Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

"I'm in discussion with Phil, and Phil is in discussion with his coaching staff, and there is always communication about what the lineup is going to be. The coach will, obviously, make the final decision but there's always communication on that."

Said LINEUP, which means the guys that are dressing that are up on the main roster that Jason handles.

That doesn't mean personnel moves with callups and send downs.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I've see a majority of his games since he went down. The good news is there has been meaningful improvement. Positionally he's much better in both zones. I've seen him around the blue paint in the O-Zone more in the past month than his entire time in Buffalo. He's made two pass breakups tonight in front of his own net that prevented grade-a chances. He's doing that more consistently now. He's also doing a much better job of keeping his feet moving.

The one thing that holds him back, even at the AHL level is skating. I don't think this is fatal, but it has to be the focus of his offseason. I don't really give a shit about him looking like a bean pole in the upper body. He's never going to out muscle people and he's good enough with his stick for it not to matter. But he need to add just a fraction of explosiveness to his skating. Not dramatic, but he's needs just that little bit more.

Unbelievable assist as I type this.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I've see a majority of his games since he went down. The good news is there has been meaningful improvement. Positionally he's much better in both zones. I've seen him around the blue paint in the O-Zone more in the past month than his entire time in Buffalo. He's made two pass breakups tonight in front of his own net that prevented grade-a chances. He's doing that more consistently now. He's also doing a much better job of keeping his feet moving.

The one thing that holds him back, even at the AHL level is skating. I don't think this is fatal, but it has to be the focus of his offseason. I don't really give a **** about him looking like a bean pole in the upper body. He's never going to out muscle people and he's good enough with his stick for it not to matter. But he need to add just a fraction of explosiveness to his skating. Not dramatic, but he's needs just that little bit more.

Unbelievable assist as I type this.

Hopefully it's still mostly his body and conditioning as that's easier to fix than becoming a faster skater.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

This is pretty slick. He's starting to look a bit better. There is a lot there to improve, but there are signs he's starting to turn it around.

Reactions: southeastern

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Casey has a ways to go. He’s on his way to become an average NHL player based on what I’ve seen, but he was drafted to be much more than just any average NHL player. We as an organization can’t be satisfied with just “good enough”. Once we get to that point, we stall out on development and hurt our team immensely. It’s what happened with Reinhart and I fear it will be what happens with Mittelstadt. I fear this management will see improvement with average results for Casey and will bring him back up with much development still on the table.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Casey has a ways to go. He’s on his way to become an average NHL player based on what I’ve seen, but he was drafted to be much more than just any average NHL player. We as an organization can’t be satisfied with just “good enough”. Once we get to that point, we stall out on development and hurt our team immensely. It’s what happened with Reinhart and I fear it will be what happens with Mittelstadt. I fear this management will see improvement with average results for Casey and will bring him back up with much development still on the table.

I don't see a scenario where he comes up the rest of the year. Then he'll have a huge offseason and we'll see where he's at.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't see a scenario where he comes up the rest of the year. Then he'll have a huge offseason and we'll see where he's at.

for me, I want to see him Rochester next year as well, and I don’t have much confidence in Mittelstadt doing what is needed to take that big of a step from where he is now in one offseason.

He’s proven twice now he’s put minimal effort in improving his game in the offseason at times where the very best opportunities were given to him. This past offseason many criticisms came about his offseason workouts, with many fans making excuses for him, and the critics said we would see where he’s at. Well, here we are. Sadly I have to default to him not taking his offseasons seriously until proven otherwise.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
for me, I want to see him Rochester next year as well, and I don’t have much confidence in Mittelstadt doing what is needed to take that big of a step from where he is now in one offseason.

He’s proven twice now he’s put minimal effort in improving his game in the offseason at times where the very best opportunities were given to him. This past offseason many criticisms came about his offseason workouts, with many fans making excuses for him, and the critics said we would see where he’s at. Well, here we are. Sadly I have to default to him not taking his offseasons seriously until proven otherwise.

It is possible that he put in the best summer of work that he’s ever put in and he still had so far to come to improve his strength and cardio. Hopefully being sent down has that impact of bringing some humility and desire for it never happened again at plants his ass in the gym all summer.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad