CBC’s sports operations dwindle toward extinction

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
No, they are not targeted directly or otherwise. There are no numbers kept on how many foreigners watch Canadian television, so advertisers have no choice but to assume zero and act like nothing exists beyond the Canadian border.

I can't speak to why WUTV doesn't have a newscast, more likely it's a leftover from it's pre-Fox independent days, and doesn't want to spend the extra money actually hiring television personalities. Besides, anytime a Canadian channel simulcasts with an American channel, the Canadian channel supplants the American signal, shutting out American advertisers. Likewise, ratings are not kept on viewers of American channels, so any American advertiser looking to target Canadian viewers is just throwing his money away...
Not true, they target canadians with advertising all the time. Evil we are in the age of globalization, just because there's no ratings kept does not mean they are not there. WXYZ and WDIV Detroit count essex and lambton as part of metro Detroit and even mention Windsor as header on broadcasts sometimes.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
Not true, they target canadians with advertising all the time. Evil we are in the age of globalization, just because there's no ratings kept does not mean they are not there. WXYZ and WDIV Detroit count essex and lambton as part of metro Detroit and even mention Windsor as header on broadcasts sometimes.

There's definitely some marketing across borders, but it's very rare to see a Canadian ad on Detroit tv and no, Caesars Windsor and Tim Hortons don't count :) Anything that is Canada based is almost always marketed towards Detroiters, not Canadians. I've never seen a Boston Pizza, Rona or Canadian Tire commercial on a Detroit station.

On the opposite side, CBC Windsor used to show American ads during NHL and Olympic coverage but that has largely subsided compared to years ago. It used to be common place to see a Belle Tire commercial during HNIC but I don't see them advertising anymore. It's virtually all Canadian companies.

The only stations that regularly broadcast ads from both sides of the river are the CHUM Group/CTV owned radio stations that are based in Windsor but also market to Detroit. On those, you will hear a Shoppers Drug Mart ad followed by a Meijer commercial.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I can't speak to why WUTV doesn't have a newscast, more likely it's a leftover from it's pre-Fox independent days, and doesn't want to spend the extra money actually hiring television personalities. Besides, anytime a Canadian channel simulcasts with an American channel, the Canadian channel supplants the American signal, shutting out American advertisers. Likewise, ratings are not kept on viewers of American channels, so any American advertiser looking to target Canadian viewers is just throwing his money away...

You're entirely wrong on WUTV. I mean they play O Canada during their sign offs... they most certainly assume Canadians are watching, and for good reason because most everyone I know in Southern Ontario watches their syndicated programming. Nothing to do with simultaneous substitution. These stations do internal studies to determine who is watching on the other side of the border. It doesn't matter that there's no official numbers... they know who is watching. Your assumption that everyone MUST assume that nobody on either side of the border is watching is just ridiculous... you assume everyone is watching because it increases your potential market share.

As to CBET, I assume people in Detroit have largely stopped watching the network because there is no HD feed available on this side of the river. And most of the CBC shows that were popular here are long gone (Beachcombers, Mr. Dressup, etc.). But as was mentioned, in the heyday you would frequently see ads for Detroit area companies on CBET. Even today you see a lot of Windsor companies clearly targeting cross border traffic. Plus, all of the local news stations in Detroit give temperatures for Windsor, Essex and Sarnia.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
HNIC (or LSDH) isn't on SRC anymore.

I hope the league does nothing to save HNIC on CBC, as it did nothing to save LSDH on SRC.

As long as it's still called HNIC, I'm fine with it, though.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Notorious? I don't ever remember TSN pre-empting an NHL game for some other sporting event.

Dec. 20th 2010. Its not about the memory of it, it is a matter of it happening. Just don't debate the item if you don't know.

You also clearly don't remember the days when CBC would cut to the National before hockey games were over. Dave Hodge got fired from CBC because of that way back then, as he dared to express his disgust with the practice on-air.

I remember vividly. I would the say the NHL and the CBC are quite different from 25 years ago, no?

Bottom line, methinks you're living in some parallel universe

Fortunately I have thick skin and my feelings don't get hurt as easily as some around here. Although I have always said those who live in glass houses, my friend.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
It's just like American programming back in the day, CBC doesn't have the funding to keep up and they shouldn't try. As long as they can keep HNIC, it doesn't really matter... and I'm sure the NHL wouldn't allow that to die, even if it means splitting their Canadian broadcast TV contract.

Oh yes they would. It's up to the CBC to pay market value, not the NHL to subsidize them.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Wok with Yan, best show ever!!!

Yepp. And Graham Kerr's Galloping Gourmet. James Barber. The Trouble with Tracy. Razzle Dazzle. Its' all Canadiana colloquialism's. Tooques & Relics Jet Boat. The world has grown & the CBC hasnt kept up.

As long as it's still called HNIC, I'm fine with it, though.

Do they actually own the rights to the name?. Registered & copywrited?. That'd be a real beaut if they didnt. They really blew it but good with the theme song. :shakehead

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Everyone is missing the point. The CBC is a taxpayer funded operation. The purpose of the CBC isn't to beat rival broadcasters that have recently shown up.
The purpose of the CBC is to show what Canadians want to see that would never survive on a private broadcasting channel.

If the CBC outbids TSN for the CFL....they just, as a government run entity, hampered a private business from succeeding in Canada.

Is that the purpose of the CBC??

I want CBC to give me news and stuff I'd like to see but a major network would never show......and I want to be able to tap into it regardless of where I am.

The respect I have for the CBC comes from being up in the north of Ontario.........hanging at the cottage. When the cable/satellite goes out or even before they existed...I could get the CBC. I could get the news, the sports, the weather and some mediocre shows. It was good to have.

I don't expect more from the CBC. Their purpose is to be available to everyone and give everyone something decent to watch. That doesn't always mean NHL hockey.

Just the news and weather is pretty solid when you are relying on them because all you have is an antenna you put up in the 80's and you are way too far away to get cable. The CBC is a basic service. If it makes financial sense to the government to act like a private broadcaster....fine....do it. But, don't muscle out TSN & Sportsnet on the taxpayers dime.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
The CBC never pre-empts any of their licensed broadcasts. Nothing plays second fidle to hockey on CBC.
Maybe you should have reminded them of that policy when they pre-empted the All-Star game for curling coverage a few weeks ago.

So I guess the rural folk who still use over the air antennas will be S O L

They'll be SOL anyway once digital broadcasting takes over. They'll have to upgrade to a HD digital receiver and antenna regardless, so they'll most likely not be affected at all by a move to CTV. And quite frankly, speaking as someone who still uses an antenna in central Toronto, I get two dozen Canadian channels (and half a dozen US stations before they went digital), but not the CBC. That's not good bang for my tax buck.

The CBC long outlasted its usefulness. It no longer serves a purpose. It has no more Canadian content than CTV, it doesn't provide any programming that can't be found on private Canadian networks, and has the most blatantly biased news cast of any of the major Canadian broadcasters. When they needed a documentary on Canadian troops in Afghanistan, they bought it from the U.S. When you can't make ends meet with a one billion dollar head start, it's time to pack it in.

CTV has become the true Canadian network over the last twenty years. They've outdone CBC with Olympic coverage all the way back to Lillehammer. Their Canadian content shows are superior and get picked up in the States and around the world (Degrassi, Flashpoint, Corner Gas, The Listener, etc) and all for not a penny of my tax dollars. As we saw with the HNIC theme, the nostalgia wears off really quickly and not having HNIC on the CBC is nothing Canadians won't be able to deal with. IMHO CTV can't get HNIC soon enough.

Last edited:

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Weird... I saw the entire Allstar game. The only explaination is that the paralell universe that I exist in has a different CBC feed. :laugh:

The pre game show was expected to start @ 4:00 because of the curling most of pre game show did get canned.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So how much hockey got missed?

I dont think any of the actual game, but I do remember that. I was good to go in my Snuggli & Bam, Curling!. WTF?!. Pre-empting the player introductions?. Thats the best part. They really blew it ABD. I got halfway down to the station in my JeepersCreepers 47 Harvester Panel Van Rat Rod loaded for Bear lookin for answers before I thought better of it & returned home to find the game in progress. :squint: Where'd ya get those Peepers?...

Last edited:

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=29181

TSN had no NHL game scheduled for broadcast on Dec 20th. TSN2 did, and they joined it in progress. So one JIP on the secondary network makes them "notorious"? Strange definition you have there.

Right.. TSN 2 is not aprt of TSN and did not purchase the license to the game of the Bruins vs Ducks ... :shakehead

TSN paid for the game. They had scheduled it to be broadcasted. They didn't join the broadcast until late in the 3rd period. Now if you want to delve further into the story, the NHL recieved a glut of calls from angered fans prior to the game as it was made known it would not be shown. The NHL requested TSN to release their 'rights' for the game so people who owned the Centre Ice package could view the game. TSN agreed to the request.

TSN had taken a scenario where other sporting events took a higher priority than an NHL game. It isn't a unique scenario. Granted, it doesn't happen all the time. My point was that the CBC for their franchise of HNIC has no other priority that would interfere with this National broadcast, Whereas TSN would and has found scenarios in which it would take a back seat. This is a "Selling feature" for the CBC in their offer for a national broadcasting deal. It is a simple statement... I see no rational in exploding the issue.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Everyone is missing the point. The CBC is a taxpayer funded operation. The purpose of the CBC isn't to beat rival broadcasters that have recently shown up.The purpose of the CBC is to show what Canadians want to see that would never survive on a private broadcasting channel.

Im not missing the point nor your points & fully agree as do many posting here J93. I dont think the CBC has any right whatsoever to be paying outlandish sums to the NHL for broadcast rights competing against private interests when that money could be used in so many other positive areas such as supporting independent film makers & producers, artists & musicians across the country. You'd best be investing in a satellite system for the cottage.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Im not missing the point nor your points & fully agree as do many posting here J93. I dont think the CBC has any right whatsoever to be paying outlandish sums to the NHL for broadcast rights competing against private interests when that money could be used in so many other positive areas such as supporting independent film makers & producers, artists & musicians across the country. You'd best be investing in a satellite system for the cottage.

Already done. I gotta admit it did feel pretty 'Canadian' to be playing with the rabbit-ears to get the CBC to come in better so we could watch the CFL or NHL on the CBC.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
CBC didn't show the NHL Awards live on all their channels and thanks to them and TSN I found out that Henrik Sedin won halfway through the broadcast on the tv. Who do I blame for that? I blame TSN.

TSN is notorious for pre-empting sporting events. I remember a few years ago they showed a tape-delayed nascar race instead of the labour day classic between the roughriders and blue bombers. Their email crashed from all the complaints. The only time CBC does this is if their first game goes into OT but majority of us in this country have more than 1 CBC channel now.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
CBC didn't show the NHL Awards live on all their channels and thanks to them and TSN I found out that Henrik Sedin won halfway through the broadcast on the tv. Who do I blame for that? I blame TSN.

You should be thankful. The NHL awards show is painful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad