Dreger: "CBJ and Nashville with trade offers for Matt Duchene"

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Weirdly I'm not that nervous about it. If he doesn't sign, review all the offers and take the best one. We have a lot of forward prospects coming up so i'm optimistic either way.

The common scenario is NYI keeps him for playoff push in hopes he resigns, but doesn't trade him. Worked out well for Stamkos in TBL but poorly for Backes in STL and Stastny in Col.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I could totally see there not being a trade that made sense from CBJ's side. Although I think with the addition of Panarin they are closer than people give them credit for.

Mackinnon, Jost and Rantanen are all untouchable, for the same reason I don't bother bringing up players like Jones or scarface.

CBJ has so many pieces that a deal could certainly be made without Wennberg, but players like Murray, Jenner, and Milano would be small pieces, not center pieces is my main point.

I think a deal like Bjork, Carlsson and a 1st could also be along the lines of something the Avs could go for.

I really don't see a deal being made then. While yes the Jackets could do that deal and still be a good team, we could just as easily do absolutely nothing, keep Bjork and hope that he reaches his potential 30G scorer in the coming years, keep Carlsson and see if he can force his way up the roster and let this team develop and hit its prime together. Just like Sakic, Jarmo is going to be extremely patient and wait for the perfect deal.

The FO is extremely high on Bjorkstrand, Carlsson and PLD. I don't think they expect PLD to have a Matthew's type season, but they expect him to come in and help make the team better when he does eventually make the team.

So I guess my point is that I think it comes down to how Jarmo values Duchene. If he thinks he can get back to close to PPG then I say it's worth the risk. If you think he's gonna hover between 50-60 pts than I say you're better off holding onto PLD and Carlsson because those two could really be worth more than Duchene in 2-3 seasons.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Its the ******* metro! Panarin don't mean **** with AO, and I'm sure Duchene and Wennberg are good but, Crosby Malkin...argh...I don't think we are anywhere near them...have to hope they screw up, and the flyers are coming...islander Tavares...I miss the central...and we got our ass beat their too...

Haha I'd give CBJ more credit. They are super deep and each year teams like Pit and WSH lose depth and get older.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
No because trades are more uncommon and MSM speculates like CRAZY to fill air time and get clicks.

Yeah, but I compartmentalize click bait from facts.

So unless teams start calling Garth and he makes it know he's willing to move him, then drags his feet.

All the while JT being more than worth the package that Sakic is asking for Duchene.

Believe me, we don't need Avs fans pitty

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Its the ******* metro! Panarin don't mean **** with AO, and I'm sure Duchene and Wennberg are good but, Crosby Malkin...argh...I don't think we are anywhere near them...have to hope they screw up, and the flyers are coming...islander Tavares...I miss the central...and we got our ass beat their too...

Exactly Duchene or Wennberg and Dubinsky isn't enough. Now all 3 with Sedlak playing like he did last year and I think we have a chance because our D and Bob. But only if we're mostly healthy..

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I really don't see a deal being made then. While yes the Jackets could do that deal and still be a good team, we could just as easily do absolutely nothing, keep Bjork and hope that he reaches his potential 30G scorer in the coming years, keep Carlsson and see if he can force his way up the roster and let this team develop and hit its prime together. Just like Sakic, Jarmo is going to be extremely patient and wait for the perfect deal.

The FO is extremely high on Bjorkstrand, Carlsson and PLD. I don't think they expect PLD to have a Matthew's type season, but they expect him to come in and help make the team better when he does eventually make the team.

So I guess my point is that I think it comes down to how Jarmo values Duchene. If he thinks he can get back to close to PPG then I say it's worth the risk. If you think he's gonna hover between 50-60 pts than I say you're better off holding onto PLD and Carlsson because those two could really be worth more than Duchene in 2-3 seasons.

I'd say that is very possible and wouldn't surprise me at all.

We're at the same point we have been at for the past 4 months, waiting for a GM to make an offer good enough to get Duchene.

CBJ is just one possible team with a reasonable motive and the pieces.

This'll go on for a few more months I'm sure.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Yeah, but I compartmentalize click bait from facts.

So unless teams start calling Garth and he makes it know he's willing to move him, then drags his feet.

All the while JT being more than worth the package that Sakic is asking for Duchene.

Believe me, we don't need Avs fans pitty

Haha well I'm gald for you because few people are capable of that. Hence the "Duchene for Drias!!!??" thread on the main board

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Exactly Duchene or Wennberg and Dubinsky isn't enough. Now all 3 with Sedlak playing like he did last year and I think we have a chance because our D and Bob. But only if we're mostly healthy..

Nsh made it to the final through D depth, and goal tending. If more of CBJ's goal scorers had showed up in the 1st round we'd have had a very different playoffs.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Haha I'd give CBJ more credit. They are super deep and each year teams like Pit and WSH lose depth and get older.

Washington, yes. Pittsburgh doesn't really matter as Crosby and Malkin elevate anyone they play with and they help insulate each other as they both are 1Cs on probably 25+ teams around the league. As long as they can lineup a good (enough) D and solid goaltending they can keep competing until Crosby and Malkin decide they've had enough.. Which would be another 5-10 seasons for all we know.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
The common scenario is NYI keeps him for playoff push in hopes he resigns, but doesn't trade him. Worked out well for Stamkos in TBL but poorly for Backes in STL and Stastny in Col.

I wouldn't do that, but other fans prob disagree with me on that.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Washington, yes. Pittsburgh doesn't really matter as Crosby and Malkin elevate anyone they play with and they help insulate each other as they both are 1Cs on probably 25+ teams around the league. As long as they can lineup a good (enough) D and solid goaltending they can keep competing until Crosby and Malkin decide they've had enough.. Which would be another 5-10 seasons for all we know.

30% of playoffs are just who gets lucky with injuries. WSH has chocked every year and how long can Pit rely on rookies coming up and playing at MVP levels. Also dont have MAF to fall back on anymore.

I think its closer than you give it credit for. If freaking OTT can take the pens to game 7 CBJ certainly could.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Nsh made it to the final through D depth, and goal tending. If Bobrovsky had showed up in the 1st round we'd have had a very different playoffs.

Fixed that for you. Now I'm not putting this all on Bob, but the games before the playoffs started Bob was not playing well, like at all and many on the CBJ boards we're concerned. I figured he would shake it off, but it continued right into the playoffs.

There were other factors as well, Nuutivara and Murray were both injured, players who were hot early on seemingly lost confidence, combined with putting Carlsson in the flames straight into the playoffs was a recipe for disaster.

Not to mention Fleury played like a man on fire...

I still think if Dubinsky scores that goal in OT that went off Fleury the series momentum completely changes.

Just fuel to the rivalry.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
30% of playoffs are just who gets lucky with injuries. WSH has chocked every year and how long can Pit rely on rookies coming up and playing at MVP levels. Also dont have MAF to fall back on anymore.

I think its closer than you give it credit for. If freaking OTT can take the pens to game 7 CBJ certainly could.
Techhhhhhhhnically Murray won them both of their last cups, but without Fleury or some other goalie with a miracle performance, Murray going down would have been an absolute momentum killer for Pittsburgh before game one. Not trading fleury was best thing that happened to them.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Fixed that for you. Now I'm not putting this all on Bob, but the games before the playoffs started Bob was not playing well, like at all and many on the CBJ boards we're concerned. I figured he would shake it off, but it continued right into the playoffs.

There were other factors as well, Nuutivara and Murray were both injured, players who were hot early on seemingly lost confidence, combined with putting Carlsson in the flames straight into the playoffs was a recipe for disaster.

Not to mention Fleury played like a man on fire...

I still think if Dubinsky scores that goal in OT that went off Fleury the series momentum completely changes.

Just fuel to the rivalry.

I mean it was a combination of a lot of thing but my point still stands. CBJ have a roster that could contend for the Cup, and it wouldn't be unheard of to go for it now should they choose.

Internet Explorer

Better than Chrome
Sep 14, 2009
Internet

Do you think Pittsburgh got lucky this year with injuries? And those rookies are still on elc oh and that other goal tender Pittsburgh has...Jarry? He's pretty good too. Freaking ott took the pens to seven with injuries specifically to letang. A even more injury riddled Penguins team decimated cbj this year. The bluejackets are an embarrassing team trying to live in the shadow Of Pittsburgh, Washington and Philly.

WhiteWings*

Sep 1, 2016
People are talking about a center who was pointless in 22 of his last 25 NHL games and wanna give away Murray AND Jenner AND a pick for him? If that's the price Colorado can enjoy him for the next 2 years till he leaves that dumpster fire for nothing.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Do you think Pittsburgh got lucky this year with injuries? And those rookies are still on elc oh and that other goal tender Pittsburgh has...Jarry? He's pretty good too. Freaking ott took the pens to seven with injuries specifically to letang. A even more injury riddled Penguins team decimated cbj this year. The bluejackets are an embarrassing team trying to live in the shadow Of Pittsburgh, Washington and Philly.

I would say Pit was about average to a little unlucky but nothing disastrous.

More so that just there tends to be a correlation between injury luck and playoff success.

Its generally more so an extreme cases like with Bos this year that it is a significant factor, where as when there are 2 close teams its who gets injured that can affect match ups and swing the outcome.

I'm surely not identifying it as the causation of the outcome but it is certainly always a significant factor.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
People are talking about a center who was pointless in 22 of his last 25 NHL games and wanna give away Murray AND Jenner AND a pick for him? If that's the price Colorado can enjoy him for the next 2 years till he leaves that dumpster fire for nothing.

If you choose the cherry pick this hard then you will be able to convince yourself of anything.

In all fairness its a common trend for many which is why we consistently see players who go on hot streaks in the playoffs get massively overpaid, and become problems later.

Internet Explorer

Better than Chrome
Sep 14, 2009
Internet
I would say Pit was about average to a little unlucky but nothing disastrous.

More so that just there tends to be a correlation between injury luck and playoff success.

Its generally more so an extreme cases like with Bos this year that it is a significant factor, where as when there are 2 close teams its who gets injured that can affect match ups and swing the outcome.

I'm surely not identifying it as the causation of the outcome but it is certainly always a significant factor.

I'm too drunk to understand most of what you said. I like you.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't think you know me, I would absolutely give away Jost and Meloche if the deal was right. I proposed Duchene and Jost for Galchenyuk and Sergachev one time which angered Avs fans.

Jost, Meloche, Dubois, and Elvis all have six games of NHL experience combined. Of course I never meant to justify that Dubois and Elvis suck so this is a good deal for CBJ. Not even close, I hate when posters want "player x", the opposing fanbase comes in and says the offer sucks, and the original poster bash the player they made the thread for. I cannot stand those hypocrites. Of course Dubois and Elvis have good potential and realistic talent to play in the NHL. That's why I want them, but you cannot sit there and justify to me that they're worth Duchene.

So you just have a low opinion of the trade value of prospects in general. I suppose that's fair, if a little perplexing.

Especially when you use words like "deteriorate" in the same sentence for Matt Duchene. Your second porition of your post shows how weak your argument is when you have to "fear monger" to get any point across. Duchene would absolutely be PPG player on Blue Jackets.

I don't do trade negging. You suggested what the worst possible risk is, and I told you. Perhaps I should have made it clear that I don't consider that particularly likely... but then again, I also consider your fears w/r/t PLD and Murray to also be extremely unlikely.

* * *​
I just really want PLD and Murray though

We want someone better than Duchene, but, y'know, some things just aren't available. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad