Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If he is going to play 10 minutes a night it would seem that going to Rochester would be better for his development.
Hes not exactly showing much of an offensive threat in that 10 minutes to warrant getting more ice time. Hes also getting hemmed in on his line, not that it's all his fault but I see no chemistry with Thompson and him.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
He's been more unnoticeable than bad, in fact I don't think he's played bad at all. He doesn't look lost defensively which is impressive considering he was playing high school two years ago and still looks 18. We just need to give him time to ease in and get his feet under him, the offense will come.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Vogl Q&A:

Nicholas R.
Is there a scenario where Mittlestadt could end up in Rochester if he goes through a slump? How long might that take? Would they let him just play through it the whole year? Not saying it's going to happen, just wondering.

John Vogl
There is definitely a chance he heads to the Amerks at some point. This preseason did not go well. He's got four home games right off the bat to get in a groove before the Sabres head West (and I'll be out there, too, by the way). We've all seen that young guys have slumps, and I think the Sabres let him work through some. But if they last and last, he sure could head down

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Mitts reminds of a better skating Reinhart as an 18 year old.

He looks like he knows where to go and if he gets the puck he can do some things.

But he constantly looks stunned that he only has a split second to do something before nhl players can close on him.

It would have been nice to ease him in on the wing or at least with a veteran quality player. Hopefully he can play with Skinner some more.

Reactions: TheCerebral1

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Mitts reminds of a better skating Reinhart as an 18 year old.

He looks like he knows where to go and if he gets the puck he can do some things.

But he constantly looks stunned that he only has a split second to do something before nhl players can close on him.

It would have been nice to ease him in on the wing or at least with a veteran quality player. Hopefully he can play with Skinner some more.

I agree with all of this, Asplund plays a much more balanced game and looked twice as good in preseason. At this point I'd say swap the two and let Casey get his mojo rising.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I agree with all of this, Asplund plays a much more balanced game and looked twice as good in preseason. At this point I'd say swap the two and let Casey get his mojo rising.

Asplund has 0 points in the AHL so far.

You can't call him up at this point.

Reactions: Vito_81

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
He will be fine maybe not this year but next he could be whatever most people thought he would look like this year.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

I don’t need Asplund to come up. I’m not sure Casey needs to go down.

I think he will figure it out as the season goes on, assuming his confidence doesn’t crash, which doesn’t appear to be the case.

I think it might be good for them to give him Reinhart, if you really wanted to focus on boosting his production. I think the two of them would mesh well and Reinhart would set him up for a lot of chances.

But he might be well suited to going the wing with Erod, to see the pace required and have some workers clear space.

Girgs Erod Mitts

Or he can slog thru on the 4th line until he starts making things happen.

I just like the underlying parts of his game and I’m not worried in the way I was with Grigorenko or Luke Adam

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I don't see an argument for Mitts going down. He's not playing himself out of the lineup. He's looked stronger each game, and I think the scoring chance are about to start coming. I've like his Dzone play, and I've liked his hustle and battle for loose pucks.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I don't see an argument for Mitts going down. He's not playing himself out of the lineup. He's looked stronger each game, and I think the scoring chance are about to start coming. I've like his Dzone play, and I've liked his hustle and battle for loose pucks.
If that crossbar shot had been a quarter inch lower, no one would be talking about him.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Dahlin played it cautious the first couple games until he got adjusted. Now we can see he is starting to open up the offence. Casey will take longer but I think he’ll get there. As long as he continues to progress there’s no reason to send him down.

He doesn’t exactly have much to work with on the wings (unless he stays with skinner). We are basically asking him to carry a line already. No wonder he’s not got the hot start.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Mitts isnt going down. There simply is not a better player to replace him. Rasmus Asplund is not ready.

I would however replace TT with Nylander. I would like to see Casey put on the top line with Jack and Sam to get him going.

Reactions: Mitts888

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
They forced their hand by trading ROR with no options to replace him besides Casey a few guys who qualify for retirement.
Skinner-Berglund was carrying play in a way that no scoring line has over the past 3+ seasons, so naturally we had to break that up so two awful defensive forwards could play together.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Skinner-Berglund was carrying play in a way that no scoring line has over the past 3+ seasons, so naturally we had to break that up so two awful defensive forwards could play together.
Did you watch the games or did the spreadsheet tell you this? I def didn't notice them being any more than average together.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
It's a shame, really. I wonder how much of this is actually Botts pushing Housley to try jump start Mittelstadt. And on top of that, what about that St. Louis line? Is Housley/Botts trying to be cute as if to say to fans "hey man look at this entire line we got for the price of one Ryan O'Reilly". Please blow up that abomination and never put it back together.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Did you watch the games or did the spreadsheet tell you this? I def didn't notice them being any more than average together.

They did, in theory, their job. Berglund slowed down the other team. Skinner freelanced and was dangerous enough to make the other team cautious.

Without another top 6 right wing, they were pretty decent as a pair.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I dunno.

Skinner-Mitts-Okposo was the only line that threatened Vegas at all 5v5 last night.
They had some chances, sure, but weren’t particularly impressive. Maybe I’d have more patience for that unit if Okposo didn’t compound the whole situation (despite the GBU I thought he put up another stinker), but I’m just not seeing the chemistry.

Skinner and Mittelstadt should each have their own lines, and if they build some chemistry on PP2 or a random shift or three, we can revisit from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->