CBC’s sports operations dwindle toward extinction

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Already done. I gotta admit it did feel pretty 'Canadian' to be playing with the rabbit-ears to get the CBC to come in better so we could watch the CFL or NHL on the CBC.

I Diggit. Sippin on an Ex, Golden or Blue in a stubby while doing so of course, while Ward Cornell takes leave to introduce Murray Westgate & a commercial from Imperial Oil & Your Esso Dealers... Got my Dish from Seti when they decommissioned them. Picks up some pretty strange stuff. :)

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I Diggit. Sippin on an Ex, Golden or Blue in a stubby while doing so of course, while Ward Cornell takes leave to introduce Murray Westgate & a commercial from Imperial Oil & Your Esso Dealers... Got my Dish from Seti when they decommissioned them. Picks up some pretty strange stuff. :)

No doubt, SETI picks up possible multiple universe......

*Bzzt*

"Coyotes fans today complained about their team, "For Crying out loud, we are the highest grossing, most financially successful team in the NHL, since they came from Toronto. we sell out every night, and for what? No Cup in since we arrived here 20 years ago! Brian Burke needs to GO!"

*bzzt*

As far as the CBC, I guess I'm seeing a lot of other "traditions/institutions" biting the dust the past few years-its the younger generation's turn, and they don't have use for publically funded AND commerical laden CBC.

I STILL miss "The Raccoons" ;)

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Im not missing the point nor your points & fully agree as do many posting here J93. I dont think the CBC has any right whatsoever to be paying outlandish sums to the NHL for broadcast rights competing against private interests when that money could be used in so many other positive areas such as supporting independent film makers & producers, artists & musicians across the country. You'd best be investing in a satellite system for the cottage.

The business aspect of this eludes you.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The business aspect of this eludes you.

Actually no Gavin, it doesnt. As someone who makes a living in both the arts & sports, I can assure you Ive had to pay close attention to this debate over the CBC for what now, nearly 25yrs?. Ive attended CRTC hearings. Read the business plans & justifications from CBC's Manadarins in the Sports & Business Development Departments. I simply dont agree with a public broadcaster using taxpayer dollars to pay for broadcast rights for pro-sports period. Ive heard the arguments about "all the money HNIC brings us which permits the funding of new series, news etc..." & at one time bought into & supported it wholeheartedly. But over the past decade, why, the world has changed so much, and I think it behooves the CBC to move right along with it. And yes, it is a very very sad thing to have to contemplate.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Do they actually own the rights to the name?. Registered & copywrited?. That'd be a real beaut if they didnt. They really blew it but good with the theme song. :shakehead

Can't tell.
This said...
La soirée du hockey became... La soirée du hockey when it moved from SRC to RDS.

So one would guess there's no problem, but hey... I'm not a lawyer anymore.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Can't tell.
This said...
La soirée du hockey became... La soirée du hockey when it moved from SRC to RDS.

So one would guess there's no problem, but hey... I'm not a lawyer anymore.

From Wikipedia...

Despite the rumours, it always seemed that CTV was unlikely to be interested in the nightly playoff coverage currently provided by the CBC, since weeknight games in April and May would conflict with new episodes of CTV's slate of American programming. As well, Hockey Night in Canada could not be used as the name is owned by CBC, unless CTVglobemedia paid royalties to CBC for use of the name

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
Yup. Right in line with everything else they do:

Phase 1: let all the other networks eat our lunch.

Phase 3: HNIC is a Canadian institution that we're fortunate enough to still have. Alls well that ends well ;) ...Give us money.

They remind me of this idiot I used to work with before he got fired. I watched this dunce throw a bunch of wood and garbage and junk into a burn barrel, dump a bunch of gas in it, take his lighter out of his pocket, lean his entire torso into the bin and let it rip. The only reason this guy didn't get fired sooner than he did was because his Uncle worked for us...that and his stupidity was entertaining for a while.

Just like my old buddy Zack, this company's alive by default or because god has a weird sense of humor; except I'm not laughing anymore.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This company's alive by default or because god has a weird sense of humor; except I'm not laughing anymore.

"If God lives inside us like everybody says, I sure hope he likes enchiladas, because thats what he's getting"...
Jack Handey :)

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Maybe you should have reminded them of that policy when they pre-empted the All-Star game for curling coverage a few weeks ago.

They'll be SOL anyway once digital broadcasting takes over. They'll have to upgrade to a HD digital receiver and antenna regardless, so they'll most likely not be affected at all by a move to CTV. And quite frankly, speaking as someone who still uses an antenna in central Toronto, I get two dozen Canadian channels (and half a dozen US stations before they went digital), but not the CBC. That's not good bang for my tax buck.

The CBC long outlasted its usefulness. It no longer serves a purpose. It has no more Canadian content than CTV, it doesn't provide any programming that can't be found on private Canadian networks, and has the most blatantly biased news cast of any of the major Canadian broadcasters. When they needed a documentary on Canadian troops in Afghanistan, they bought it from the U.S. When you can't make ends meet with a one billion dollar head start, it's time to pack it in.

CTV has become the true Canadian network over the last twenty years. They've outdone CBC with Olympic coverage all the way back to Lillehammer. Their Canadian content shows are superior and get picked up in the States and around the world (Degrassi, Flashpoint, Corner Gas, The Listener, etc) and all for not a penny of my tax dollars. As we saw with the HNIC theme, the nostalgia wears off really quickly and not having HNIC on the CBC is nothing Canadians won't be able to deal with. IMHO CTV can't get HNIC soon enough.
Again you can say the same with the CFL and its affirmative action rules.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
It would be bad for CBC to lose HNIC, at least. Especially if it means those games going to a PAY TV channel. I wish we had a weekly national over the air game in the US for the entire season, including playoff games in EVERY round. The fans of the game that don't subscribe to pay TV in the US were, of course, tossed aside by the NHL decades ago.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm jumping into this thread late, but, I wanted to raise a point about the often-repeated line that HNiC is a financial success for the CBC. This has never really been proven, as CBC hasn't (and likely won't for competitive reasons) ever disclosed what their revenues and costs are associated with the NHL.

But, I know you haven't heard CBC talk about profitability that much since they went to their new contract. That's when the price jumped up from about $60-65M a season for rights to a rumoured $90M a season.

Currently, the CBC only makes $309M a season in advertising revenues across all of lines of business (as per their most recent financials). I've always had a tough time buying that as much as people watch HNIC, that it can generate one out of every three dollars of revenue for the channel.

I get even further suspicious about that claim when you see their revenues by year, and that they actually didn't drop at all during the lockout year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad