Recalled/Assigned: Cayden Primeau, Matthew Peca recalled

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
and that's fine but it's risky to give him 3 years based off what half a good season or so. He was good in Laval as well but my point is more that they didn't need to do it, just sign him to the one year deal and if he has an even better year then it's going to cost you more but then the player is happy because he gets more money and they still could have given him a short term contract as he would still be an RFA so unless he has a really good year and holds out he's going to sign it most likely as long as the money is right.

It's simple though, you sign him and he plays well, you look smart, you sign to 3 years and he struggles and you look stupid and fans bring up Alzner and shake there head and say we need to be better.

Except none of us can know that, only that our luck with these moves has not been good these past few years. McCarron was crushing it in his rookie year in the AHL at almost a ppg, gets called up for a few games and NEVER has looked as good. I know people will just say it's because he sucks but he certainly wasn't sucking to start his AHL career. It's impossible for any of us to know what goes in a players head and how things impact their confidence, which imo confidence is a huge thing as the mental part of the game is much bigger then many around here admit to or understand imo.

some thought the leafs would take him but I don't know how they could fit him under the cap without making another move.
Fair enough. I don't see a problem with the Kulak contract in and of itself. It'll never be an anchor of a contract by itself at 1.8M. The real problem is that we have 3 of these type of guys when 1 would have sufficed.

Not sure if you've been watching the habs lately but he's been paired with Petry again and has looked really good again. Why the coach ever split them up I'm not sure but it's working really well right now.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
The mental game is critical for goalies. More than any other position in hockey. It may not hurt his confidence but it could and that's not a gamble you should take with your only real viable goalie prospect in the system.

It doesn't mean it will ruin him but playing behind a shoddy NHL defense that even Price can't keep treading water, which just incurred another injury. But it could set him back trying to rediscover his confidence if they hang him out to dry. It's also not like his last few AHL performances were great.

When it comes to goalie matters. You're one of the voices of reason that I listen too. It's definitely possible that he plays tonight, gets his ass handed too him. Never to be heard from again. Or to be less dramatic, throws him off mentally, so he's never able to fully reach his potential. It's also possible that does well, gains a great deal of experience facing NHL shooters, while experiencing the NHL environment. A lot of it depends on the individual. From what I've heard, maturity wise, Primeau is a strong, mature individual. It also helps that he spent a lot of his young life around the NHL through his father.

Personally I looked at the options put in front of me. I'm not a huge Bergevin supporter by any means. But in this situation, with Kinkaid needing playing time (I haven't checked to see how many starts Kinkaid has gotten since he's been sent down) It just made more sense to have Primeau up backing up Price. While working with Waite, then it would to have him be a back up to Kinkaid while remaining in Laval. Unless you wanted to demote Primeau, while Kinkaid is the starter in Laval.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Fair enough. I don't see a problem with the Kulak contract in and of itself. It'll never be an anchor of a contract by itself at 1.8M. The real problem is that we have 3 of these type of guys when 1 would have sufficed.

Not sure if you've been watching the habs lately but he's been paired with Petry again and has looked really good again. Why the coach ever split them up I'm not sure but it's working really well right now.

I see this way too much when talking about Bergevin's decisions. It's often "well the contract isn't so bad, it's not a huge cap hit, we can easily bury it in the AHL, etc..." I really hate praising a contract for being "not a big deal" if it turns out bad. I like Kulak but he hasn't been anything special at all, and someone who we should be looking to replace.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I haven't but planning on watching tonight's game in a few mins. It's good news if he does play well, his contract won't impact us if he busts but just seemed unnecessary to me but like I said if it works out then kudos to the pro scouts and management.

Habsfan2992

One of the 1st
May 12, 2004
Oakville
I think they're playing him tonight because if price plays and loses it'll shatter his confidence so they'll play him against an easier team in NY with Hope's he wins that..BUT ...IF Primeau does shine and wins against the Avs and Price loses against NY .. Habs fans will all be anti Price.. book it!

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I ****ING HATE THIS MANAGEMENT! How can you be so ****ing bad at your job, even stupid people get things right now and then. They continue to call these kids up at the wrong time. Poehling gets benched in a game for making a brutal turnover that leads to a goal and a few days later he gets called up. Who the **** calls up a 20 year old rookie when he's struggling in the AHL. If he's struggling in a easier league, how the **** do you think it's just going to magically click in the toughest league in the world.

Primeau has let in 10 goals in his last 2 starts, 14 in his last 3 and 19 in his last 5 after letting in just 12 in his first 7 games. He's clearly not doing anywhere near as well, so their answer is to make it much tougher on him, that's how you develop your top prospects?

Some say it's no big deal, when the **** has it worked, when have they rushed a kid to the NHL and not been bitten by it.

Repeat after me: development doesn't exist.

It's like serenity now, only better.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Peca should go down, and they should recall two fresh forwards. Who's hottest in Laval?

Primeau did well after the first. I'm excited to see him have an easier opponent than the avs...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They should’ve called up Lindgren. Getting shelled by an elite while playing for a team trying to figure out their D, isn’t ideal for a 20 y.o goalie who’s never played an NHL game.

Incredibly dumb move.

letting in 3 goals isn't getting shelled.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Never talked about the number of goals scored against. 35 shots is shelled.

Fair enough. I wouldn't call last night an offensive shelling by Colorado. I would go more by scoring chances than shots on goal. Their first 2 goals weren't even good scoring chances. Primeau settled in nicely after those. He even got a piece of the 3rd goal that he had virtually no chance on, and shut the door after that.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Fair enough. I wouldn't call last night an offensive shelling by Colorado. I would go more by scoring chances than shots on goal. Their first 2 goals weren't even good scoring chances. Primeau settled in nicely after those. He even got a piece of the 3rd goal that he had virtually no chance on, and shut the door after that.

i have little doubt Primeau will be a player. I’m saying this wasn’t the game to throw him to the wolves. NYR tonight was a far better game to play or better yet, Lindgren until Primeau has time to play more than a handful of pro games.

Reactions: montreal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
i have little doubt Primeau will be a player. I’m saying this wasn’t the game to throw him to the wolves. NYR tonight was a far better game to play or better yet, Lindgren until Primeau has time to play more than a handful of pro games.

Again fair enough. So far the experiment hasn't turned out bad.

My main hope is, they don't keep him up here without playing much. If they put him in and he lets in a ton of goals, then they can send him back. If they keep him up here because he's the 2nd best goalie in the organization, but use him like they used Kinkaid, that will hurt his development.

fyi, Price played 41 games with the big club as a 20 year old, after having played 12 AHL games (plus 22 playoff games - so yes, not exactly the same story).

I'm willing to take it day by day with this experiment.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Again fair enough. So far the experiment hasn't turned out bad.

My main hope is, they don't keep him up here without playing much. If they put him in and he lets in a ton of goals, then they can send him back. If they keep him up here because he's the 2nd best goalie in the organization, but use him like they used Kinkaid, that will hurt his development.

fyi, Price played 41 games with the big club as a 20 year old, after having played 12 AHL games (plus 22 playoff games - so yes, not exactly the same story).

I'm willing to take it day by day with this experiment.
Price was a phenom coming up after winning Gold at world junior and Calder cup. Slightly different than Primeau’s pedigree. ;)

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Price was a phenom coming up after winning Gold at world junior and Calder cup. Slightly different than Primeau’s pedigree. ;)

It's crazy to think with that an under 21 goalie can top WJC Silver and a Richter award as a sophomore, but there Carey Price is with his 96% svpct in the WJC and an AHL championship.

I just hope Price can help the kid adjust to the game despite his down year.

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

callmek2

Go Habs Go!
Oct 5, 2011
If Lindgren had been called up, would he have to go through waivers to go back. If so, could that have been the reason Primeau was called up instead?

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Jul 6, 2016
I think the youth movement has begun......Primeau is staying up imo.

That's a very bad move if he stays longer than a couple of weeks. Like it was a bad decision to keep KK last season.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
When it comes to goalie matters. You're one of the voices of reason that I listen too. It's definitely possible that he plays tonight, gets his ass handed too him. Never to be heard from again. Or to be less dramatic, throws him off mentally, so he's never able to fully reach his potential. It's also possible that does well, gains a great deal of experience facing NHL shooters, while experiencing the NHL environment. A lot of it depends on the individual. From what I've heard, maturity wise, Primeau is a strong, mature individual. It also helps that he spent a lot of his young life around the NHL through his father.

Personally I looked at the options put in front of me. I'm not a huge Bergevin supporter by any means. But in this situation, with Kinkaid needing playing time (I haven't checked to see how many starts Kinkaid has gotten since he's been sent down) It just made more sense to have Primeau up backing up Price. While working with Waite, then it would to have him be a back up to Kinkaid while remaining in Laval. Unless you wanted to demote Primeau, while Kinkaid is the starter in Laval.

Yeah, I don't worry too much about potentially "throwing Primeau to the wolves". I think being mentally strong is pretty much a prerequisite to being a successful goaltender, so even if he gets lit up, he should have the ability to recover from it, if he is going to have a noteworthy nhl career.

The habs did a similar thing with vokoun. They brought him up behind a shoddy defense. It was in Philly, which is always a tough place to play, but this was also leigon of doom era in Philly, where they beat teams like Montreal badly physically, and on the scoreboard.

Anyways, vokoun allows 4 goals in the first period, gets pulled, and doesn't play again until a couple seasons later with expansion Nashville.

This experience must have played mind games with him, but he recovered mentally (which all aspiring nhl goalies must inherently be able to do), and went on to have a long, and solid NHL career.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't worry too much about potentially "throwing Primeau to the wolves". I think being mentally strong is pretty much a prerequisite to being a successful goaltender, so even if he gets lit up, he should have the ability to recover from it, if he is going to have a noteworthy nhl career.

The habs did a similar thing with vokoun. They brought him up behind a shoddy defense. It was in Philly, which is always a tough place to play, but this was also leigon of doom era in Philly, where they beat teams like Montreal badly physically, and on the scoreboard.

Anyways, vokoun allows 4 goals in the first period, gets pulled, and doesn't play again until a couple seasons later with expansion Nashville.

This experience must have played mind games with him, but he recovered mentally (which all aspiring nhl goalies must inherently be able to do), and went on to have a long, and solid NHL career.

Wait... what? While I agree mental toughness is part of a goalie's game, it's still not a good idea to send a 20 years old goalie with very little Pro experience behind one of the worst D in the league against one of the best offensive team in the league... especially when there is no need for it and that this goalie is going to face enough adversity in the AHL.

I don't want to throw prospects in there, thinking "oh well if he's good he'll recover one day, if not he did not have it in him". Like, why set them back so they can "recover" instead of nurturing their talents so they "progress" ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad