Confirmed with Link: [CBJ/ANA] Milano traded for Devin Shore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'm actually optimistic about this move. I think Shore could thrive under Torts, and Sonny wasn't doing much besides the occasional high light reel goal.

Reactions: Martin Sloan

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Shore hasn't been a slouch by any means over his last few weeks...

4 points in his last 7 games... which is better than nyquist in comparison within that span lol. (sonny has had 4 points in his last 13 games).

not horrible. I've watched every single one of his goals this year, they have all either came on a (boone jenner type) redirection or within 3 feet of the net area. torts player to a T. couldn't be more opposite in terms of how he produces his offense compared to Sonny.

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Hmmm, Maybe? .....He can’t keep pace with Boone’s -12 or Anderson’s -8?

Boone plays in the defensive end a lot. Nobody else can win a face off. Anderson has had a lousy season — nobody is disputing that.

+/- is useless on its own. But when you look at a few other facts, I think it shows the Jackets score more when Sonny is on the ice, but so does the other team. You don’t need to just score goals to win a hockey game, you need to score more goals than the other team.

Reactions: thebus88

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Probably a good trade for all involved.
Sonny needed a fresh start in a new organization.
Sounds like Shore maybe the type of guy our coaches may like.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Hey, Ducks fan here but been following your team because of your recent goalie duo :)

Since Milano wasn`t playing anyways for you, I think Shore will surely be an upgrade for you. He is solid all around but nothing too flashy. He usually works hard so I see no issues with Torts.
Shore can play but he is not gonna rack up much goals. But he can play against other top lines and rack some dirty goals in here and there.

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
Shore might not be a world .beater, but he is a veteran NHLer who is also healthy. The latter alone has to count for something with the current state of the CBJ

Reactions: LoveCBJ

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
He may be healthy. But remember he has not played a game yet for the Jackets. In general I think this was a rather pedestrian move adding another low skill grinder to the waves of grinders we already have. Longer term could this allow the buy out of Wennberg? Probably not. Seems like grabbing for a floating log just to keep us afloat. And that may b necessary if Nash is out.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
A third line plugger that Torts will play for an inconsistent talent that Torts doesn't trust with ice time.
Someone that can help the team > someone that can't help the team from the press box.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Can't believe this hasnt been posted yet...

Screenshot_20200224-212518_Reddit.jpg

I'd post a link to explain to people that don't get it, but I can't even post a clip that's NOT extremely NSFW and I dunno if I'm allowed ‍♂️

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
That Sonny was traded makes sense as he had no future - actually no present - with the Jackets. I’d have rather gotten a draft pick rather than another bottom 6 center. However, there will no doubt be that moment in the first or second game where Shore does something surprising prompting posts that “we’ve finally found our 2C”. :naughty:

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

two goals tonight in his debut and drew the penalty that put the ducks on the game winning power play. of course.

Reactions: The Bread Man

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

two goals tonight in his debut and drew the penalty that put the ducks on the game winning power play. of course.

A CBJ tradition as old as time. Trading someone away and them producing.

I'm rooting for him. He'll be given a very long leash. But it wasn't going to work here with Torts. If it works in Anaheim, then good on him for turning his career around.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

It’s a good thing the cbj are so stacked at forward that they can just give away former first round picks . No surprise though , our fans have been conditioned by 2 of the better dinosaur coaches out there that you don’t need skill on your team , you just need a bunch of grinders on your team . Good for you Sonny Milano , you are finally free , free at last

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
A CBJ tradition as old as time. Trading someone away and them producing.

I'm rooting for him. He'll be given a very long leash. But it wasn't going to work here with Torts. If it works in Anaheim, then good on him for turning his career around.
Seems to be becoming a pattern . Perhaps there’s a reasoning for these players suddenly showing their potential , the moment they are traded out of here . I promise, I’m a huge fan of the cbj , I just don’t get how our fans are so blind to Torts , and his player utilization

Reactions: We Want Ten

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Seems to be becoming a pattern . Perhaps there’s a reasoning for these players suddenly showing their potential , the moment they are traded out of here . I promise, I’m a huge fan of the cbj , I just don’t get how our fans are so blind to Torts , and his player utilization

I don’t think there’s a pattern.

Karlsson we can all agree he was misused and under used here. So we won’t debate that.

the next one people talk about is Duclair. But I disagree. Duclair showed his potential in New York and in Arizona before falling off the nhl map due to reasons I don’t know. Then He got here, and showed that same potential that made him a top prospect for a few weeks. After that? He wasn’t much. He got traded to a no pressure environment and no expectations and again flashed potential. This year, it’s Basically a carbon copy of last year except without the trade. He was an average player here with potential, he’s an average player there with potential.

Dzingel is the one who ive seen talked about next. He has a bad run here, but he was at best a 2nd line scorer. He had a nice start in Carolina but he’s gone back to being what he usually is, and that’s a decent 2nd liner ideally on the third line. A valuable piece, but he’d be a 3rd liner for us if we were healthy.

Now Milano. Yes, he has tons of potential and has a ton of offensive flare. But he’s had issues with not just torts, but the coaches in Cleveland as well. He goes to a no pressure environment who will allow him to run free and try things, so I wouldn’t be surprised if his stats look good. But you don’t win hockey games consistently playing a loose offensive style. You pad your stats, but you don’t defend and you don’t win when it matters. John Gibson is a good goalie, and he’s getting shelled this year.

For every Karlsson, Milano, Duclair, and Dzingel there’s a Werenski, Bjorkstrand, Brad Richards, Sam Gagner, and PLD. Torts isn’t perfect, but when you play for him and fight, you usually wind up alright.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
So now, instead of having 18 points in 46 games, he has 20 in 47.

My mind is completely changed. Especially considering he’s a skill guy with more penalty minutes than points.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

It’s a good thing the cbj are so stacked at forward that they can just give away former first round picks . No surprise though , our fans have been conditioned by 2 of the better dinosaur coaches out there that you don’t need skill on your team , you just need a bunch of grinders on your team . Good for you Sonny Milano , you are finally free , free at last

I don't know, I'm more conditioned to winning overt the last couple years. I don't care who the coach is.

Best of luck to Sonny. I always liked him and his skill but as with others before him he'll move on to a lesser team and have some success. Wild Bill was the only anomaly that quickly comes to mind

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Good to see Sonny annointed as the next great one after one game. I wish him well but I'm going to wait a little longer to determine if we let a future Hall of Famer go.... I don't see him driving a team but being a passenger. Just wasn't going to happen here and with a winning team I don't see who he displaces in Columbus.

Reactions: Fireball23

Fireball23

Mar 5, 2014
does it really matter?
Sonny is not going to sustain this. Once a bettter D team starts to put pressure on him he will revert back to missing in action Milano.

Perfect run and gun setting against Oilers. Yes everyone has that initial. I will show them what they lost. And he will be back to usual aloof self. .

Reactions: thebus88

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Good to see Sonny annointed as the next great one after one game. I wish him well but I'm going to wait a little longer to determine if we let a future Hall of Famer go.... I don't see him driving a team but being a passenger. Just wasn't going to happen here and with a winning team I don't see who he displaces in Columbus.

But I bet if Shore would have been great it would have been a "winning trade" after 1 game.
Listen I don't think anyone thinks Milano will be a star, but his style (maybe personality) wasn't going to fit here. I wish him all the best he needed a change.
Our coach (and his style) doesn't usually fit with guys who are not invested defensively. Grinders usually always fir well in this system and especially a guy who can play center and can take draws.

Trades like this are good trades. We aren't likely to "win" it. Shore just doesn't have as much upside as Milano. But in short term (balance of 2020) we will likely get some minutes out of him.
We've made plenty of these trades in past but more times than not we were taking on the talented under-achiever, sometimes it works out great (Manny Malhotra is top of mind) and most times we get a look-see at a guy and he moves along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad