Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Good article.

I think this was my favorite part -

Yeah, that is awesome.

You don't see everything going on with social media. From what I've been reading it sounds like Casey works very hard off the ice as well as on it, and Eichel has made a point to travel around and be al leader. It's all very encouraging.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yeah, that is awesome.

You don't see everything going on with social media. From what I've been reading it sounds like Casey works very hard off the ice as well as on it, and Eichel has made a point to travel around and be al leader. It's all very encouraging.

You don’t get those hands without a ton of off ice work.

Gotta respect it, kid spent thousands of hours working on that handle.

Reactions: Fearnot and Dingo44

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Casey Mittelstadt ready to put down roots with Buffalo Sabres - Sportsnet.ca

TORONTO — Casey Mittelstadt is looking forward to finally setting up shop in one place for an extended period of time.If things go well for the Buffalo Sabres prospect, it could very well be as the franchise’s second-line centre on opening night.

Since the beginning of the 2015-16 season, Mittelstadt has crisscrossed the hockey landscape, playing with no fewer than nine teams at various levels and age groups.

Over the last two campaigns, he’s suited up in high school hockey, the USHL, the NCAA at the University of Minnesota and at the world junior championship for the United States before wrapping things up with a six-game Sabres stint to close out 2017-18.

Reactions: Dingo44

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
"But Mittlestadt isn’t a lot of young players. He’s thinking: “attack the middle” and as soon as the puck touches his stick he turns and takes two strides to do that.

He wants to be the one making the play. That’s an incredible quality, and a mentality that can take you far if it’s matched by skill. Mittelstadt has both in spades."

- Scott Wheeler of The Athletic

:thumbu:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
So I was just bored and wanted to look back at Casey's NHL games, see if there were any highlights up. And this is what popped up, put out by the team, only 30 seconds, I'm thinking huh that must be a single play, probably.

Nope. It's 28 seconds of footage, split between 30 cuts. I counted.

Who the f*** is paid to make this? You can't decipher anything that's happening.

Reactions: jc17

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
So I was just bored and wanted to look back at Casey's NHL games, see if there were any highlights up. And this is what popped up, put out by the team, only 30 seconds, I'm thinking huh that must be a single play, probably.

Nope. It's 28 seconds of footage, split between 30 cuts. I counted.

Who the **** is paid to make this? You can't decipher anything that's happening.

Terrible title for that...definitely a hype video instead.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Saw Casey and I think Borgen along with two other guys I didn’t immediately recognize over on Elmwood Ave earlier today. Nice to see the guys out and about taking in what the city has to offer.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Saw Casey and I think Borgen along with two other guys I didn’t immediately recognize over on Elmwood Ave earlier today. Nice to see the guys out and about taking in what the city has to offer.

It's great. Mitts posted something on Instagram showing him driving over the Skyway with Borgen and C. J. Smith the other day, and all the Swedes keep posting stuff together too.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Top NHL rookies: Early Calder Trophy candidates for 2018-19 - Sportsnet.ca

The NHL is a young man’s league these days, where speed and skill rule and the salary cap puts pressure on teams to find affordable talent to complement their highly paid stars.

With training camps open now, we’re starting to get a glimpse of what the next class of rookies who haven’t hit an NHL ice surface yet look like against the world’s best competition. Rookie camps are behind us and the real competition is starting. By the end of this season, some of these names still will not have caught on to the NHL full-time, while others will break on to the scene and become known league-wide.

To be considered a rookie in the NHL, a player must not have played in more than 25 games in any preceding season, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player who is 26 years old as of Sept. 15 is no longer considered a rookie, regardless of games played.

With that said, here are 18 rookies to keep an eye on next season.

Casey Mittelstadt, Buffalo

The 19-year-old’s place in the lineup became a little clearer with the trade of centre Ryan O’Reilly. Mittelstadt scored 30 points in 34 games for the University of Minnesota, led the WJC in scoring with 11 points and had a successful first taste of NHL action at the end of the 2017-18 season, posting five points in six games. Mittelstadt is set up to have a successful rookie season with the Sabres as their second-line centre.

“You’re always excited about Casey’s hockey sense and his skill level,” Sabres GM Jason Botterill told the Buffalo News. “Those are things that we’ve talked a lot about with our group here in Buffalo, improving our team speed and improving our team skill level.”

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
At the moment he should be starting in the AHL.

Not that that's something terrible, but the fact that we were relying on a rookie to step in to our 2C spot this year...

Reactions: Samsonite23

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
At the moment he should be starting in the AHL.

Not that that's something terrible, but the fact that we were relying on a rookie to step in to our 2C spot this year...
It's not like we can't bring him up as soon as his game improves. I'm on board with this as well. Lots of guys earned the spot over him.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
It's not like we can't bring him up as soon as his game improves. I'm on board with this as well. Lots of guys earned the spot over him.
Having him in Rochester as the 1C would actually be really good for his development at this point in time.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Also, no one should be afraid of Mittelstadt starting in Roch. Unlike 2015, where our depth was shit, and key guys literally couldn't miss a game, we actually have some NHL-quality depth now. Based on my viewings, maybe more NHL-quality than I thought too.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Casey has to spend some time on the Amerks - he's not ready. All the skill is there, but his game needs tidying up. Some extra polish and a chip on the shoulder in Rochester would do him well.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Send him to the A. I was very excited for Casey this year and he did not show up prepared. Maybe he figured he was going to be gifted a spot.

Send him down. I doubt he spends a lot of time in Roch.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Casey had a good game but a little time in the AHL won’t hurt especially with the breakthrough play of Thompson and Nylander I am absolutely ok with sending Middlestadt Down with the outstanding play of Nylander and Thompson. I think that’s why Sobotka is playing so much centre and Middlestadt played on the Wing a lot tonight

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I still see a slightly better version of the guy that got easy minutes and lucky bounces in April - a guy who focused on bulking this summer (he needed to do it) and spent less on the ice than he maybe should have, but who certainly didn't regress in any hockey way. A guy who went from HS hockey to pedestrian NCAA production, good play against kids his age and now facing the best of the best, all within such a short time frame.

I don't think I ever mentioned it, so this is certainly not an "I told you so," but I saw posters here get pasted by people earlier this summer when they noticed the same thing and suggested there's a chance Casey might need to start in the AHL. I think some of those people laying into those posters were a little dazzled by paper rankings from guys they spend lots of time scoffing at, until they say things that are nice for Sabres fans to hear.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I still see a slightly better version of the guy that got easy minutes and lucky bounces in April - a guy who focused on bulking this summer (he needed to do it) and spent less on the ice than he maybe should have, but who certainly didn't regress in any hockey way. A guy who went from HS hockey to pedestrian NCAA production, good play against kids his age and now facing the best of the best, all within such a short time frame.

I don't think I ever mentioned it, so this is certainly not an "I told you so," but I saw posters here get pasted by people earlier this summer when they noticed the same thing and suggested there's a chance Casey might need to start in the AHL. I think some of those people laying into those posters were a little dazzled by paper rankings from guys they spend lots of time scoffing at, until they say things that are nice for Sabres fans to hear.

He could still work his way back into the lineup. They certainly would like him to be ready, and he will get opportunities. And at his age, he could figure it out in the next two weeks.

It’s just really hard for a teenager to step in against men and be an impact player immediately.

Reactions: Rasmus CacOlainen

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I still think he makes the opening night lineup.He had a solid game and created some nice plays and had a really good deflection in the second period that could of led to a goal. Yes he made some mistakes but as a 19 year old kid in a men’s league it’s going to happen. They gave him 11 minutes the first game and 13 minutes tonight so I feel Housley is easing him in. Either way I trust Botterill will make the correct decision for his development and after the next few games we will have more clarity. I figure he sits out tomorrow and is back for the final stretch next week after the next round of cuts are made after this weekend

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He needs to settle down more than anything. He looks very nervous which is understandable with the expectations he has on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad