LeBrun: Carolina will "absolutely" trade Skinner

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Since I was the one who originally made the proposal, I will say that I think Braun and 1st rounder is too much, but SJ doesn't have 2nd or even 3rd this year.

I think McGinn is going to make another step up this year. So too much to add to Skinner. What about Skinner for Braun and 2019 second?

I think Braun + 2019 2nd is fair value for one year of Skinner and the type of deal DW could get behind (if he had something else in the works for a RHD replacement).

EDIT: Do you have any RHD in play that we could discuss in a 2nd trade? Also, we may need to add Melker Karlsson and your 2019 4th to the above trade to make cap/roster space work.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Isn't Skinner for Simmonds a deal where both teams kinda just tread water? Both are UFAs in a year and both will probably command contracts that the team receiving them might not be too keen on signing. They are different style of players so it may help out each team for 1 year though.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Since I was the one who originally made the proposal, I will say that I think Braun and 1st rounder is too much, but SJ doesn't have 2nd or even 3rd this year.

I think McGinn is going to make another step up this year. So too much to add to Skinner. What about Skinner for Braun and 2019 second?

I would definitely take a good hard look at that one.

Reactions: Unsustainable

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
Mayor is garbage with his trade rumors. I dont see the Kings moving Forbort but that's just me and that package is just not enticing to other teams.

I wouldn’t say he’s garbage. Also I don’t think he said that was a rumor, more like that’s something the Kings could offer.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
Agree. The only situation I'd be in favor of putting the 20 OA in play is for a higher 1st rounder this year AND we unload significant salary (Toffoli or Martinez/Muzzin) to make room for Tavares as UFA. We build the farm and get better on the ice.

Tavares for LA would be such a cap nightmare. Even with moving one of Pearson/Toffoli and Muzz/Amart, you have to think about Doughty’s extension. That’s gonna add another $4M most likely.

The only scenario I could see for Tavares coming to LA is if Doughty was traded. No way we could afford 3 players making $10M+

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Tavares for LA would be such a cap nightmare. Even with moving one of Pearson/Toffoli and Muzz/Amart, you have to think about Doughty’s extension. That’s gonna add another $4M most likely.

The only scenario I could see for Tavares coming to LA is if Doughty was traded. No way we could afford 3 players making $10M+

It may seem like a nightmare but for a world-class 1C, I would do it. The Kings need cost-controlled wingers and we need them to be effective. Adding Tavares is almost like adding an entire line of forwards.

Plus if the cap goes up by the rumored amount, a 10mil player is the new 8mil player. It's not like when the Hawks paid Kane and Toews 10m each while having Seabrook's anchor on their cap.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Isn't Skinner for Simmonds a deal where both teams kinda just tread water? Both are UFAs in a year and both will probably command contracts that the team receiving them might not be too keen on signing. They are different style of players so it may help out each team for 1 year though.
it all depends. Your owner wants more toughness. Simmonds can add that to the team and where he is good on the PP, that won't change for awhile. But in Philly, he is already our #3RW so moving him makes sense since he won't play in the top 6 anymore with us.

With Skinner, he adds speed and a shooter that the Flyers need and can play in the top 6 allowing Lindblom to be on the 3rd line.

Reactions: captainpaxil

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-tavares-focused-on-negotiations-with-islanders~1417629/

Starts at ~1:35.

L.A. has been cited as a potential landing spot pretty consistently, but this is the first time SJ has been mentioned in connection with him.

LeBrun suggested that the asking price was a 1st+prospect a week ago, but Waddell denied it to an extent:

Canes GM says it's a safe bet that young star Svechnikov will be team's draft pick

So, there's uncertainty about whether Carolina is expecting futures or is looking for as much of a hockey trade as the team can get given Skinner's 1 year of term.

Absolutely will? Does CAR expect full value? Is a better offer for Skinner at the TDL? You have to put a team on the ice and I don't know where CAR are going to generate offence from.

Trading Skinner is at a position of weakness and getting weaker if he's gone.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah I think the question with Skinner is simply is he looking to go to a winner or is he looking to get paid. It's REALLY not fair on the guy that he's been in the league this long, and been the (or at least the #2) face of a losing franchise since day 1. So if he's simply looking to go to a team that's a far safer bet to make the playoffs and make decent money in the process LA's a pretty good bet. If he's simply looking to cash in he can do that just about anywhere.

And that's fair. I honestly think the pair of trades I mentioned a bit earlier with the Hawks and Kings are more likely at this point, and probably also better long-term for the Canes odd as it is to say.

Simmonds will be 31y when the new contract kicks in, Okposo/Lucic/Ladd/Eriksson contracts are our daily reminders of how well those can age.

Dec 30, 2013
A thirty goal winger, it's not like every team in the league doesn't already have one or three and you can always just sign one every off season. I'm sure Skinner will return a boat load.

Above average talent + PP minutes = 25-30 goal scoring winner, not hard to find

Per NHL.com, since Skinner entered the league, 62 wingers have put up 30 goal seasons. He is one of 12 that have done it three times. He is one of eight to score 30 even strength goals. In this time period, 24 teams have had a winger put up at least one 30 goal season. Oddly enough, the Edmonton Oilers are one of the six teams that have failed at this apparently very easy task.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I would suggest Skinner for Lucic but Canes fans may hunt me down and skin me for that idea

Carolina adds, imo.

Imo, Carolina might not have to add if they retained a big portion of Skinner's contract.

Why would anyone want to acquire Lucic's cap hit? I can think of a lot of better players to spend $6m for the next 5 years on

Eich, look up, I think something just flew over your head. :) If I had a screen name like below that probably wouldn't have happened.

This is THE Milan Lucic we are talking about here. It's gonna take Skinner retained and may be a 2nd round pick next year to get him.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

That is something I would definitely get behind. Allows us to use our 1st to go out and get a replacement D.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Per NHL.com, since Skinner entered the league, 62 wingers have put up 30 goal seasons. He is one of 12 that have done it three times. He is one of eight to score 30 even strength goals. In this time period, 24 teams have had a winger put up at least one 30 goal season. Oddly enough, the Edmonton Oilers are one of the six teams that have failed at this apparently very easy task.
Vegas found four forwards in an expansion draft that outscored Skinner this year.

Last edited:

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC

I don’t know. Williams is only signed for one more season. Simmonds would be a good replacement.

Reactions: Tripod

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Absolutely will? Does CAR expect full value? Is a better offer for Skinner at the TDL? You have to put a team on the ice and I don't know where CAR are going to generate offence from.

Trading Skinner is at a position of weakness and getting weaker if he's gone.

It's true that replacing Skinner's 25-30 (ish) goals is not going to be easy, but it's not as stark as you make it sound. Aho (29G) and Teravainen (23G) took huge steps up in their development last year and are only 20 and 23 years old respectively. They were the drivers of offense on Carolina last year, not Skinner. Jordan Staal is good for 20(ish) goals every season. The team will be adding Svechnikov and Necas to the line-up and I will be a bit surprised if Svechnikov doesn't have a Hischier type of season and chips in 15-20 goals. Necas is more of a distributor. Faulk also had a down year in terms of goal scoring and I expect a bounce back for him.

All that said, I don't think the Canes are just "moving Skinner". I think either via another trade or free agency (less likely), they'll add more to the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad