Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I’ve never understood this idea that playing video games is preventing a pro athlete from working out. Players have more than enough time in the offseason to both work out hard for the season and play a lot of video games (or participate in any other hobbies they have).
I agree. My comment last page was in jest.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
IMHO, Casey’s biggest weakness isn’t pure strength. He never was and never will be a banger. He is a skill player. His weakness is his choppy acceleration stride. The first and second steps that help create separation or give you a better shooting/passing angle. It simply isn’t effective. Too much lower body movement and wasted energy. He does not possess the acceleration advantage he had at lower levels. Good news is that a good skating coach, and a desire to improve can address much of that. But the rest of his game will continue to be smothered if he does not improve that aspect and add the quickness that comes with it.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
IMHO, Casey’s biggest weakness isn’t pure strength. He never was and never will be a banger. He is a skill player. His weakness is his choppy acceleration stride. The first and second steps that help create separation or give you a better shooting/passing angle. It simply isn’t effective. Too much lower body movement and wasted energy. He does not possess the acceleration advantage he had at lower levels. Good news is that a good skating coach, and a desire to improve can address much of that. But the rest of his game will continue to be smothered if he does not improve that aspect and add the quickness that comes with it.
If he doesn't improve it this season when he has had all the time in the world (literally) he won't ever.
While I realize strength won't ever be his strength it's at handicap level right now and that has to change.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
His strength, or lack there of, very much impacted his skill play. He would frequently make a good read but not have enough zip on a pass or shot when he went to act on his read. Getting stronger will help that a lot. He will also improve his stride by getting stronger. Many guys with that short chopping stride are trying to make up for lack of power in their lower body. Unfortunately it becomes a habit that needs to be broken once the strength comes.

Gaining strength isn’t about being a banger. Its being better at the skill things he tries to do at the NHL level. It will also help him fight through defenders and do better in the dirty areas.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Good points. Tied into that is the lingering questions about his conditioning level - his recovery from high-effort shifts and his ability to string together any of those high-effort shifts is something that holds him back. If he's a more efficient skater, it would help him conserve some of his energy. So too if he improved his condition so that those shifts where he is a demand for the puck on the backcheck, using his stick to disrupt and quickly turn the play to the attack become more than every once in a while.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
His strength, or lack there of, very much impacted his skill play. He would frequently make a good read but not have enough zip on a pass or shot when he went to act on his read. Getting stronger will help that a lot. He will also improve his stride by getting stronger. Many guys with that short chopping stride are trying to make up for lack of power in their lower body. Unfortunately it becomes a habit that needs to be broken once the strength comes.

Gaining strength isn’t about being a banger. Its being better at the skill things he tries to do at the NHL level. It will also help him fight through defenders and do better in the dirty areas.
No argument on the points that better physical conditioning and strength will help, but Instill see a guy who wastes so much effort skating that I don’t know if Eichel level conditioning will be enough for his game to translate. He was never afraid to go to dirty areas, but while strength will help, getting there sooner will help more. Again jmho.

Reactions: joshjull

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Ralph Krueger expects a unique 'adventure' at this year's Sabres camp
Ralph Krueger says the Sabres were about to recall Mitts when play was suspended.
Mittelstadt had 18 points in his final 22 games in Rochester. The coach and GM are eager to see if that growth continues.
“We have to see how that transfers into the National Hockey League and into our roster,” Krueger said. “He will be an important part of our group this season.”

Kevyn Adams:
“Everything’s on the table with Casey. Sometimes with young players if they’ve been in the organization for a little while, it’s easy to forget that they’re young players. So, the message that I’ve had with Casey and his agent is that we believe in him as a player. We’re excited about him moving forward. We believe that everything should be earned, and we want him to come in and earn his spot, earn his ice time. The talent that he has and the player that he is will come out if he approaches that every day.”

Reactions: joshjull

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Ralph Krueger expects a unique 'adventure' at this year's Sabres camp
Ralph Krueger says the Sabres were about to recall Mitts when play was suspended.
Mittelstadt had 18 points in his final 22 games in Rochester. The coach and GM are eager to see if that growth continues.
“We have to see how that transfers into the National Hockey League and into our roster,” Krueger said. “He will be an important part of our group this season.”

Kevyn Adams:
“Everything’s on the table with Casey. Sometimes with young players if they’ve been in the organization for a little while, it’s easy to forget that they’re young players. So, the message that I’ve had with Casey and his agent is that we believe in him as a player. We’re excited about him moving forward. We believe that everything should be earned, and we want him to come in and earn his spot, earn his ice time. The talent that he has and the player that he is will come out if he approaches that every day.”

Maybe he's a Tim Connolly-type. That's my hope. Get a few good years. But as soon as Tim let his game hang out, he got destroyed.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I think mitts surprises , maybe not right away.. He seems like he has more drive than those here give him credit for.. The skating post and wasted movement seem correct.. His ability to process the game affected his confidence etc..

Its less evident in a player like dahlin who has great awareness and amazing ability but lacked a shot to realize his potential.. It is easier to forecast that improvement.

Casey is the red headed step cousin like Kyle Okposo , who, if you watched the games after he got punched he seems quite likely to return to a versiom of his former self that truly was a great player.. Only age and desire will hold back his possible rejuvenation.. If half of these and Skinner Staal risto etc storylines along w the kids improve beyond most expectation.. We will contend for a playoff spot and if the goalies exceed or return to their best statistical stretches.. Who knows..

Quite a fascinating narrative. If captain Jack and newly formed beast Dahlin can carry us to a winning record the first 8 or so games until the rest of the team finds some chemistry as a new group without any exhibition games.. We might be alright..

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I just would like to see Casey come into camp looking like he's diligently worked out for the last nine months, worked on things like his skating and appear motivated to succeed. If he looks like he's been hanging out with his buds, eating donuts, burgers, and drinking beer all summer - I'm ready to chalk him up as a lost cause.

I think he needs to spend the season in Roch - leading and getting the top minutes, building his skills and confidence along the way. Hoping he has the wherewithal to do that

Have not heard very much at all about Casey's offseason. So, I'm worried, but hopeful

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
He doesn't even need to be shredded just be in shape. He has been extremely out of shape conditioning wise since the start of his career. If he comes in sleeker with more endurance and pop in his step that would do wonders for his game. Very curious to see where his head has been at this whole off-season.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I’ve never understood this idea that playing video games is preventing a pro athlete from working out. Players have more than enough time in the offseason to both work out hard for the season and play a lot of video games (or participate in any other hobbies they have).
I had a gaming addiction around age 24 after a major break-up, I went and got help to manage it. It can be addiction just like anything else.

My days would consist of going to bed at 4am/5am, waking up at 2pm, eating and going right back to gaming until I fell asleep. The only time I got up is to eat, check my phone, answer the door for food.

I remember some kid died from gaming, he didn't eat or drink and died from dehydration.. imagine how addicted you have to be to just give up not drinking lol.

It literally ruined almost a year of my life until I met a girl who snapped me out of it and suggested I talk to someone.

I mean just look at how addicted people are to their phones. People need to see gaming can be an addiction as well.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I had a gaming addiction around age 24 after a major break-up, I went and got help to manage it. It can be addiction just like anything else.

My days would consist of going to bed at 4am/5am, waking up at 2pm, eating and going right back to gaming until I fell asleep. The only time I got up is to eat, check my phone, answer the door for food.

I remember some kid died from gaming, he didn't eat or drink and died from dehydration.. imagine how addicted you have to be to just give up not drinking lol.

It literally ruined almost a year of my life until I met a girl who snapped me out of it and suggested I talk to someone.

I mean just look at how addicted people are to their phones. People need to see gaming can be an addiction as well.

I’m glad you got help and are doing better.

I’m not talking about an addiction. An addiction of any kind can derail anyone in any career. I would never dismiss such a problem. I’m talking about playing video games as a preferred recreational pastime. There is no evidence that Mitts has addiction.

Reactions: Club

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad