Prospect Info: CBJ in Traverse City, 2022 Edition | Sept. 15-19

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Roster and tournament info here

Game 1
Thursday, September 15
Blue Jackets at St. Louis Blues (Molon Rink)
3:00PM (ET)

Game 2
Friday, September 16
Blue Jackets vs. Detroit Red Wings (Molon Rink)
3:00PM (ET)

Game 3
Sunday, September 18
Blue Jackets at Toronto Maple Leafs (Molon Rink)
2:00PM (ET)

All games streamed on BlueJackets.com and YouTube.com/BlueJackets

-----------

FORWARDS​

NumberNameHeight
56Ben Boyd6-3
65Luca Del Bel Belluz6-1
67James Malatesta5-9
69Jordan Dumais5-9
76Owen Sillinger5-10
78Martin Rysavy6-3
82Mikael Pyyhtia6-0
83Liam Hawel6-5
86Kirill Marchenko6-2
88Roman Ahcan5-9
91Kent Johnson6-1
92Evan Vierling6-0
97Samuel Huo6-4

DEFENSEMEN​

NumberNameHeight
5Denton Mateychuk5-11
47Marcus Bjork6-3
55David Jiricek6-3
62Samuel Knazko6-1
68Cole Clayton6-2
81Stanislav Svozil6-0
94Ole Bjorgvik-Holm6-3

GOALTENDERS​

NumberNameHeight
30Pavel Cajan6-2
73Jet Greaves6-0

-------------

The 22 players participating in the tournament will undergo physicals prior to taking part in an on-ice practice session at the OhioHealth Ice Haus, the club's official practice facility at Nationwide Arena, from 12:15 to 1:15 p.m. on Wednesday, September 14.

The on-ice session held at the Ice Haus is free and open to the public. Media availability with the players will be held following the practice.

Last edited:

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I'll try to catch all of these games in full if possible. Really excited to see what lines are created. Svozil, Dumais, Pyythia and DBB will be guys I watch closely, I already know what I'm getting with with the big dogs. Hope to see Marchenko absolutely dominate physically like he's insulted to even be there. I want some arrogance out there from our top guys. No mercy.

Also excited to perhaps see some

[Player x]-Johnson-Marchenko

Mateychuk-Jiricek

moments. The engagement from the D and interchanging all over the ice/"positionless hockey" that could be produced would be a real treat to watch.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I'll try to catch all of these games in full if possible.
I don't think that'll be a problem since all games are streamed on youtube. You can watch later if you're not able to catch them live.

I will also do a bit of line assembling just for fun...

Marchenko - Johnson - Dumais
Pyyhtia - DBB - Rysavy
Malatesta - Huo - Vierling
Ahcan - Sillinger - Boyd
Hawel

Mateychuk - Jiricek
Svozil - Bjork
OJBH - Knazko
Clayton

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Jackets swinging pretty hard to win this one. Good to see. Marchenko, Jiricek; and Johnson should dominate.

Reactions: Fro

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Jackets swinging pretty hard to win this one. Good to see. Marchenko, Jiricek; and Johnson should dominate.
Thing is, that's just the prospect pool. I don't think they necessarily took a swing at all. Also missing a few good ones like Ceulemans, Richard and Makarov and the D already looks deep on that roster.

Reactions: Monk

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Slightly surprised Marchenko is playing in this, figured he was a bit "above" this, but will be great to watch!
I think the team wants to see him play as much as possible before deciding whether he will or will not be one of the final cuts at the end of training camp. CBJ or Cleveland, it's very much up in the air... Plus remember that he has yet to play a single game on NA ice.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not quite. Last season KHL used 3 types:

Classic European (30x60) 2 teams
NA (26x60) 5 teams, include SKA
Finnish (28x60) 17 teams

Yeah so only his home rink and several competitors. I'm sure it's a non factor.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I read it that he hasn’t played over here in North America, on North American ice. Maybe that wasn’t the meaning.

I’d say the more important thing is that he hadn’t played with any other players in the organization yet that he’ll be playing with in Columbus or the AHL.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I read it that he hasn’t played over here in North America, on North American ice. Maybe that wasn’t the meaning.
Playing in a NA rink, playing NA style of hockey, getting to know future coaches and teammates, adjusting to a different culture. I tried to point at all of those things with that misleading sentence. Imo it makes sense to send him to the tournament.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Marchenko just turned 22 year old, without a single game in NHL or AHL. And it's not like he was the super star of his KHL team.

Not trying to trash on the dude but I dont really see what'd put him in a position where he shouldnt be in the tourney. He could very easily play in AHL this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: koteka and VT

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Marchenko just turned 22 year old, without a single game in NHL or AHL. And it's not like he was the super star of his KHL team.

Not trying to trash on the dude but I dont really see what'd put him in a position where he shouldnt be in the tourney. He could very easily play in AHL this year.
He didn’t sign at a massive pay decrease to play in Cleveland. Not long term anyway. Just like Chinakhov last year

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I don't know how good he'll be but you're right that there is nothing on his resume that suggests he'd be too good for the AHL.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

He didn’t sign at a massive pay decrease to play in Cleveland. Not long term anyway. Just like Chinakhov last year
I don't know how good he'll be but you're right that there is nothing on his resume that suggests he'd be too good for the AHL.

It would be interesting to see the list of KHL/RSL players that have played in this tournament over its existence.

Marchenko is 1 of the most intriguing prospects the CBJ have had in recent memory, imo. I think the “boom or bust” label fits very well with him, as nobody really knows what’s going to be there at the NHL level. He should be a pretty “dominant” player at this tourney, either way.

I’ll be keeping a close eye on him and Mavrik Bourque. I drafted Bourque in a fantasy keeper league, he seems to be a remarkable player with a lot of NHL potential, and while he’s noticed for his points, seems to be “underrated” a bit when looking at a few other DAL prospects, and an EDM draft pick (Borgault -close enough-) that he played with in junior. Both guys have a good chance at being looked at as 1 of the best players of the tourney.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad