Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
That wouldn't change the fact that LoBro is a TnT-esque gamble.
At the time it looked like a struggling young player who couldn't get in the lineup for another struggling young player who couldn't get into the lineup, which isn't entirely fair to Mitts since he's clearly put in the work but just wouldn't get put in the lineup often enough to show what he could bring. I'm glad that he's come around for sure and has earned his keep over the lifeless bums. He's using this opportunity however awful the overall environment is.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
At most straight across IMO, Vancouver should not be the team adding the 3rd. Gaudette's ceiling is still higher than Casey's IMO given how he put up 33 points in 59 games (0.56 pts /game) just last season while running our 2nd PP, and Benning likely still sees potential in him (Casey hasn't come close to materializing his 1st round pick pedigree, so I thought I'd keep that from being a point used for leverage, but 2nd LW upside with play-making and PK ability does make him valuable).

Virtanen for Thompson I'd probably do, since Jake's primary asset is rushing the puck or being the 1st guy in the zone to get it but he doesn't really fit our team's makeup. What are Casey and Thompson's skills and weaknesses?

Casey has a handle and offensive instincts. He has shown PK ability. He just needs some consistency with how he is deployed. We've been so schizo the past couple years with lines game to game. We "gifted" him center minutes way too freaking early. But it may be time to do it again with Staal gone. I wouldn't mind seeing him with heavy Ozone mins with Skinner. Just kind of an unknown quantity still. But his stock is rising here.

So Tage can...do some pretty amazing things. I wouldn't say he is low IQ and he isn't low effort, but he does try to do too much. He has skills and he knows he has skills but they arent translating in games. He is not a power forward and never will be, with his reach he can be a pain in the ass to play against. With his speed and ability to quickly accelerate I wish they would just put him on the 4th line, him and Rieder could be some kind of a pair, just focus on the forecheck and picks his offensive spots more. He is so frustrating to watch. We could use Virtanens style of play. Thompson may have more upside than Mitts. We have been so inept at player development the past 6 years that I really wouldn't be surprised if we sell low on some of these kids and they get on track somewhere else.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Casey has a handle and offensive instincts. He has shown PK ability. He just needs some consistency with how he is deployed. We've been so schizo the past couple years with lines game to game. We "gifted" him center minutes way too freaking early. But it may be time to do it again with Staal gone. I wouldn't mind seeing him with heavy Ozone mins with Skinner. Just kind of an unknown quantity still. But his stock is rising here.

So Tage can...do some pretty amazing things. I wouldn't say he is low IQ and he isn't low effort, but he does try to do too much. He has skills and he knows he has skills but they aren't translating in games. He is not a power forward and never will be, with his reach he can be a pain in the ass to play against. With his speed and ability to quickly accelerate I wish they would just put him on the 4th line, him and Rieder could be some kind of a pair, just focus on the forecheck and picks his offensive spots more. He is so frustrating to watch. We could use Virtanen's style of play. Thompson may have more upside than Mitts. We have been so inept at player development the past 6 years that I really wouldn't be surprised if we sell low on some of these kids and they get on track somewhere else.

Casey sounds basically like a left-handed version of Gaudette (he and Jake both fell off, and Sutter found his form in the playoffs which bumped Gaudette to the wing, and this season he's been alternating between 3RW and played some C with Beagle's injury). From a fresh start perspective I think both teams could use the other team's duo, and it's entirely dependent on each player whether they boom or bust.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Get this kid out of Buffalo, please. I'm so over his shot selection, his poor ability away from the puck. God damnit Casey, I loved you in your World Junior.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Since the first time I saw him play I have never been a Mittelstadt fan. I have had many arguments with people on this board about his potential, and have always fallen on the side of him being too soft mentally, and just not having the it factor in his gut to dig in and be all he can be. He has always seem to lack heart, aggressiveness, tenacity, confidence. Always looked like a trick shot artist in a doughboys body. So considering that:

First, In one of the first games I saw this year I remember remarking to my wife that something looked different about Mitts this year. By the second game what I put my finger on is that he looked bigger and stronger to me. Less doughy and more athlete.

In his second chance to play, the last 10 games or so, he also looks a little faster, with a more powerful stride. I have seen him put his head down and dig those first couple strides to get up to speed and back into the play. As he plays (in more protected deployments) his confidence and vision are improving and he is looking better. Looking like their could still be a NHL player in there.

Now, lets not get carried away here. Two years ago I made the argument several times that if he has a future it will be as a winger, with simpler responsibilities. I thought when they sent him to Rochester they should have made that switch then and let him take Reinhart's path to success.

SO PLEASE!!!!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF HOCKEY! DO NOT PUT HIM BACK AT CENTER!

Give him a couple years to try to become a serviceable middle six winger.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Since the first time I saw him play I have never been a Mittelstadt fan. I have had many arguments with people on this board about his potential, and have always fallen on the side of him being too soft mentally, and just not having the it factor in his gut to dig in and be all he can be. He has always seem to lack heart, aggressiveness, tenacity, confidence. Always looked like a trick shot artist in a doughboys body. So considering that:

First, In one of the first games I saw this year I remember remarking to my wife that something looked different about Mitts this year. By the second game what I put my finger on is that he looked bigger and stronger to me. Less doughy and more athlete.

In his second chance to play, the last 10 games or so, he also looks a little faster, with a more powerful stride. I have seen him put his head down and dig those first couple strides to get up to speed and back into the play. As he plays (in more protected deployments) his confidence and vision are improving and he is looking better. Looking like their could still be a NHL player in there.

Now, lets not get carried away here. Two years ago I made the argument several times that if he has a future it will be as a winger, with simpler responsibilities. I thought when they sent him to Rochester they should have made that switch then and let him take Reinhart's path to success.

SO PLEASE!!!!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF HOCKEY! DO NOT PUT HIM BACK AT CENTER!

Give him a couple years to try to become a serviceable middle six winger.
Every time they put him on C the team starts to build momentum. Boston were crushing us when Mitts was put back with Hall and Sam and we finally got going.

He should get the rest if the year on the first line. Our best transition player currently and with his improved skating he can actually use his stickhandling to find passing lanes.

Reactions: truthbluth

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Every time they put him on C the team starts to build momentum. Boston were crushing us when Mitts was put back with Hall and Sam and we finally got going.

He should get the rest if the year on the first line. Our best transition player currently and with his improved skating he can actually use his stickhandling to find passing lanes.
Yeah.....you need to pass out those rose colored glasses to the rest of the board, because you are definitely cherry picking to try and make it look WAAAAAAYY better than it is.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
A point in three straight games or another two point night the next game and our boy Casey is 0.5 ppg!

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Yeah.....you need to pass out those rose colored glasses to the rest of the board, because you are definitely cherry picking to try and make it look WAAAAAAYY better than it is.
Will you still be here once Olofsson is off this team?

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Will you still be here once Olofsson is off this team?
Strange question in a Mittlestadt thread. Your definitely one of those people that grasp at straws, to make whatever connection you need to in your mind, to justify venting your life frustration on a message board.

Instead of searching for ways to attack individual posters you don't like, why don't you write some well thought out commentary on the player, situation, or topic.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Strange question in a Mittlestadt thread. Your definitely one of those people that grasp at straws, to make whatever connection you need to in your mind, to justify venting your life frustration on a message board.

Instead of searching for ways to attack individual posters you don't like, why don't you write some well thought out commentary on the player, situation, or topic.
Ok

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Some of these posts aren’t aging well. Casey has always been one of our most talented players. He always had hockey IQ and compete, but just needed to develop physically. The best thing the Sabres did was send him down to Rochester.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Some of these posts aren’t aging well. Casey has always been one of our most talented players. He always had hockey IQ and compete, but just needed to develop physically. The best thing the Sabres did was send him down to Rochester.

Ehhhh... I'm not sold on anything with him yet. He still looks small and slow to me. Watching him change directions is painful.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Ehhhh... I'm not sold on anything with him yet. He still looks small and slow to me. Watching him change directions is painful.

He's looked instinctively smart and competitive to me. Right place at the right time, a natural proclivity for finding the soft spots on the ice in the offensive zone.

Reactions: Zman5778

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Mitts is looking great. If he can keep it up the rest of the season then that is a huge boom for this team. Really impressed with his hustle on the back check/defensive effort.

Anyone crapping on him right now just has an agenda. The kid was developed terribly and is finally recovering. This organization needs to really look at their development plan for the kids.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Mitts is looking great. If he can keep it up the rest of the season then that is a huge boom for this team. Really impressed with his hustle on the back check/defensive effort.

Anyone crapping on him right now just has an agenda. The kid was developed terribly and is finally recovering. This organization needs to really look at their development plan for the kids.
He's the only one besides Eichel pulling off stuff in tight areas. He's a really good stickhandler.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad