Prospect Info: CBJ in Traverse City, 2022 Edition | Sept. 15-19

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
I guess the Traverse City tournament ended now. Are there still some games for the prospects in the following days?

I'm asking this as a TPS fan who is thinking if and when we might get Pyyhtiä back to Finland.

there aren’t anymore traverse city games but per our GM, everyone in Traverse City has gotten an invite to training camp. so.. I fully expect Pyyt to not be going back to finland for a few weeks.

Reactions: Seele

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I guess the Traverse City tournament ended now. Are there still some games for the prospects in the following days?

I'm asking this as a TPS fan who is thinking if and when we might get Pyyhtiä back to Finland.
I think he’ll be going to training camp with the jackets, get a few preseason games in, and then head back. Camp opens Wednesday

Reactions: Seele

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Really? We think our strength and training in Cleveland or even Columbus for that matter is better than Czechia? I've never been impressed with anything we've ever done in strength and training in Columbus, except on Campus.
Strength and training are certainly important but I think for the style of play we hope he will play he needs to acclimate to a more north-south style of game and that cannot be replicated in Europe. Even if the AHL were a little rich for him right now (and I am not sure it is), I'd rather he continue developing his game in Cleveland rather than thriving in Czechia.

Reactions: thebus88

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Really? We think our strength and training in Cleveland or even Columbus for that matter is better than Czechia? I've never been impressed with anything we've ever done in strength and training in Columbus, except on Campus.
I seriously would hope that an NHL ran strength and conditioning program would be more effective than what he'd do in Czechia. That said I know that pro sports strength training is very susceptible to charlatans/frauds/overthinking basic stuff/reinventing the wheel types (says the amateur gym bro who only lifts for fun and doesn't have millions of dollars on the line with his training and can afford to take "risks" because nothing really rides on his athletic success)

Reactions: majormajor

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Watching Mateychuk and Jiricek work together — each player’s style seems to complement the other — you couldn’t help but look ahead to the 2024-25 season, when they could easily be a pair for the Blue Jackets.

“It was awesome,” Mateychuk said. “(Jiricek) is a really easy guy to play with. We just kind of clicked. We were roommates all weekend. Let’s go from there, get to know each other and get to know each other’s game.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I seriously would hope that an NHL ran strength and conditioning program would be more effective than what he'd do in Czechia. That said I know that pro sports strength training is very susceptible to charlatans/frauds/overthinking basic stuff/reinventing the wheel types (says the amateur gym bro who only lifts for fun and doesn't have millions of dollars on the line with his training and can afford to take "risks" because nothing really rides on his athletic success)
Honest question- do we have a strength and conditioning director/coach?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Of course we do. That is a wild question to ask.

I think it is legit question. We live in a city where a sizable percentage of the population could name the OSU football strength coach (Mickey Marotti) and his name is often brought up on radio and tv. I have never heard anyone in Columbus mention Kevin Collins, and I have a kid that does strength training for hockey.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think it is legit question. We live in a city where a sizable percentage of the population could name the OSU football strength coach (Mickey Marotti) and his name is often brought up on radio and tv. I have never heard anyone in Columbus mention Kevin Collins, and I have a kid that does strength training for hockey.

That speaks to the ridiculous levels if interest in the OSU program. People act like ‘damn I am insider cuz I know strength coach just like Herbie.’

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

I didn’t know his name but I figured it's common sense that every single team in the NHL has a strength and conditioning coach. We also have at least two assistant S&C coaches confirmed by a quick Google search. I knew we had multiple S&C coaches by coaches/management saying things like "he'll be working with our strength guys" + again I figure it's common sense that every team has multiple strength coaches.

To me it was like wondering if we have a video coordinator or PR director.

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I didn’t know his name but I figured it's common sense that every single team in the NHL has a strength and conditioning coach. We also have at least two assistant S&C coaches confirmed by a quick Google search. I knew we had multiple S&C coaches by coaches/management saying things like "he'll be working with our strength guys" + again I figure it's common sense that every team has multiple strength coaches.

To me it was like wondering if we have a video coordinator or PR director.

I assumed we did too, but then, when I saw the question, I realized I had never heard anyone mentioned. I could name the GM of the Monsters or who the skills guys are that the club employs, but I can’t recall anyone mentioning the strength guy ever. So I thought maybe we contract the job out. Maybe guys find a trainer they like that the team approves of and they work with that person and skating/skills guys can talk with Jarmo, etc and the trainer about what they need to focus on. Maybe a small fast guy is working on explosiveness with a trainer focused on speed development while a bigger guy who is playing defense is working on strength. I mean with Torts it seemed like there was an expectation for guys to show up to camp ready to run 2 miles in under 12 minutes. It didn’t seem like the expectation was to work with the S&C staff to be ready to run two miles in under 12 minutes. Nobody ever mention the S&C staff, just the fact that you better show up ready to run.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
It’s amazing how everything is Ohio State in Columbus. I moved from Columbus in 1978 and there was some coverage but not that much and Woody Hayes was still the head coach. My brother that never left say’s that’s all that the local news talks about. I can see why people get sick of the Buckeyes.
That speaks to the ridiculous levels if interest in the OSU program. People act like ‘damn I am insider cuz I know strength coach just like Herbie.’
The reason people know of Mickey Marotti is because we are sports fans and we routinely see 18-22 year old kids transformed from boys to men in an offseason with the OSU strength program. "Body by Marotti" would not be a thing if the dude wasn't getting crazy results on and off the field. It's an impeccable program with a culture of excellence. It's not ridiculous, people like winners.

I've been a CBJ fan/season ticket holder since day 1, I have never once heard of Kevin Collins. I've heard of the trainers, team doctors, and all of the coaches. I've never seen that guy's name on this Board or anywhere else. I've also never once heard even a rumor of one of our 18-22 year old elite athletes transforming their bodies in any way shape or form, until this week when Johnson told us he gained 8 pounds of muscle in a month. We have at least 3 players (Bean, Boqvist, Johnson) that needed to put on serious weight/muscle/strength and not once have I seen a single mention of Kevin Collins.

OldGoaltender, you moved away 45 years ago, you have absolutely no idea what Columbus looks like today. The Columbus Dispatch barely exists and local TV news barely does sports at all other than High School Footbal, plus some Buckeyes, Crew, and CBJ. Nobody under the age of 60 watches that stuff or gets a daily newspaper, so I'm not sure what your brother is consuming news wise, but it's probably not what most people are consuming. There is plenty going on in Columbus.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The Columbus Dispatch barely exists and local TV news barely does sports at all other than High School Footbal, plus some Buckeyes, Crew, and CBJ. Nobody under the age of 60 watches that stuff or gets a daily newspaper
High school football might be the only reason people go to local news for sports. There are sources like Twitter if you want to follow your team, but if you want to know who the best teams are in the area and how they are doing, local media still is pretty important. 5th Line Fanatic is correct - nobody is tuning in to watch Channel 6’s coverage of the Buckeyes. The guys who host the #1 rated sports show on Columbus radio will tell you the secret to their success is they spend more time on fart jokes and comedy bits than talking about sports.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
"OldGoaltender, you moved away 45 years ago, you have absolutely no idea what Columbus looks like today."

Is this a reverse get off my lawn comment?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I know plenty of people don't like Pronman but just read his review of players from Traverse City and of the five standout players he picked both KJ91 Mateychuk. I personally saw none of the tournament. Here's a couple of snippets:

Pronman sounded very impressed with KJ91 which I personally think is great considering he was playing a position he hasn't played regularly in at least two years. "Johnson was one of the most impressive — and most effective — players in Traverse City this weekend. He had the puck a lot, attacked with pace, and his obvious skill and hockey sense translated on the scoresheet"

As for Mateychuk, again I have never seen him play but so many people keep talking about his skating being an issue and then I read "one of the most consistently noticeable players on the ice thanks to his skating...he was a controlled exit machine". This doesn't sound like a kid with skating issues.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
That's my general attitude, but I also think that Bemstrom and Foudy are going to be good and valuable for us this year if they're kept on board. We've got waiver exempt guys that can go down first.
Gaudreau-Roslovic-Laine
Voracek-Jenner-Johnson
Nyquist-Sillinger-Bemstrom*
Robinson*-Kuraly-Danforth*
Foudy, Olivier

AHL: Chinakhov, Marchenko, Meyer, Neal, etc

Am I forgetting anyone? I can see this as the training camp outcome specific line combos notwithstanding. However if Foudy or Bemstrom just get brutally outplayed by Marchenko or something I could see us trading one of those two or flat out waiving one but it's unlikely. I think if Marchenko or Chinakhov really make a statement in camp over Foudy and/or Bemstrom then they'll be rewarded with an opening night spot. Johnson seems like a lock, he's better than all of the bubble forwards. I can see any of the asterisked forwards being supplanted but I certainly expect Robinson and Danforth to make it.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
As for Mateychuk, again I have never seen him play but so many people keep talking about his skating being an issue and then I read "one of the most consistently noticeable players on the ice thanks to his skating...he was a controlled exit machine". This doesn't sound like a kid with skating issues.
Are we talking about the skating in general or only some aspects of it? If the talk is more related to the latter then I might agree on the note that he could still improve his backwards skating technique. But other than that, I don't know. Maybe some folks are worried of his unique posture which could make him physically vulnerable at pro level, and therefore they see it as an issue?

I for one like where his development is right now, I haven't perceived huge skating issues yet. Maybe I'll change my mind after a few preseason games, although I doubt I will. I hope he will continue to work on the aforementioned defensive details. It would be nice if he could get his shot release quicker this year in MJ. If his personal goal is to become a PPQB in the NHL - which now seems to be a realistic goal according to some recent reports - that might be the biggest singular obstacle on his path. There is not a lot of deceptiveness on his wrist shot because of limited shooting mechanics. Learning to take shots faster after receiving a pass and practicing off-balance shots that doesn't require his entire body to move in a certain way are crucial if you want to be a consistent and more unpredictable offensive threat from the point, imo.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Gaudreau-Roslovic-Laine
Voracek-Jenner-Johnson
Nyquist-Sillinger-Bemstrom*
Robinson*-Kuraly-Danforth*
Foudy, Olivier

AHL: Chinakhov, Marchenko, Meyer, Neal, etc

Am I forgetting anyone? I can see this as the training camp outcome specific line combos notwithstanding. However if Foudy or Bemstrom just get brutally outplayed by Marchenko or something I could see us trading one of those two or flat out waiving one but it's unlikely. I think if Marchenko or Chinakhov really make a statement in camp over Foudy and/or Bemstrom then they'll be rewarded with an opening night spot. Johnson seems like a lock, he's better than all of the bubble forwards. I can see any of the asterisked forwards being supplanted but I certainly expect Robinson and Danforth to make it.
I don't think Roslovic would be ideal between Gaudreau and Laine. These players need a strong center, playing good in defense, without the puck, around the boards. And not a player who like to carry the puck with who losts battles at the boards and doesn't play in the front of the net.

Yes, Johnson was very good, but it was summer hockey. But he has problems at the boards and I think he must learn to play center. So I prefer AHL at first.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I don't think Roslovic would be ideal between Gaudreau and Laine. These players need a strong center, playing good in defense, without the puck, around the boards. And not a player who like to carry the puck with who losts battles at the boards and doesn't play in the front of the net.

Yes, Johnson was very good, but it was summer hockey. But he has problems at the boards and I think he must learn to play center. So I prefer AHL at first.
It was more of an exercise to get a solid list of the bubble players and provide an outcome where Foudy and Bemstrom aren't waived. My guess is also that Jenner centers them but who knows maybe Roslovic clicks between them for whatever reason.

To me Johnson will make the roster. He's good enough at everything besides board play and he won puck battles in Traverse City. I'd be fine with him starting in Cleveland but I don't think he'll make that an option for Larsen.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
The reason people know of Mickey Marotti is because we are sports fans and we routinely see 18-22 year old kids transformed from boys to men in an offseason with the OSU strength program. "Body by Marotti" would not be a thing if the dude wasn't getting crazy results on and off the field. It's an impeccable program with a culture of excellence. It's not ridiculous, people like winners.

I've been a CBJ fan/season ticket holder since day 1, I have never once heard of Kevin Collins. I've heard of the trainers, team doctors, and all of the coaches. I've never seen that guy's name on this Board or anywhere else. I've also never once heard even a rumor of one of our 18-22 year old elite athletes transforming their bodies in any way shape or form, until this week when Johnson told us he gained 8 pounds of muscle in a month. We have at least 3 players (Bean, Boqvist, Johnson) that needed to put on serious weight/muscle/strength and not once have I seen a single mention of Kevin Collins.

OldGoaltender, you moved away 45 years ago, you have absolutely no idea what Columbus looks like today. The Columbus Dispatch barely exists and local TV news barely does sports at all other than High School Footbal, plus some Buckeyes, Crew, and CBJ. Nobody under the age of 60 watches that stuff or gets a daily newspaper, so I'm not sure what your brother is consuming news wise, but it's probably not what most people are consuming. There is plenty going on in Columbus.
Yes it’s been a long time. I was up there a few years ago to see my brother he’s a retired Columbus police officer. He took me for a drive and it was a different place. I was born there in 1954 oddly enough I’ve only been back a handful of times. One time I had to officiate a funeral for my dad. My whole youth was spent in the Linden area. I carried the Citizen Journal in the morning and Dispatch at night. The only hockey we had were the Seals who later became the Owls. I used to play a lot of hockey at the Fairgrounds and at IceLand.

Reactions: Viqsi and koteka

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think some of us might be talking past each other.

When Mateychuk ably skates the puck up ice, is he doing that successfully because he has great skating mechanics, great stride length, edgework, etc... Or is he just picking his spots better and taking better angles into space? I think it's more the latter. He's great at skating the puck and finding open space and it's mostly between his ears. I think he'd look very average in a skating drill.

I don't think of him as a very good tools player. His shot isn't good. His skating, technically speaking, isn't very good. And that's fine. There are great D in the NHL like Adam Fox who aren't tools guys either.

So great at skating the puck and great skating can be two different things for me.

How has Bjork holm looked?

Bjorgvik Holm? Faster I think. He covers a lot of ice and is a rangy defender. I'm wondering if he can be a Methot type player. Not that strong though, he's not a huge guy, just solid physically.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Yes it’s been a long time. I was up there a few years ago to see my brother he’s a retired Columbus police officer. He took me for a drive and it was a different place. I was born there in 1954 oddly enough I’ve only been back a handful of times. One time I had to officiate a funeral for my dad. My whole youth was spent in the Linden area. I carried the Citizen Journal in the morning and Dispatch at night. The only hockey we had were the Seals who later became the Owls. I used to play a lot of hockey at the Fairgrounds and at IceLand.
I was guessing you were about my Father in Law's age. He's lived in Columbus his whole life and I assume had a very similar experience growing up. I believe he carried both papers too. I mention all of that because the stories he tells about Columbus from his youth sound like a foreign place to me and I've lived here for over 25 years. It was a small town back then. Clintonville was the north end of town. I would bet more people live north of Clintonville now than lived in the entire city in 1978. Since you left, the metro area has doubled in population. You wouldn't believe what Hilliard, Dublin, Powell, or New Albany looks like. Those places were one stop light towns back then, today they are booming suburbs. My Father in Law still tells stories of classic City League basketball and football games and he still remembers the players and the scores. Now, you'll occasionally get a decent basketball player from the City League, but the vast majority of those good athletes play outside of 270. The City League schools are tiny compared to what they used to be.

Every big city has a team that likely gets more than it's fair share of attention, Cleveland is a Browns town, Cincinnati is a Reds town, etc. Columbus is no different, the Buckeyes get more than their fair share of attention, but there is a lot more going on than just the Buckeyes. And, now that the Wolfe Family no longer dominates the media narrative, the people find their news in very different places.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
My father always said Columbus was a big one horse town. He was from Cleveland and mom from Chillicothe. They met in 1938 while dad was stationed at Ft Hayes. All six of (us) their kids lived in Columbus until the 70s. My brothers and oldest sister are 10, 11 and 13 years older so they used to hang out at Sandy’s Drive In and worked at Golden Point a hamburger joint way before McDonalds. Columbus will always be my favorite city and I’ve lived In quite a few. Columbus will always be home.

Reactions: NotTooWideArena

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad