Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
People are giving him a chance to be ‘something not bad’ because of his nice showings last season but i feel he is underrated in the fanbase and he’s gonna show good this year !

Last edited:

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Casey is probably at the crossroad of his pro career . The biggest question is who his line mates will be and how they contribute . His hands and skill set around the net will help keep him in the NHL . He will need to gain weight , strength and add attitude to play top 6 minutes at center for any NHL team .
He doesn't need attitude and his strength is fine. He didn't have good linemates last season and wasn't out muscled or out hustled. He has the vision, hands and skill set. He'll be fine as a top 6 for just about anyone.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
A good deal short term but I'd prefer us taking a risk with higher aav and more years.

Yeah, it does feel like a bit of a missed opportunity to maybe lock down a late bloomer for less than market value before his production really takes off.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
With this deal still leaving Mitts as an RFA at the end of it, I think this is a good move with a "prove it" bridge deal for a guy that still has a lot to prove.
Yeah it's not a bad deal but if you want great deals you have to accept some amount of risk.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Man, with tage showing he is a legit middle six center (at the very least), it would go a long way for this organization for Mitts to come back and show he is right there with him

Reactions: Matt Ress

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
i think casey has been very quietly one of our best players this past stretch of games

I will second your comment. His line has been the one getting up the ice, establishing possession and working the other team's defense by forcing them to skate and defend in their zone. He's won more 50-50 battles than he did earlier in the year and has made some quality plays. But it's getting that mini-LOG forecheck going with the three of them that weirdly works even though none of them are big or are particularly fast or even particularly mean with how they rub guys out.

Reactions: valet and dire wolf

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I will second your comment. His line has been the one getting up the ice, establishing possession and working the other team's defense by forcing them to skate and defend in their zone. He's won more 50-50 battles than he did earlier in the year and has made some quality plays. But it's getting that mini-LOG forecheck going with the three of them that weirdly works even though none of them are big or are particularly fast or even particularly mean with how they rub guys out.

You don’t need to throw a huge hit to do that. You just need to know where to go, and then be a pitbull when you’re there. I’ve noticed they get in there and leave the opposing team with one option: pass it back further into their own zone. Well, two if you wanna count “have a 50/50 board battle”.

Reactions: dire wolf

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Weve known he has good hands but the frequency hes been displaying them has only increased. Puck was taped to his stick a few times tonight

Reactions: Kyndig

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Casey's defensive play has been outstanding recently. He's superb at stripping pucks, and he's been a relentless puck hound recently. He's really improved along the walls too. I didn't predict that his game would go that direction, but he's really good at it.

I'm curious to see how his game shows down this last stretch. He's giving them matchup options that we probably weren't expecting given the style of his linemates. That double-team where he stripped the puck and then feed Asplund from 100' away was the sort of thing that has me pulling Robert DeNiro faces at the screen.

1648869970429.png

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
This dude has been one of my favorite prospects to watch because he reminds me a ton of Tim Connolly. His upside is still really growing and I can see him having a Tage like breakthrough next season.

Which possibly could have been this year if injuries didn't kill him.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Weve known he has good hands but the frequency hes been displaying them has only increased. Puck was taped to his stick a few times tonight
There was one battle along the boards where Mitts got knocked down, but still was stick handling with one hand. It legitimately looked like the puck was glued to his stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00