Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
There’s not really anything positive to say about his play from the Rookie Tournament right through to now, he just hasn’t looked anything like a top end prospect.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
There’s not really anything positive to say about his play from the Rookie Tournament right through to now, he just hasn’t looked anything like a top end prospect.

I have been relatively happy with his defense. It has not been tremendous or anything, but for his age he is tracking his mark well enough and he shows signs of using his stick well.

They just put to much on him to start with.

Reactions: joshjull

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I disagree pretty strongly. He hasn’t DOMINATED since the rookie tournament, and he has had a few struggles, but he’s clearly adapted to the speed of the NHL and you see him getting more and more comfortable. I don’t think it’s going to be long before you see him start to shine. Right now he’s playing the solid, simple game that we need him too. He’ll be fine.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He's cleaning up his puck handling with each game and is able to hold on to the puck twice as long as the first few games. He needs to add about 15 lbs of muscle before next season to be able to play the game the way he wants to however. You can adapt to the speed of the game as you go but you can't avoid guys with 20+ lbs on you knocking you off the puck. Especially when NHL refs allow players to ski across the ice draped over another player.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
He's definitely learning on the fly what he can and can't get away with, but to me Casey clearly looks like he belongs. He continues to impress me with his defensive polish and his confidence with the puck is growing steadily. Once he pots one, look out.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
He's definitely learning on the fly what he can and can't get away with, but to me Casey clearly looks like he belongs. He continues to impress me with his defensive polish and his confidence with the puck is growing steadily. Once he pots one, look out.

Yep... and it’s hilarious that a poster or two thinks he should go to Rochester. He’s developing just fine with the Sabres. Even if it takes him 2-3 years. As long as most games you see him taking little steps. And if you compare him month to month, most months you see improvement. Even if it’s slight.

Reactions: Graves

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Yep... and it’s hilarious that a poster or two thinks he should go to Rochester. He’s developing just fine with the Sabres. Even if it takes him 2-3 years. As long as most games you see him taking little steps. And if you compare him month to month, most months you see improvement. Even if it’s slight.
double standard imo. Mittelstadt develops in NHL but Nylander has to develop in AHL.

how is mittelstadt totally void of criticism on this board? 1 assist in 9 games or so, thats not very good. If you count preseason the guy has 1p in 15 games.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Are people just complaining about points or how he's playing? Is Mittelstadt hurting the team? I don't see him hurting the team.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
double standard imo. Mittelstadt develops in NHL but Nylander has to develop in AHL.

how is mittelstadt totally void of criticism on this board? 1 assist in 9 games or so, thats not very good. If you count preseason the guy has 1p in 15 games.

Because if you watched how Nylander played up until this year and you watch how Casey plays you can see the difference. Casey's game is just so much further ahead than Nylanders has been

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Are people just complaining about points or how he's playing? Is Mittelstadt hurting the team? I don't see him hurting the team.
Not to be a nit-picker here, but yea, he has hurt the team, specifically on the PP. He's not the only or even the main reason our PP is bad, but the last 4 games I've watched, he's made poor passes or cannot maintain possession of the puck once in the O-zone in 1v1 battles that have directly led to turnovers and zone clearing. It's only 9 games in, but those mistakes cost the team in potential scoring chances imo.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Not to be a nit-picker here, but yea, he has hurt the team, specifically on the PP. He's not the only or even the main reason our PP is bad, but the last 4 games I've watched, he's made poor passes or cannot maintain possession of the puck once in the O-zone in 1v1 battles that have directly led to turnovers and zone clearing. It's only 9 games in, but those mistakes cost the team in potential scoring chances imo.
I think people are more willing to cut Casey some slack given that he's gone from high school hockey to the NHL in two years and looks like he's growing/learning even in this short time despite his lack of production... than say, cutting Nylander some slack, who has been playing the pro game for several years now and tends to still have these mindblowing hand grenade moments due to, at least perceived, laziness.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I think people are more willing to cut Casey some slack given that he's gone from high school hockey to the NHL in two years and looks like he's growing/learning even in this short time despite his lack of production... than say, cutting Nylander some slack, who has been playing the pro game for several years now and tends to still have these mindblowing hand grenade moments due to, at least perceived, laziness.
Oh, I agree Dreakon, I'm just pointing out that yea, his learning curve has cost the team some is all. I love the kid, but I can't sugar-coat what I'm seeing as he goes through the progression of adjusting to the big show game is all.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Oh, I agree Dreakon, I'm just pointing out that yea, his learning curve has cost the team some is all. I love the kid, but I can't sugar-coat what I'm seeing as he goes through the progression of adjusting to the big show game is all.
Maybe this is crazy, but I feel like I can observe Casey improving. Like, he makes an ill advised behind the back play the becomes a turnover, and then the next time he’s in that same situation, he curls away, takes a moment, and makes a clean crisp pass.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Maybe this is crazy, but I feel like I can observe Casey improving. Like, he makes an ill advised behind the back play the becomes a turnover, and then the next time he’s in that same situation, he curls away, takes a moment, and makes a clean crisp pass.
Well, to be fair, my original response was to Sabres dance and if Mitts had hurt the team. He said he didn't see it, and, given our putrid PP early season, I had seen it, multiple times, multiple games. But I also pointed out he's not the only or even the main reason the PP, prior to last night, was ineffective early season. But he most certainly was a contributing factor. He should self correct, I have no worries long term, but yea, I'm calling it as I see it play out on the ice on this one, Casey's learning curve and decision making have cost potential scoring chances early season.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Mitts moved to PP1 and PP2 gets the extra man points :laugh: coincidence? :sarcasm:

Anyways those that are taking pot shots at Nylander in this thread, at least hes point per game at the pro level, "hand grenade" or not.

Every Sabre player makes hand grenade plays multiple times a game and yet Nylander is a problem.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Well, to be fair, my original response was to Sabres dance and if Mitts had hurt the team. He said he didn't see it, and, given our putrid PP early season, I had seen it, multiple times, multiple games. But I also pointed out he's not the only or even the main reason the PP, prior to last night, was ineffective early season. But he most certainly was a contributing factor. He should self correct, I have no worries long term, but yea, I'm calling it as I see it play out on the ice on this one, Casey's learning curve and decision making have cost potential scoring chances early season.
Naturally. I just see progress, and I see reason to keep him around.

Reactions: Yatzhee

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Anyways those that are taking pot shots at Nylander in this thread, at least hes point per game at the pro level, "hand grenade" or not.

Every Sabre player makes hand grenade plays multiple times a game and yet Nylander is a problem.
I wasn't necessarily trying to take a pot shot at Nylander, and not to further derail this, but his effort level has always been a question (enough to get him benched in the AHL playoffs less than a year ago) until *maybe* this year.

Which is why fans might single him out... and it's what separates him from Mittelstadt who while is still learning and a little lost at times, can't really question if he's trying or if he cares at this point.

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
4 points in his last 5 games and i'm seeing continued improvement game by game. Lost to be excited about these days.

It's kind of mind-blowing how much he's improved from the beginning of training camp to now. There was a legitimate case to be made for Casey to spend some time in Rochester after camp. Now? While he's not the 2nd-line center to Jack YET......if he keeps this up, he will be by the end of the year. Remarkable.

Reactions: DJN21 and joshjull

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
It's kind of mind-blowing how much he's improved from the beginning of training camp to now. There was a legitimate case to be made for Casey to spend some time in Rochester after camp. Now? While he's not the 2nd-line center to Jack YET......if he keeps this up, he will be by the end of the year. Remarkable.
He’s developing nicely. Good to see some of our prospects/young guys on a nice steady path.

Reactions: sabrebuild
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad