Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Casey played high school higher a year and half ago...let’s simmer down here. He’s an elite prospect.

Reactions: GellMann

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Nylander's development has been fine, hes 20 years old. I really hope you aren't trying to insinuate that by both of them going to the AHL it stunted their development?
No I was being snarky and forgot to quote the guy saying the Sabres keep rushing prospects

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'd much rather see Berglund at wing than center if the preseason is any indication.

Maybe eventually, but if slotting him in at 2C allows Mittelstadt to be sheltered at 3C, it might be worth for the short term. If Sheary is back for the start of the season, then you could try a Nylander-Mittelstadt-Thompson 3rd line. Keep the kids sheltered, heavy offensive zone starts, and just let them play.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Maybe eventually, but if slotting him in at 2C allows Mittelstadt to be sheltered at 3C, it might be worth for the short term. If Sheary is back for the start of the season, then you could try a Nylander-Mittelstadt-Thompson 3rd line. Keep the kids sheltered, heavy offensive zone starts, and just let them play.
I get it. The options are limited depending on who makes the team, if Reinhart stays at wing as it seems he will. From what I've seen the past couple seasons and this preseason, Berglund is going to get completely caved in if we use him like a ROR-lite, nevermind if we actually use him like ROR. I wish we could just put him on a bottom 6 wing where he belongs.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I have no doubts about that, and despite the fact that I’m ok with some Roch time for him, my thoughts of him as a prospect haven’t changed. Only how ready he is for an important role.
His play against his peers is epic. he just needs a little time before he joins the NHL "peer group" of having man-strength and several years of practice against the best in the world.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

As long as you know that the be worth it part could be a lot of losses as the Crosby’s of the league destroy Berglund. Possibly.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Eh 2C, 3C...wha what's the difference? Either way, CM will have the Ozone starts and Bergy will get Dzone drops. Unless they can put together a responsible 4th line to rely on.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Eh 2C, 3C...wha what's the difference? Either way, CM will have the Ozone starts and Bergy will get Dzone drops. Unless they can put together a responsible 4th line to rely on.
I'd actually be interested in putting together a line with guys like Sobotka and Girgensons that we'd just bury in defensive zone starts.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I'd actually be interested in putting together a line with guys like Sobotka and Girgensons that we'd just bury in defensive zone starts.
This 100% plus PK time. Sobotka could be very valuable in a role like that.

Wilson/Girgensons-Sobotka-Pominville/Baptiste/Ogelvie

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
It just makes sense. If Phil is worth a half a shit he should be able to allow the young talent some opportunities.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
With Botterill guaranteeing a roster spot upon signing last year, Mittelstadt has a longer leash than most prospects his age.

Casey has been largely ineffective through 3 games + preseason. He was -12 (13/1) in shot differential vs the Knights.

Many here were suggesting he should go to Rochester to start the year. These voices are definitely getting stronger.

How much longer is CM’s leash before he heads down the 90?

(Note: my views on CM as a prospect are unchanged, im not saying he’s bad or anything else. He has struggled mightily and am curious at how long it would take before he goes to Rochester if this play continues)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
With Botterill guaranteeing a roster spot upon signing last year, Mittelstadt has a longer leash than most prospects his age.

Casey has been largely ineffective through 3 games + preseason. He was -12 (13/1) in shot differential vs the Knights.

Many here were suggesting he should go to Rochester to start the year. These voices are definitely getting stronger.

How much longer is CM’s leash before he heads down the 90?

(Note: my views on CM as a prospect are unchanged, im not saying he’s bad or anything else. He has struggled mightily and am curious at how long it would take before he goes to Rochester if this play continues)

He hasn't struggled mightily

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
He's learning the NHL level game, it'll take some time to adjust. It's clear he's not willing, or able, to lead offensive attacks yet. He's young, to be expected. But at some point this season, if we don't start to see an acceptable comfort level from him, he should go down. Say December, January time frame IMO.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Idk. He is holding his own defensively. Offensively he doesn’t seem to have the jump to go anywhere with the puck on his stick.

He seems a little slow on how fast guys are checking him. Looking forward to him getting used to the pace of early season vs last few games of the year.

Reactions: joshjull

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He hasn't struggled much at all in these 3 games. He also hasn't seen the ice much. I want to see him get more time.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Can a kid have a slow start without immediately wanting to send him down?

Especially because who is down there to bring up that deserves it? Casey oozes skill, is a very good skater and very creative with the puck. Give him a few weeks to get his legs going underneath him. I also want to see him on the PP1 over Okposo.

Whatever else happens, he needs more ice time plain and simple. Maybe send down Thompson for Nylander, and make a Mitts-ERod-Nylander line.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Idk. He is holding his own defensively. Offensively he doesn’t seem to have the jump to go anywhere with the puck on his stick.

He seems a little slow on how fast guys are checking him. Looking forward to him getting used to the pace of early season vs last few games of the year.

CM got 10min ES, 30sec PPTOI vs the Knights. The Sabres were outshot 13-1 with him on the ice. Yes, there are 4 other players on the ice with him, but a -12 shot differential in 10 minutes of ice time is not good.

I bumped the thread not because I think Casey will, or should, get sent down, but to get a sense of where the board is. There was a loud contingent believing he should go to Rochester to start the year. After three games of largely ineffective play — has anyone started moving the needle either way? Based on the few responses since my bump, the answer is no.

My previous assumptions to those advocating that he does gonto Rochester, would be that Casey needs to struggle for the first few weeks of the season (15+ games) before Botterill even considers sending him down.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I think he’s looked fine. Not great but just fine. No reason to think about sending him down at this point - and I thought he should have been down after preseason, but he has looked much better.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If he is going to play 10 minutes a night it would seem that going to Rochester would be better for his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad