CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
This buckeye team is too young and Ryan day called a horrible game

Last edited:

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Day's always been a second half coach IMO.

Regarding the youth of the team, obviously CJ has a lot on his shoulders, but the rest of the offense is stacked. The secondary is young, but Burke looked good and Proctor has had another year of development. Ransom flashed a bit as a freshman and laid a huge hit tonight. Cavazos got away with some PI but flashed at times. The linebackers are inexperienced for sure. D-line has just needed Harrison to step up and he looks like he's ready to be an impact player.

It was a gritty win. I'll absolutely take it with a guy who hadn't thrown a pass before tonight. Apparently CJ threw 4 consecutive TDs in the second half if I heard the post game correctly.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Day's always been a second half coach IMO.

Regarding the youth of the team, obviously CJ has a lot on his shoulders, but the rest of the offense is stacked. The secondary is young, but Burke looked good and Proctor has had another year of development. Ransom flashed a bit as a freshman and laid a huge hit tonight. Cavazos got away with some PI but flashed at times. The linebackers are inexperienced for sure. D-line has just needed Harrison to step up and he looks like he's ready to be an impact player.

It was a gritty win. I'll absolutely take it with a guy who hadn't thrown a pass before tonight. Apparently CJ threw 4 consecutive TDs in the second half if I heard the post game correctly.

I agree - tough matchup week 1 against a team bringing back 20 starters.
The O-line is huge and the receivers are top notch (maye the best set in the country) and a good stable of RBs.

My concerns:
1. QB play in the first half especially.
2. The defense - look Kerry Combs is a great recruiter. I didn't particularly like the way he coached the DBs but I could live with that when he coached there. I am concerned if he's the right guy to be the D-coordinator. I'm just not sure (like last year) if we have the right guys playing LB especially.

That being said I think OSU would intentionally run basic schemes, not giving Oregon a lot to plan/scheme for.
Offensively if we get solid/good QB play we have something potentially very special. But the defense is worrisome, so we shall see.

Reactions: Hello Johnny

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Looks like there’s two rebuilding teams in Columbus

(this is a tad dramatic since Ohio state is never truly rebuilding, but this roster is not very good)

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Offense just couldn't capitalize. Thought Stroud played a great game overall. If he had hit Wilson on the second to last drive it's a different game.

Liked most of the play calling except for the 4th and 3 inside the red zone in the third quarter. Would have taken the points, or at least ran the ball instead of going for the touchdown. There were some other plays I didn't like, but they moved the ball well overall.

Did not like the way Coombs called the game on defense. Beaten for a TD by the same play 3 times, and beaten by the same play on a crucial 3rd down. Didn't mix it up from straight man coverage all game. Very predictable. Combine that with how green our secondary and linebackers are and we've got a pretty weak defense.

Credit to Oregon. They dominated the line of scrimmage while on offense and executed well.

Playoff hopes aren't dead but when your defense is this easy to beat it could be a long season.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
As a non OSU fan their offense is really dangerous but that defense is terrible and has been under coach Day. They'll still beat Michigan and most likely win the B1G Championship. But not a national championship caliber defense.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
As a non OSU fan their offense is really dangerous but that defense is terrible and has been under coach Day. They'll still beat Michigan and most likely win the B1G Championship. But not a national championship caliber defense.

wouldn’t be so sure. They’re very lucky the Penn State game is a home game because they’d probably get wrecked in Happy Valley. We’ll see how Michigan progresses as the year goes on but the Buckeyes are vulnerable, Michigan is tired of the embarrassment, and it’s at the big house.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
In Day's first season Jeff Hafley was in charge of the D and they were great. Obviously Chase Young and Jeff Okudah were big time players but Hafley had that D in good shape. Coombs hasn't been good since his return.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
In Day's first season Jeff Hafley was in charge of the D and they were great. Obviously Chase Young and Jeff Okudah were big time players but Hafley had that D in good shape. Coombs hasn't been good since his return.

Yup. It’s not talent (even though Hafley had more), it’s not really even the scheme (Coombs is running the same scheme Hafley did). It’s their refusal to change what’s not working and adjust. The execution isn’t good either but that is again on coaching.

I get the defense is young . But this is two straight years that the D cost them a title. That’s on Day and Coombs. You don’t see these issues with Alabama or Clemson (not to this extent anyway). And that’s who we’re chasing.

Yes it’s “spoiled osu fan” syndrome but if these two schools are the bar you’re trying to get to then you have to compare yourself to them. And we’re clearly a big step behind Alabama.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Yup. It’s not talent (even though Hafley had more), it’s not really even the scheme (Coombs is running the same scheme Hafley did). It’s their refusal to change what’s not working and adjust. The execution isn’t good either but that is again on coaching.

I get the defense is young . But this is two straight years that the D cost them a title. That’s on Day and Coombs. You don’t see these issues with Alabama or Clemson (not to this extent anyway). And that’s who we’re chasing.

Yes it’s “spoiled osu fan” syndrome but if these two schools are the bar you’re trying to get to then you have to compare yourself to them. And we’re clearly a big step behind Alabama.
100% agreed. The bar is high and it should be high.

I love Ryan Day. If not for some questionable calls against Clemson in 2019, he'd have played for 2 straight NCs. That 2019 team deserved better.

That being said, he's enduring his first growing pains as a head coach. I like his gutsy play calling, but when you have Justin Fields it's a little easier to make those calls. I'd like to see a more conservative approach on some of the 4th downs with Stroud at the helm, even though I like what I've seen from him so far.

Day deserves blame for his choices this year on the defensive coaching staff, but hindsight is 20/20 and I understand him wanting to give Coombs (and the guys he promoted from within) another shot after the covid year.

Gonna be an interesting year.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Hope this is ok to put here.

To Crew fans:

I'm not a soccer fan/follower but I do watch some Crew and international games. I enjoy it ok when I watch and I am trying to learn and understand the game more/the passion, etc. When I was at the CBJ practice today I decided to drive past the new stadium. It looks mighty impressive. But while I was driving around the stadium it seems like it could become very congested around there and all of the parking seems like marked private lots. It was very confusing to me and there wasn't a game going on. So please...... help a NOOB out.

I want to go to a game. What the best way to do it (best places to sit/parking/tailgating/bars/etc... I don't need to pinch pennies but savings is always welcomed when comparing to convenience.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: sabremike and KCbus

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH

To Crew fans:

I'm not a soccer fan/follower but I do watch some Crew and international games. I enjoy it ok when I watch and I am trying to learn and understand the game more/the passion, etc. When I was at the CBJ practice today I decided to drive past the new stadium. It looks mighty impressive. But while I was driving around the stadium it seems like it could become very congested around there and all of the parking seems like marked private lots. It was very confusing to me and there wasn't a game going on. So please...... help a NOOB out.

I want to go to a game. What the best way to do it (best places to sit/parking/tailgating/bars/etc... I don't need to pinch pennies but savings is always welcomed when comparing to convenience.

Thanks in advance.
Lower.com Field has the disadvantage of being built AFTER all the parking lots had been constructed. Most of the available parking was put there with Nationwide Arena in mind. Huntington Park has the benefit of being close to the arena, as well as being even closer to some of the smaller parking lots meant for the arena. So, unfortunately, going to a soccer game now means doing some walking, in all likelihood.

There are some spots literally right across the street from the building, but they cost $25 a match. If you're willing to spend that money, you can go to Park Mobile's website and reserve them in advance. Getting in and out might be a headache, though.

I've been there four or five times already, and I've just paid the $6 or $9 to park in the garage on Marconi or the one at the top of the hill and made the walk.

Reactions: Byrral

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
As for where to sit, I would recommend sitting on the sidelines. And like hockey, you get a better view of the action if you're a few rows up. You get a good view from the endlines for the action that's happening right in front of you, but the stuff at the other end seems pretty far away (at least if you're in the lower bowl).

I try to be in the back half of the lower bowl or the front half of the upper bowl. But sitting all the way up top still gives you a great view.

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

To Crew fans:

Thanks in advance.
You'll love it! It's an amazing stadium. The food is WAY better than Nationwide. The team wins more than it loses at home. Getting in and out is generally a breeze.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
That World Cup Qualifier last night was off the hook. Always a thrill to attend a meaningful game where the name of the team you're rooting for is The United States of America.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
They were losing a lot of games earlier this season. That is also a very CBJ thing. They seem to be turning the corner, but it might be too little, too late.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad