Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Travis Yost writes:
I have long argued that for offer sheets...to be effective, they need to be deployed on second- and third-tier players.

I don't believe any team is after Mittlestadt.

Armchair GM's:

If Casey signed an offersheet for one year $6.1M, would you match or take the 1st and 3rd?

If Casy signed an offersheet for 4 years a $4.1M AAV, would you match or take the 2nd round pick?

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Travis Yost writes:

I don't believe any teams is after Mittlestadt.

Armchair GM's:

If Casey signed an offersheet for one year $6.1M, would you match or take the 1st and 3rd?

If Casy signed an offersheet for 4 years a $4.1M AAV, would you match or take the 2nd round pick?
Can't see any of those happening. We will likely give him a better deal than any other team.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Travis Yost writes:

Armchair GM's:

I would take the 1st and a 3rd if he got the 1x$6.1M OS and I would match the 4x$4.1M OS.

$4.1M is likely to be a slight overpay over the next four years. And a 2nd isn't enough for me to give up Mitts.

But, $6.1M and the QO implications moving forward is a massive overpayment. So, I would take the picks.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I would take the 1st and a 3rd if he got the 1x$6.1M OS and I would match the 4x$4.1M OS.

$4.1M is likely to be a slight overpay over the next four years. And a 2nd isn't enough for me to give up Mitts.

But, $6.1M and the QO implications moving forward is a massive overpayment. So, I would take the picks.

6.1 is an easy walk away and take the picks.

4.1M is more than a slightly overpay. It's more than double his market rate. But, since he's young and we have the option for the 1/3 buyout later if it bombs.

But, nobody is wasting an offersheet on a project middle 6 center. There's zero chance we don't match it and it's not like it'll screw up our cap situation. All it would do is mess up the signings team cap and piss off the Sabres.

Reactions: Jacob582

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
6.1 is an easy walk away and take the picks.

4.1M is more than a slightly overpay. It's more than double his market rate. But, since he's young and we have the option for the 1/3 buyout later if it bombs.

But, nobody is wasting an offersheet on a project middle 6 center. There's zero chance we don't match it and it's not like it'll screw up our cap situation. All it would do is mess up the signings team cap and piss off the Sabres.

I think there is a decent chance that Mitts @ $4.1M might be OK at the back end of a 4 year deal. If he is a 45-50pt 2C by then, $4.1M isn't bad at all.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Travis Yost writes:

Armchair GM's:

No one's OS'ing Mitts, but I'd match either, even if they're overpays. We're not hurting for cap space. We are hurting for center talent.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
No one's OS'ing Mitts, but I'd match either, even if they're overpays. We're not hurting for cap space. We are hurting for center talent.
I’d match both as well for the same reason. But no one is giving him an offersheet nor likely anyone else on our team. The cap space you mentioned being the reason why. We can match anything and can ride out an overpayment for several years. It would make the odds of success for the team making the OS pretty close of zero.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Depends on the team making the offer. If Anaheim then I take the picks. If Vegas I would match.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I’d match both as well for the same reason. But no one is giving him an offersheet nor likely anyone else on our team. The cap space you mentioned being the reason why. We can match anything and can ride out an overpayment for several years. It would make the odds of success for the team making the OS pretty close of zero.
On top of that, we have the cap space and assets to make a revenge offer sheet, which is the buzzword of the week.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Travis Yost writes:

I don't believe any team is after Mittlestadt.

Armchair GM's:

I would take four years at 4.1 million. I would take the 1st and the 3rd over a one year $6.1M contract.

Reactions: Jacob582

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

As a fan, it would physically pain me to match a $6.1M 1-year offer sheet. But this is it right here. We need talent at center and Mitts was looking like he was going to be a long-term option at 2C. Is it an overpayment? Yeah, for 1 year. But hopefully after that we would be able to sign him long-term at a more reasonable number (which is what KK is rumored to be doing if MTL lets him go to CAR).

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
In that scenario it isn't a 1st and 3rd; it's a 1st,3rd and getting out of a horrific QO.

“Horrific QO” is a bit melodramatic. There are also more things involved in this scenario than your post touches on.

-Mitts is 1 of only 2 top 6 center possibilities on the roster/in system at the moment. (Cozens is the other/I’m assuming an Eichel trade)

-We won’t be up against the cap for a few years.

Matching an offersheet like that for Mitts would be about how confident the organization was in his ability to be the top 6 center. As well as how much pressure they would want to put on Cozens if Mitts left and he was it.

Overpaying Mitts by a lot for a couple years due to his high QO is not the overwhelming negative you think it is. Its certainly not ideal but other factors come into play to determine if the organization would think its worth it.

EDIT: having said the above, I would be shocked if anyone sent an offersheet our way for Mitts or anyone else. We just have way too much cap space.

Last edited:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
“Horrific QO” is a bit melodramatic. There are also more things involved in this scenario than your post touches on.

-Mitts is 1 of only 2 top 6 center possibilities on the roster/in system at the moment. (Cozens is the other/I’m assuming an Eichel trade)

Matching an offersheet like that for Mitts would be about how confident the organization was in his ability to be the top 6 center. As well as how much pressure they would want to put on Cozens if Mitts left and he was it.

Overpaying Mitts by a lot for a couple years due to his high QO is not the overwhelming negative you think it is. Its certainly not ideal but other factors come into play to determine if the organization would think its worth it.

EDIT: having said the above, I would be shocked if anyone sent an offersheet our way for Mitts or anyone else. We just have way too much cap space.

How else would you describe a 7.3M QO requirement (120% of 6.1)? A player overpaid by that amount causes resentment in the dressing room.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The 120% wouldn't apply in that case. The QO is 100% of the base salary if the base salary is equal to or greater than $1,000,000.

Oh I was going by this which must no longer be in force:

• For players who are on expiring contracts that were signed after July 10, 2020:
    • The Qualifying Offer is limited to 120% of their previous contracts annual average (AAV)
    • Reference: 2020 NHL CBA extension Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Oh I was going by this which must no longer be in force:

• For players who are on expiring contracts that were signed after July 10, 2020:
    • The Qualifying Offer is limited to 120% of their previous contracts annual average (AAV)
    • Reference: 2020 NHL CBA extension Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)

Yeah, I missed that part.

The only thing with that is how good with this long term deal be if KK could get a 20% bump every off season through a QO?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

While this is a pure "intellectual exercise" as I agree, nobody is offersheeting him, I think the value for Mittestadt (and 1st and a 3rd) is probably too good to ignore. It's not about cap space, is that someone is overpaying badly for Mittelstadt. Take the payday and find a center for a smaller price.

jputt99

Nov 24, 2016
Charlotte NC
Casey is probably at the crossroad of his pro career . The biggest question is who his line mates will be and how they contribute . His hands and skill set around the net will help keep him in the NHL . He will need to gain weight , strength and add attitude to play top 6 minutes at center for any NHL team .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad