Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He needs to settle down more than anything. He looks very nervous which is understandable with the expectations he has on him.

Agreed, and he has a massive bonus. It isn't like Eichs in 2015. He's not on an island with 1 other guy. There's so much talent riding the same wave he is. He just needs to settle, and play his game.

Reactions: joshjull

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He needs to settle down more than anything. He looks very nervous which is understandable with the expectations he has on him.
His confidence is clearly low. He is flubbing plays. He's definitely not in great shape/carrying too much weight, but his indecision is making him seem slower than he is.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I don’t know, maybe he should spend some time at wing, you know, where’s he’s played the majority of his past year. I know, it sounds crazy, but maybe a 19 year old, playing his first pro season, shouldn’t be thrust into an uncomfortable position while bearing the burden of hightened expectations? Just a thought.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
He does not look as good as he did in last years cup of coffee through training camp and pre season. But he is still an elite prospect who many consider the best forward prospect in the league. The first 4 games are essential. I still think when the games actually matter that you'll see him play at a NHL caliber talent. I still believe 50 points as a rookie is reasonable.

That being said Nylander and Tage have earned a roster spot. Since its obvious Casey is our 2C now and for the next decade, as much as I would want him to start in Rochester, at the end of the day even a half assed Mittelstadt is far better then Johan Larsson and Zemgus Girgenons. If they are somehow still in the top 12 then Casey should by default.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I thought he was replacing ROR as the team's 2C ?
Assuming he's on the team in October, Mitts would probably get the easier offensive assignments and act as the secondary scoring/clean up crew to Eichel's tougher offensive assignments. In that sense, if it works out, his line may very well make up for ROR lines lost offense (and then some, over time)... but ROR's tough defensive assignments would probably fall to Berglund and Larsson or whoever centers the other two lines.

I don't think anyone ever believed Mittelstadt alone would replace ROR's ridiculous role as the "do everything" 2C while the 3rd and 4th lines took the season off.

Last edited:

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The lines aren’t out today, but I wonder if we see him on the lw next to berglund or Sobotka.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I thought he was replacing ROR as the team's 2C ?

He is slated to be our secondary offensive center. Something ROR was not. Whether in that role Mitts gets the 2nd most 5v5 minutes will be determined by his play. Right now it doesn't look likely he would get the 2nd most. But its still preseason and that can change.

We don't know who the other 2 centers will be yet of Berglund, Sobotka and Larsson. Asplund being the wildcard. Once we know that and the line make ups. we can get a better idea of usage and possible minute distribution.

The season playing out will obviously be the best informer of this

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Mittelstadt wont get sent down. You people put to much weight into preseason.

It’s really the only basis of live hockey we can form opinions on. CM was a bit of a let down in the prospects tourney— one that he was expected to dominate.

Casey, while generating solid offensive numbers in his late season action, made some horrendous defensive lapses last year. This preseason he hasn’t looked confident.

Mittelstadt will not go to Rochester, at least for the first few weeks, because Botterill all but explicitly said that he was going to be on the team this year. To boost his confidence, it might be worthwhile to put him on the wing with the focus of generating offense. Hopefully then he can generate some offense (his skill set) while having a more veteran presence at C (Berglund/Sobotka).

Rochester is an absolute last resort IMO based off previous comments by JB. He just looks like someone who needs a goal to turn up the confidence.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
He does look better than he did in last year's cup of coffee.

In the 1.5 periods he actually played center positionally on the ice in April, the Sabres did not record a shot attempt while he was out there, and they had to put ERod back in the middle. I guess people only remember the lucky stat line.

He's fine and right on track for a guy who played in HS two seasons ago, and who had 30 points in 34 games in the NCAA last year.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He does look better than he did in last year's cup of coffee.

In the 1.5 periods he actually played center positionally on the ice in April, the Sabres did not record a shot attempt while he was out there, and they had to put ERod back in the middle. I guess people only remember the lucky stat line.

He's fine and right on track for a guy who played in HS two seasons ago, and who had 30 points in 34 games in the NCAA last year.

I anticipate the hate coming from many who unnecessarily pumped him up into a 50+ point guarantee.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Middlestadt has been getting pretty sheltered which is good or maybe its an indication of his play and hes just sitting more but in Pittsburgh he got 11:07 minutes of ice time and against Toronto he got 9:46 minutes of ice time.
I anticipate the hate coming from many who unnecessarily pumped him up into a 50+ point guarantee.
I had to pump the breaks, I don't see him being Calder candidate this year anymore. Petersson is showing what I wished Middlestadt was showing, I think at the end of the day Vancouver's rookie will be getting the Calder, that kid is unreal already.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Middlestadt has been getting pretty sheltered which is good or maybe its an indication of his play and hes just sitting more but in Pittsburgh he got 11:07 minutes of ice time and against Toronto he got 9:46 minutes of ice time.
I had to pump the breaks, I don't see him being Calder candidate this year anymore. Petersson is showing what I wished Middlestadt was showing, I think at the end of the day Vancouver's rookie will be getting the Calder, that kid is unreal already.

I think Mitts has the same level of talent as Pettersson, or close enough.

But the difference right now is Pettersson has a full year of professional play. He knows the pace better, today.

Idk whether Casey is just trying to focus on the defensive side or his workouts this summer are something he is adjusting too, but I’m sure he will work it out this year, and even have some incredible shifts/periods/games.

I think Dahlin will have a real chance at the Calder, as soon as they put him on the pp.

Reactions: joshjull

leo2892

Jan 25, 2007
Really wish that Buffalo would stop rushing prospects for the sake of bolstering the roster in the short-term... a lot of players in the NHL benefited a lot from having brief stints in the AHL while transitioning to professional play.

Reactions: Sabre the Win
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->