CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Anyone else feel like the Indians just chose a random word ending in "ians" as their team name and then tried to create a narrative around it.

Reactions: Halfboard

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Anyone else feel like the Indians just chose a random word ending in "ians" as their team name and then tried to create a narrative around it.
I was thinking something like that, and then I started skimming through Twitter to see how folks were reacting, and then started looking in other places as well. And from that I'm getting the impression that a lot of Cleveland-area folks think it's eminently appropriate given those two statues near Progressive Field.

I'm not a Clevelander and never will be, so I'ma defer to them on that.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I was thinking something like that, and then I started skimming through Twitter to see how folks were reacting, and then started looking in other places as well. And from that I'm getting the impression that a lot of Cleveland-area folks think it's eminently appropriate given those two statues near Progressive Field.

I'm not a Clevelander and never will be, so I'ma defer to them on that.
Yeah, I'm not a Cleveland fan and I can see the connection. I'm still not sold on the name. It reminds me of an Arena Football team name. I guess as a baseball purist and fan of the Reds and Red Sox I prefer more "old-timey" names and I would have liked Spiders as the choice.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Yeah, I'm not a Cleveland fan and I can see the connection. I'm still not sold on the name. It reminds me of an Arena Football team name. I guess as a baseball purist and fan of the Reds and Red Sox I prefer more "old-timey" names and I would have liked Spiders as the choice.
It has something to do with the bridge. Also, probably for marketing as the new logo kind of looks like the old one.

Not a fan of the name, I also was hoping for the Spiders, but whatever.

Unfortunately for me, I have become less of a baseball fan over the years. I love good pitching, and good fundemental baseball. I can't stand watching these hitters constantly strike out, not be able to lay down a good bunt, or adjust their approach at the plate and just hit into the shift against them.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It has something to do with the bridge. Also, probably for marketing as the new logo kind of looks like the old one.

Not a fan of the name, I also was hoping for the Spiders, but whatever.

Unfortunately for me, I have become less of a baseball fan over the years. I love good pitching, and good fundemental baseball. I can't stand watching these hitters constantly strike out, not be able to lay down a good bunt, or adjust their approach at the plate and just hit into the shift against them.
You are preaching to the choir here. I've been following baseball more closely recently because my nephew is a top pitching prospect eligible for next year's draft and it drives me crazy how everyone tries to hit home runs and nobody plays small ball anymore. I miss the strategy of bunts, sacrifices, and stolen bases. Do more of that and you'll keep defenses honest and stop shifting the infield.

I think Exit Velocity is the most worthless stat in baseball. I don't care how hard you hit the ball if you hit it right at someone. Find gaps and run hard.

Reactions: Monstershockey

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
You are preaching to the choir here. I've been following baseball more closely recently because my nephew is a top pitching prospect eligible for next year's draft and it drives me crazy how everyone tries to hit home runs and nobody plays small ball anymore. I miss the strategy of bunts, sacrifices, and stolen bases. Do more of that and you'll keep defenses honest and stop shifting the infield.

I think Exit Velocity is the most worthless stat in baseball. I don't care how hard you hit the ball if you hit it right at someone. Find gaps and run hard.
Hope it all works out for your nephew. Thats got to be exciting for him.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
upload_2021-7-23_14-4-43.png

Reactions: Fro and Nanabijou

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
With the way the Crew are playing right now I think the suck has left Nationwide Arena and just moved further down the street.

Or it expanded. Not sure which. The Clippers aren't that great this year either.

Reactions: koteka

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
With the way the Crew are playing right now I think the suck has left Nationwide Arena and just moved further down the street.

Or it expanded. Not sure which. The Clippers aren't that great this year either.
The whole Arena District is affected by the Penitentiary Curse. It's the only rational explanation. :nod:

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
The Crew are playing so bad right now, that against all odds, they're making me look forward to watching whatever the hell the Jackets are going to be.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If certain teams would just be honest about their team name origins and not concoct fake backstories to those names maybe they wouldn't get cursed!
I'm conflicted as to whether or not I should offer the absurd over the top reply or the actual contemplative and sober reply.

I know! I'll mix both!

:ahem:

IT IS NOT A FAKE IT IS THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH HOW DARE YOU because y'see it's very possible that they legitimately thought of it as what we hear about today and didn't consciously realize that any other connection could have been wandering around in their heads until it was pointed out to them far too late and they abruptly realized "oh crap - well, that's not what our intent was, best double down" SO IT IS NOT AND NEVER WAS A FAKE AND YOUR LIES MUST BE PURGED
chainsaw.gif

:thumbu:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I'm conflicted as to whether or not I should offer the absurd over the top reply or the actual contemplative and sober reply.

I know! I'll mix both!

:ahem:

IT IS NOT A FAKE IT IS THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH HOW DARE YOU because y'see it's very possible that they legitimately thought of it as what we hear about today and didn't consciously realize that any other connection could have been wandering around in their heads until it was pointed out to them far too late and they abruptly realized "oh crap - well, that's not what our intent was, best double down" SO IT IS NOT AND NEVER WAS A FAKE AND YOUR LIES MUST BE PURGED
chainsaw.gif

:thumbu:

This is how the curse wins. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->