Czechia? I've never been impressed with anything we've ever done in strength and training in Columbus, except on Campus.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For me much of this talk about where Jiricek should be assigned comes down to very particular knowledge about where the better coaches are, where the better trainers are, where the better skill coaches are. If he does stay in Europe I hope Jarmo steers him to a team and city where they have the best of all of those things. There are some teams in every league with atrocious coaching and terrible prospect development, and Euro leagues in general don't tend to prioritize strength. Sometimes there are good reasons for not deprioritizing strength training but that won't work with Jiricek. He needs to get massively stronger. I can't comment on where the best are, I hope Jarmo has a good idea.

Seele

Jul 13, 2013
I guess the Traverse City tournament ended now. Are there still some games for the prospects in the following days?

I'm asking this as a TPS fan who is thinking if and when we might get Pyyhtiä back to Finland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad