Recalled/Assigned: Cayden Primeau, Matthew Peca recalled

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Primeau just doesn’t seem to be a permanent solution right now. I did hear someone say that maybe they’re hoping Kincaid finds his game again in Laval and comes back? Other than that, this is very puzzling.
Primeau hasn’t really been struggling lately either. The team has been up and down because of all the injuries and call ups. The losses were definitely not on him.

Not sure what all the fuss is about. Not hurting anyone by flip flopping for now. See what the kid is made of while Kincaid can improve, lol, in Laval.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I remember just a few short years ago the common perception was that Montreal was making their prospects rot in the AHL. HFB always wanting them to play in the NHL over veterans. Times have changed; and they will change back again; just because.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I remember just a few short years ago the common perception was that Montreal was making their prospects rot in the AHL. HFB always wanting them to play in the NHL over veterans. Times have changed; and they will change back again; just because.

Which top prospect rotted in AHL under Bergevin?

Reactions: montreal

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I've talked to a few people and here is my take on the situation. Most of you are concentrating on Primeau, when I think this is more directed towards Kinkaid. He is way off his game, the only way to get it back is to play him a lot. Which would never happen in Montreal.

My understanding is, this is only a short term thing. Kinkaid is going down to play, and play a lot. Which means the 2nd goalie in Laval would be riding the pine. Personally it makes more sense to bring Primeau up, allow him to play a game or two, while practicing with the big club. Then to leave him in Laval as a back up to Kinkaid. If this was a permanent promotion, I'd agree that he's being rushed. But since my understanding is this will only last a week or two. I highly doubt this is going to destroy Primeau's confidence.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006

Everything is not black or white, there's a whole lot of stuff I'm between rushing players and letting them rot. I

not saying Primeau is being rushed, it's yet to be seen, but so far under Bergevin there's been a few exemples of players being rushed and impacting negatively their career and it's a legitimate concern.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Our franchise has just recalled a goaltender tender who has just settled in as a pro in the AHL.. trade Price now! We owe him nothing IMO. This my friends? Is un f***ing unbelievable.

Reactions: CDN24 and ItzaGreat

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
You must really miss that Weise-Thompson-Deslauriers line that Claude was so looking forward to putting together - ya know, the one that lasted 2 games because they didn't have the puck on their sticks for more than 30 seconds during those 2 games combined.

Dont see McCarron in that line. So really, not sure what your point is.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Wasn’t backup goalie an issue in recent seasons?

Comforting to know that the solution to our problem passed waivers.

He was so highly touted that several teams froze out of the fear that some other team might claim him and everyone ended up over-thinking everyone else and he didn't get claimed.

Cousins and Weal might cause similar hysteria if waived. The excitement would be palbable.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Jul 6, 2016
One thing is sure: both Kinkaid and Lindgren are pissed off !

Was Primeau called up because he doesn't have to go thru waivers when he's going to be sent down to Laval ? While Lindgren would have had to go through ?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
One thing is sure: both Kinkaid and Lindgren are pissed off !

Was Primeau called up because he doesn't have to go thru waivers when he's going to be sent down to Laval ? While Lindgren would have had to go through ?

No. His numbers are better and by all accounts he's played better.

Reactions: CDN24

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Dont see McCarron in that line. So really, not sure what your point is.

McCarron isn't as good as Thompson or Deslauriers. And they didn't do so well. That's the point.

Haven't seen Weise enough lately to know who's better between the two. The AHL numbers don't show much separation: Weise 5 points in 19 games, and McCarron 6 points in 18 games.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
I think McCarron is definitely better than Deslauriers and if we're giving last chances to a bunch of smurfs we may as well see what we have left in a first rounder with size that we could use and definitely need.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The term on the Kulak deal was strange but to be completely fair, he was really good last year. If he were playing like he was last year, we'd all be happy with the contract.

The other ones were completely ridiculous though.

and that's fine but it's risky to give him 3 years based off what half a good season or so. He was good in Laval as well but my point is more that they didn't need to do it, just sign him to the one year deal and if he has an even better year then it's going to cost you more but then the player is happy because he gets more money and they still could have given him a short term contract as he would still be an RFA so unless he has a really good year and holds out he's going to sign it most likely as long as the money is right.

It's simple though, you sign him and he plays well, you look smart, you sign to 3 years and he struggles and you look stupid and fans bring up Alzner and shake there head and say we need to be better.

A few games isn't going to ruin anything.

Except none of us can know that, only that our luck with these moves has not been good these past few years. McCarron was crushing it in his rookie year in the AHL at almost a ppg, gets called up for a few games and NEVER has looked as good. I know people will just say it's because he sucks but he certainly wasn't sucking to start his AHL career. It's impossible for any of us to know what goes in a players head and how things impact their confidence, which imo confidence is a huge thing as the mental part of the game is much bigger then many around here admit to or understand imo.

He clears! He clears! Oh my god we are so lucky!!!! lol Did some people thought he'd be claimed?

some thought the leafs would take him but I don't know how they could fit him under the cap without making another move.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
No. His numbers are better and by all accounts he's played better.

he played much better then Lindgren in the first 7 games but in the last 5 he's given up 19 goals and that's with a SO in one of those games. Lindgren has been the better goalie of late, which is why it seems such an odd thing to do, calling up Lindgren just makes so much sense while calling up Primeau after he just gave up 10 goals in his last 2 starts (5 in each) just seems like a terrible idea to me.

That said he's been pretty sick at times in Laval and was outstanding in the NCAA.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
he played much better then Lindgren in the first 7 games but in the last 5 he's given up 19 goals and that's with a SO in one of those games. Lindgren has been the better goalie of late, which is why it seems such an odd thing to do, calling up Lindgren just makes so much sense while calling up Primeau after he just gave up 10 goals in his last 2 starts (5 in each) just seems like a terrible idea to me.

That said he's been pretty sick at times in Laval and was outstanding in the NCAA.

I'm guessing there were some bad goals and/or nothing spectacular in his play in this recent stretch?

Sometimesa goalie can give up 5 goals and play well, if the team isn't playing well in front of him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm guessing there were some bad goals and/or nothing spectacular in his play in this recent stretch?

Sometimesa goalie can give up 5 goals and play well, if the team isn't playing well in front of him.

not really, I can only think of a very small amount of bad goals he's given up all year, like 2 or 3 off the top of my head. That said you can't give up 4, 5, and 5 in 3 games in a row. It's not like the defense is a tire fire though they had one of their worst games of the season the previous game as they gave up a rare ton of shots as Laval is among the best teams in the AHL in shots against.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Lindgren has been the better goalie of late, which is why it seems such an odd thing to do, calling up Lindgren just makes so much sense while calling up Primeau after he just gave up 10 goals in his last 2 starts (5 in each) just seems like a terrible idea to me.
Ideally, Primeau plays as much as possible in the A, Lindgren OTOH is expendable and would likely pass through waivers.
If we are serious about grooming Primeau as the next starter he should play a full season in the A before getting the yo-yo treatment.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I've talked to a few people and here is my take on the situation. Most of you are concentrating on Primeau, when I think this is more directed towards Kinkaid. He is way off his game, the only way to get it back is to play him a lot. Which would never happen in Montreal.

My understanding is, this is only a short term thing. Kinkaid is going down to play, and play a lot. Which means the 2nd goalie in Laval would be riding the pine. Personally it makes more sense to bring Primeau up, allow him to play a game or two, while practicing with the big club. Then to leave him in Laval as a back up to Kinkaid. If this was a permanent promotion, I'd agree that he's being rushed. But since my understanding is this will only last a week or two. I highly doubt this is going to destroy Primeau's confidence.

The mental game is critical for goalies. More than any other position in hockey. It may not hurt his confidence but it could and that's not a gamble you should take with your only real viable goalie prospect in the system.

It doesn't mean it will ruin him but playing behind a shoddy NHL defense that even Price can't keep treading water, which just incurred another injury. But it could set him back trying to rediscover his confidence if they hang him out to dry. It's also not like his last few AHL performances were great.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Well damn. No pressure kid. Ship's sinking and all, no sweat. Pricer takes NYI so you get the NHL feel back a bit, then MacKinnon and Rantanen are in town and you're in.

:sarcasm: ???

Well, no :sarcasm: it is then. Serious stuff from when @waffledave broke the news on page 10, on Monday.

If Danault's line keeps it real close with MacKinnon's line in terms of D coverage anything is possible. I think there's a bigger chance that they don't, and that MacKinnon has an open bar with Primeau.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad