CBC’s sports operations dwindle toward extinction

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by TMC1982, Feb 7, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. TMC1982

TMC1982 Registered User

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ons-dwindle-toward-extinction/article1896588/

2. Brodie

Brodie Marxist-Harbaughist

It's just like American programming back in the day, CBC doesn't have the funding to keep up and they shouldn't try. As long as they can keep HNIC, it doesn't really matter... and I'm sure the NHL wouldn't allow that to die, even if it means splitting their Canadian broadcast TV contract.

MLS was a good option for CBC. With two more Canadian teams joining the league, they could easily come up with some sort of "Soccer Day in Canada" package for the summer.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  3. Jamin

Jamin Registered User

Good I hate when an oilers game is on cbc. Tsn does it better and doesnt need tax payer money

4. AllByDesign

AllByDesign Who's this ABD guy??

Finance.
    It is estimated that HNIC and the National are the CBC's only profit generating programming. If that is indeed the case, HNIC would not be costing taxpayers anything.

Edit:
    I cannot find any figures to back up this claim of profitability for the HNIC franchise... of course it is of much debate and speculation...

5. Stats01

Stats01 Registered User

How is it wasting tax payer money in any case? The CBC hold up the mantra of protecting Canadian culture and values in it's programming. I hate when people ***** and complain about the CBC. CTV and Global are all private corporations with the intention of getting bigger and making money. How can CBC keep up? They don't have the funds!! So why even bother. As long as they keep HNIC and keep doing their best to help promote Canadian culture and values than we should all be happy.

I do believe that CBC are in a transformation. With the conglomeration of media outlets the media spectrum is getting smaller. Big companies are buying up other companies, getting more content expanding their reach. CBC can't do that because it would be going against everything CBC was grown to be. So they have to make good with whatever funds they get. They are cutting programs that are not going well and hopefully can put it into programs that will. But again it's hard when you have an uneven playing field and private corporations can spend spend spend.

As you can see CTV/Globemedia are on a mission to control all sports content in this country..Is it a good thing? Is it a bad thing?

6. Tinalera

Tinalera Registered User

I've been watching the slow (IMO) eroding of the CBC for awhile now. Would it be sad if HNIC on CBC became Hockey Night on TSN(on Sat)-sure it would. But time is marching on, and if the CBC cannot survive, and it will have to evolve or shutter.

Western Culture is changing, the values are changing, and this a part of that I think. I've been saddened to see Newspapers declining, but it's the way forward, as any "older" avenue of Media. Radio? Don't get me started. Its all changing. Media is increasingly becoming an "I want it now or I don't want it" idea, particularly with younger generation, with the media "Narrow-casting"(as opposed to Broadcasting) it's views. CBC is nice, but essentially IMO it needs to evolve to meet these changing dynamics, or it has to say "It's been wonderful, thank you all, but last one shut out the lights before you lock the door.

7. Stats01

Stats01 Registered User

The CBC will never fully go extinct. The government will not do that, it's a Canadian icon. It was born to represent and promote Canadian culture and values. If you get rid of that than what is truly helping promote Canadiana? CTV HAHA a private corporation?? I don't think so.. CBC may dwindle in it's sports programming but it'll be a catrastrophe if CBC totally left..just thinking about it saddens me. And yes the demassification is effecting everything. Newspapers are struggling, but there are pros and cons to everything. Newspapers will not totally disappear IMO because it has a certain authenticity to it, there's nothing more pure than opening up a newspaper to read the news rather than reading it on an IPad. But things are indeed changing.

8. AllByDesign

Finance.
    You miss the Beachcombers too, eh?

9. Kevin Malone

Kevin Malone Registered User

Oh please...

When the CBC was created they had a monopoly on all sports broadcasting in Canada. Canadians were forced to get all of their sports coverage from a government monopoly.

Are you forgetting about the $1 billion dollars a year they receive from the Federal Government.

Canadian Values?? What like Coronation Street a British Soap Opera or playing American blockbusters. The little Canadian content they play is garbage and dismissed by Canadians.

Less than 5 PERCENT of the Canadian population watches the CBC at any given time. If thats not a reason to get rid of it I can think of a billion different ones.

10. Tinalera

Tinalera Registered User

Oh, you know know how to age me, don't you ABD? (And yes, I do-and please, don't mention that "remake" they did a few years ago :laugh:)

It's just been slow and steady, and the CBC is trying to survive (by bringing foreign programming), but that's not quite the same. Because if people want to watch the American shows, they'll watch it on their American stations.

The CBC a Canadian "Institution"-what does that mean anymore? There's a certain generation (or two) of Canadians who may subscribe to this, but having a couple of kids in the "Y" generation-I get some access to their peers, and CBC isn't even on their radar for the most of them-it's (and I quote from one particular young man) "the fogey channel"(Those aren't my words- they are his). Another one, a little more astute honestly asked me "Why does the CBC have commercials when they get their money from the government?"

I honestly didn't what to tell him, I think in part of my shock that he had such media savvy for such a young age.

Out of the mouths of babes.....

11. RECCE

RECCE The Dog House

12. CorbeauNoir

CorbeauNoir Registered User

13. Meatwad

Meatwad Registered User

No private company showed up to bring radio and telivision across the country and build the radio towers all around Canada for free did they? No I didn't think so. Many Canadians were raised on the CBC and still are in rural areas because no private company wants to throw money where theres no profit. Profit is not the objective of the CBC.

I think all the major media corporations should be broken up. The monopolies are getting too big and are starting to run rampant and there should be a law against foreign ownership once broken. The bigger the providers and media organizations get the more they scheme together on making things once free to be paid for and the less they compete with eachother.

14. Brodie

Brodie Marxist-Harbaughist

CBC receives under $1 billion a year. Just for the sake of comparison, considering their similar mandate, the BBC receives $5 billion in government funds. The CBC's federal funding puts it on par with the amount received by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation and RTE in Ireland, so it's not like CBC has an institutional advantage by getting government funds. CTV has revenues of $2.2 billion while Canwest Global posted $2.8 billion at last check.

Oh yes, the 4 or 5 imported shows CBC airs and the movies that take up a grand total of 3 hours of air time a day. Compare how much Canadian content they produce to Global, who had a grand total of one Canadian show on their primetime lineup last fall.

Most Canadians dismiss 90% of all Canadian content on any channel, so your latter point is hardly surprising.

15. kdb209

kdb209 Registered User

That was also what initially drove the funding of PBS/NPR in the US - to provide service to rural areas which were under served by commercial stations.

Some small rural PBS stations still receive the majority of their funding from the gov't through the CPB (Corporation for Public Broadcasting). Big city PBS/NPR stations receive less than 10% of their budget from gov't funding (San Francisco's KQED receives ~8%) - with the rest coming from member pledges, charitable foundations, and corporate underwriting.

I wonder if a PBS/NPR model could work in Canada - we interrupt the third period for pledge break ... .

And of you pledge at the $12/mo level you will receive a tote bag and this exclusive CBC Snuggie.

16. Killion

Killion Registered User

I'll back you on that ABD. The National & HNIC are in fact the only 2 "profit centers", and thats only if you consider spending 99 cents out of a dollar to make a penny over 10yrs. Their programming beyond news & HN is almost irrelevant unfortunately, and that'll anger many in the film & TV production side Im sure, but its a fact. The CBC is a lugubrious dinosaur that should go completely public like PBS, TVO, BC's Knowledge Network etc & stick to highbrow, middle & low brow or whatever the people want who "subscribe" directly. The morons couldnt even hold onto their theme song, and dont get me started on McClean & Cherry. I fear this thread may be my undoing. :naughty::laugh:

Relics'. I miss the Friendly Giant & Forest Rangers. :cry:

17. Inkling

Inkling Same Old Hockey

CBC's advantage is that they are still willing to devote virtually all of their primetime schedule to the NHL during playoff time. CTV is not likely to do that since they mostly exist to rebroadcast US TV shows that they have purchased the rights for.

TSN can do that of course, but they still are not in the same number of households as CBC or CTV. For the NHL, having an over-the-air broadcaster willing to do what CBC is willing to do is pretty valuable.

18. AllByDesign

Finance.
    Hey Killion, before you go off on the CBC for the quality of it's programming, you should give that Republic of Doyle a chance. It comes on after Dragon's Den and I have found it quite entertaining. It started by accident when I couldn't find the remote one Wednesday evening. As the-only thing that trumps my inability to overcome procrastination is a lazy streak that would make pot smokers blush. My laziness paid off as I found the show to have many redeeming qualities.

19. Devonator

Devonator Registered User

Accounting
    I loathe the CBC and resent my taxes having to pay for their appalling shows...that being said, the only good thing on that network is HNIC...that would be a shame to see that end...as for ending the CBC otherwise, I am all for it!!

20. finchster

finchster Registered User

Wasn't there a royal commission a few years back that stated CBC should get out of professional sports?

21. Killion

Killion Registered User

There comedy programming is legendary. No arguments their. Their dramas' & family oriented programming is uniquely Canadian & I appreciate most of it, even made/make a few bucks off The Old Mother, but c'mon, enoughs enuff. Its like owning a vintage yacht. Just a hole in the water where all the money goes. And, well, that just kinda makes me cry.

Loathe's a pretty strong adjective there Devonator. Ive' actually heard it used on numerous occassions by people who actually work for the MotherCorp sooo, guess yer not alone.

Indeed their was. Rather than spending the hundreds of millions on HNIC or sports period they should be spending it on comedy, drama, movies, independent film production & music, news & childrens programming. Leave the sports & the bidding wars to private & publicly traded interests like Rogers & TSN, Global & CTV, and my favorite, CHCH TV 11 in HAMILTON. :naughty:

22. wjhl2009fan

wjhl2009fan Registered User

There are some that don't think cbc should be in sports at all be it pro or high end youth.Nothing would make some happy if cbc did drop all sports and used the money and created more orginal programing.I am not sure if i would say there on uneven playing field they do have a $1 billion dollars plus they get a fair amount from selling ads etc.

23. King Woodballs

King Woodballs Captain Awesome

all CBC has is HNIC and I hope they lose it
    I am tired of the crappy announcers and color idiots

24. wjhl2009fan

wjhl2009fan Registered User

I could cbc turning into something like pbs no sports no sitcoms etc just a basic channel that does not cost much to keep up.

25. achtungbaby

achtungbaby Registered User

Bring back Relic!