Prospect Info: CBJ in Traverse City, 2022 Edition | Sept. 15-19

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Wings get the first goal with a shot from the blue line, just a quick wrister that beats Cajan (might've been screened or deflected, hard to say from the replay angle).

Edit: First line scores to make it 1-1. Pyyhtiä with a bit of a mediocre shot from the middle, then Marchenko seemingly touches it to Johnson who gets the goal. Bit of a scramble but the first line is still good. Otherwise the game seems more even than yesterday (I missed the first 10 mins).

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Jackets gotta be sharper with the zone exits, Detroit's forecheck was really effective in the first. Lucky to be tied. Great period for KJ.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Honestly I keep seeing Pundits talk about how he’s a stay-home Dman with offensive upside but I feel that he’s the opposite. Not the biggest fan of his defensive game.

I like his zone defense but his transition defense is a disaster right now.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
CBJ with a PP that had a lot of "almost awesome" looks, lots of connecting passes. Not just with PP1/Johnson but also PP2/Dumais and Svozil with some nice ideas. Would love to see more PP from these kids.

Wings go up 4-1 but right after that Johnson and Marchenko connect for a nice goal. Johnson dishes a pass from behind the net and Marchenko tips it in. They seem like they could be building some chemistry slowly but surely.

Last edited:

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Know this game isn't as physical as a real game, but thinking that roster-wide our board play hasn't been that great. Someone gets a body on the puck carrier, seems we lose it more often than not.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
5-2 Wings win. This game could've been 5-5 or even 5-2 CBJ, it was a pretty close game (or I wouldn't even be surprised if CBJ won the shots and dangerous situations by some margin). Cossa in goal for the Wings was good. Fun game to watch, and more structured than the first game. Lots of opportunities.

Dumais fanned on a couple of chances in this game (although Cossa seems like he came up big in both of those). But he did have some good plays, a good quick shot in the 3rd period that was impressive.

Marchenko definitely has some moves - he's tenacious, big, uses his body, and just makes things happen. Doesn't always work out but he's noticeable on the ice and usually in a positive way. I think he will make the big team, if not right at the season opener then definitely towards the latter half.

And Johnson is a lock for opening night I think. He tries different things fearlessly, maybe makes one pass too many and doesn't connect half the time (not always his fault), but he's very creative and fun to watch. He creates so many opportunities for his linemates. He tried to do a give-and-go from the other side to Marchenko that just missed by a few inches I think, but man that was a very nice idea. Nice sliding move near the circle to hit the post in the 2nd period, too. He can make space for himself and others. Something is always happening when he has the puck.

Johnson-Marchenko could form a line (3rd?) for the big club.

Reactions: Fro

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Going off topic now but someone else started it. I like BobbyMac. I’m disgusted by the over positive homerism we get from the TV guys while BobbyMac is not afraid to criticize when our players do something wrong or are playing poorly in general. Shit, Rimer doesn’t know who is on the ice half the time and when he does he can’t pronounce their name correctly and gets the game call wrong.

Maybe the catch phrases are overdone but BobbyMac has a strong voice, good inflection, some personality and calls it like he sees it. Being a radio play by play guy for hockey has got to be really hard and he covers the analysts job as well (please keep Dylan off the in game calls…if there is going to be an in game analyst make it someone who understands the game better than me).

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
What! I’ll fight you over Dylan tyrer. I love that guy.

(Not seriously will I fight you. I’m over exaggerating my position for comedic effect.)

Bobby mac’s phrases are to try hard

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed that Johnson looks too good to be anywhere other than the NHL. He is going to get every opportunity to develop into a center, regardless of how we’ve seen him be used the last two seasons. It’s going to be a fun preseason.

I'm not sure if they'll actually play him at center in the NHL this early when he can barely ever win a draw. But it might be worth playing him through it until he learns.

Or maybe they'll be like "KJ, if you win 40% of your draws in practice, then we'll let you center Johnny and Patty". That should be motivation enough.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I know it's only a couple exhibition games but I don't think any of these guys are ready to make the NHL this season. I do see some interesting young players to be excited about.

Johnson could definitely use a year in the AHL but after signing Gaudreau they will want to ice the best team and unless Johnson bombs at camp he probaby belongs in the lineup somewhere (probably starts on the wing).

Marchenko needs to work on his skating, He falls way too much either because of his own bad skating or after being bodied by another player. He's got a good shot but he needs that skating work. He reminds me of a much more physical Bemstrom and that's not a bad thing. He should start in Cleveland.

Jiricek gets caught out of position a lot. I don't know if it's the way he's been coached up but it seems he doesn't choose his spots to be forward very well and gets caught up ice way too much. I think he has a lot of potential but he needs a couple years. It might be best to get him close to the CBJ coaching as soon as practical so they can groom him right. He has a lot of tools.

The rest of these guys need to mature at lower levels (euro, AHL, junior, etc.) but some had their moments (Dumais has played pretty well for a slow/small guy).

The last thing I wanted to post about was the best player I've seen so far and that is Denton Mateychuk. He can really skate and his edging is incredible. He never seems to panic with the puck even in tight zones. He moves the puck so quickly when he wants but he can also slow it down to create whatever he sees as he has really good vision of the ice. He isn't big but he doesn't get overwhelmed defensively or along the boards. He plays well in all three zones. This kid is a gem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad