Prospect Info: CBJ in Traverse City, 2022 Edition | Sept. 15-19

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

Mateychuk said one of the things he's been working on during the summer was gap control. Since it seems more people are starting to notice his skills and positive overall impact he's having for the team, I'd like to know what do you guys think about his defensive play yesterday in these situations:

26:29
35:33
42:34
1:31:24
2:07:15
2:11:44

Do you see major concerns there, or is it more just small adjustments need to made that'll come naturally as he grows as a player? (didn't mean to cherry pick these plays from the recording to suggest he sucks defensively, there were good plays too, just want to hear what do you see in these moments)

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Cole Sillinger 5 points last year = standout.

Kent Johnson 5 points in 2 GP = ?
It not about points when playing these exhibition level games with prospects, invitees and different levels of goaltending being part of the equation. I refuse to ignore the little things that concern me when I observe KJs game while trying to measure it in totality and not just in this exhibition background. He had a few points against the Blues Thursday but I thought he was mediocre in that blowout win. Yet he looked much better overall in the loss to the Wings yesterday. I've stated many times in the past that Sillinger shoud have been back in juniors last season but that's yesterdays news. It's the situations created around him with some of his decisions with the puck both on the good side and the bad side. Sometimes it turns out great and sometimes he makes dangerous plays that create turnovers that put his teammates in difficult situations. It's about the balance and recognizing when or when not to take those risks. He's not there yet even at this level.

I doubt many people would look at KJs game and say he doesn't possess exceptional skill. It's improving the other parts of his game that I'm looking for. I remember everyone being wowed a few years back with Mathew Barzal and his skill level in the world junior championships. What I saw was a skilled kid that was a puck hog who didn't know how to use his teammates effectively. But he improved that when he got to the NHL and became a more dangerous all around player.

I don't worry that KJ can't/won't alter his game to improve these other parts of his game. I would prefer that he work on these things away from the NHL team even though I doubt that will happen.

Reactions: VT

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I hope KJ just works on being a good C...embracing the growth chance...yeah of course want to win this tourney again...but need to see him continue with another step...if it's him and Marchengoal on 3rd line with an Olivier or Bem...I hope he's ready to shine

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I said it while watching highlight videos and I’ll say it again after seeing these games… Why was skating the supposed knock on Mateychuk? Is it a “weird” style? Because he always looks fast and agile as hell to me.

As for Jiricek, frankly I get the vibe that he’s trying too hard to stand out playing against guys his own age.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
It not about points when playing these exhibition level games with prospects, invitees and different levels of goaltending being part of the equation. I refuse to ignore the little things that concern me when I observe KJs game while trying to measure it in totality and not just in this exhibition background. He had a few points against the Blues Thursday but I thought he was mediocre in that blowout win. Yet he looked much better overall in the loss to the Wings yesterday. I've stated many times in the past that Sillinger shoud have been back in juniors last season but that's yesterdays news. It's the situations created around him with some of his decisions with the puck both on the good side and the bad side. Sometimes it turns out great and sometimes he makes dangerous plays that create turnovers that put his teammates in difficult situations. It's about the balance and recognizing when or when not to take those risks. He's not there yet even at this level.

I doubt many people would look at KJs game and say he doesn't possess exceptional skill. It's improving the other parts of his game that I'm looking for. I remember everyone being wowed a few years back with Mathew Barzal and his skill level in the world junior championships. What I saw was a skilled kid that was a puck hog who didn't know how to use his teammates effectively. But he improved that when he got to the NHL and became a more dangerous all around player.

I don't worry that KJ can't/won't alter his game to improve these other parts of his game. I would prefer that he work on these things away from the NHL team even though I doubt that will happen.
That’s the thing, Sillinger has warts in his game. They still played him in the NHL.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
That’s the thing, Sillinger has warts in his game. They still played him in the NHL.
Yes true. That doesn't mean he should have been there. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't either. They are in the business of winning hockey games so I'm going to trust that they have weighed the benefits of winning hockey games vs or including prospect development.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I would also factor in mgmt of other assets. Why rush KJ if it costs Foudy or Bemer or one of the other assets?
I don't know if I fully believe this or not but the counter to that would be "tough luck to them we're in the Gaudreau era and Johnson gives us the best chance to win games and we also are a 3rd line forward factory anyway"

Eh who am I kidding I'm like 95% of the way to believing that.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Mateychuk said one of the things he's been working on during the summer was gap control. Since it seems more people are starting to notice his skills and positive overall impact he's having for the team, I'd like to know what do you guys think about his defensive play yesterday in these situations:

I think that was the smoothest deke by KJ that I've ever seen. :D
For Mateychuk he was at least in the right area code, unlike some of our D. I'm inclined to give him a pass on missing the pass.

Way too much gap for sure. Left him too slow to stay in the pass lane and seal off the pass. Gap control does take years to learn.

I think that's a case where simple adjustments can be made for skill level. Most junior kids can't drive the net like that and Mateychuk will quickly figure out what pros can do.

That's too passive for my taste - I prefer it when the defender moves across the pass lane toward the puck carrier. But I couldn't tell you what they even teach them these days so I don't know whether to judge the player.

I actually like the skate positioning and it forces a low danger pass. I'm not sure if that stick positioning is best.

Genuine ambiguity there on who takes who. It happens.

Do you see major concerns there, or is it more just small adjustments need to made that'll come naturally as he grows as a player?

I think all of those things are small adjustments. Jiricek definitely has a bigger problem with his back skating that I wouldn't call a small adjustment. I think Mateychuk might have enough of those little things figured out to make the Jackets roster in a year from now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't know if I fully believe this or not but the counter to that would be "tough luck to them we're in the Gaudreau era and Johnson gives us the best chance to win games and we also are a 3rd line forward factory anyway"

Eh who am I kidding I'm like 95% of the way to believing that.

That's my general attitude, but I also think that Bemstrom and Foudy are going to be good and valuable for us this year if they're kept on board. We've got waiver exempt guys that can go down first.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I think all of those things are small adjustments. Jiricek definitely has a bigger problem with his back skating that I wouldn't call a small adjustment. I think Mateychuk might have enough of those little things figured out to make the Jackets roster in a year from now.
Thanks, I think I agree that these are small things, now we just have to hope he will progress in these regards in MJ. To expand on one defensive detail of his game; I normally would like to see players go more down on 2vs1 to block passing lanes but it doesn't seem to be popular way of defending among young defensemen (I may be wrong on this, it's just my feeling). Mateychuk is not an exception, and I wonder how aware he is of the effects of staying always on his skates and trying to prevent goals that way. Right now too many passes are getting past him, imo.

As for making the team next year, there's also a high chance it ends up being a sort of annoying situation with him where he's too good to go back to juniors but isn't ready for NHL either and can't play in the AHL due to age. Kind of a problem Anaheim is having this year with Zellweger. Some Ducks fans on their board appear to be in agreement that the WHL defensemen of the year isn't quite ripe for NHL. He got schooled by Eklund on 1vs1 the other night, in a similar fashion as Svozil beat him at world juniors:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Thanks, I think I agree that these are small things, now we just have to hope he will progress in these regards in MJ. To expand on one defensive detail of his game; I normally would like to see players go more down on 2vs1 to block passing lanes but it doesn't seem to be popular way of defending among young defensemen (I may be wrong on this, it's just my feeling). Mateychuk is not an exception, and I wonder how aware he is of the effects of staying always on his skates and trying to prevent goals that way. Right now too many passes are getting past him, imo.

As for making the team next year, there's also a high chance it ends up being a sort of annoying situation with him where he's too good to go back to juniors but isn't ready for NHL either and can't play in the AHL due to age. Kind of a problem Anaheim is having this year with Zellweger. Some Ducks fans on their board appear to be in agreement that the WHL defensemen of the year isn't quite ripe for NHL. He got schooled by Eklund on 1vs1 the other night, in a similar fashion as Svozil beat him at world juniors:

And Laine made Seider look terrible last preseason but he did just fine.

Why exactly are we judging prospects in a pre camp tournament like its 3 months into the season and they are at their best? The defensemen need time, noone ever suggested otherwise. If anyone is looking beyond Johnson and Marchenko for immediate NHL readiness I think they are doing it wrong. Its fun to see how a prospect looks at any given time but a tournament where players are getting into shape and not going 100% isnt going to tell you much

Reactions: Doggy

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Sneaking a peak at work without volume and not super familiar with Leaf prospects

Not really seeing anyone stand out much.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Getting dominated and although he scored a goal, Jiricek has turned the puck over a lot and iced the puck a lot too

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
And Laine made Seider look terrible last preseason but he did just fine.
I assume their assessments of Zellweger weren't based off of that one play.

Why exactly are we judging prospects in a pre camp tournament like its 3 months into the season and they are at their best? The defensemen need time, noone ever suggested otherwise. If anyone is looking beyond Johnson and Marchenko for immediate NHL readiness I think they are doing it wrong. Its fun to see how a prospect looks at any given time but a tournament where players are getting into shape and not going 100% isnt going to tell you much
This paragraph wasn't directed to me specifically?

--------

Our transition game kind of stinks again, I want to think that lack of structure makes the players look worse than they really are.

Reactions: aRussian

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Maybe it’s me, but any live game I have watched KJ he has not impressed me. And it’s continuing today.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio

--------

Our transition game kind of stinks again, I want to think that lack of structure makes the players look worse than they really are.
Very sloppy “just let them play” going on. First line not adjusting to Toronto’s better defensive play so is trying to force passes. Others losing pucks when there is any pressure put on them. 4th line hitting but not hits that are removing pucks and creating turnovers. Lots of chasing the play. Overall pretty “meh” today

Suspect the bolded is a prime suspect

Reactions: tunnelvision

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Where are folks watching this? I'm trying to watch a bit of it at work but the only feed I can find is on nhl.com. The vid quality is very poor, is there nothing on youtube?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Where are folks watching this? I'm trying to watch a bit of it at work but the only feed I can find is on nhl.com. The vid quality is very poor, is there nothing on youtube?
I cant find anything else and the nhl.com feed keeps freezing up on me

--------

No its just a generic statement, why I said "if anyone" but could have led with that.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Not sure if it’s the same root feed or not, but if Twitter isn’t blocked it’s also streaming through CBJ account.

Video fine but I’m muted so can’t comment on audio

Reactions: majormajor

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Yeah Twitter is fine for me. Missed the first period and sounds like I didn't actually miss anything good... Knazko made some nice plays in the 2nd and maybe the end was a little better, but so far Leafs are definitely having more chances in this game.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Well they definitely put more pressure on at the end of the period. Glad they managed to cash

Reactions: LJ7

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
3-2 CBJ win in overtime with Johnson making a backhand pass in the middle to speeding Marchenko who does a wraparound to finish the game. 3-on-3 for prospects is actually fun; you get to see the individual players a little better, can watch them more closely and see what they do and how they react to different situations. Good confidence win after some humbling experiences in this and the last game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad