LeBrun: Carolina will "absolutely" trade Skinner

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Carolina will absolutely trade Skinner? Carolina will absolutely regret it.

Am I missing something here? The Canes need scoring talent, and they have a surplus of defenders. Why would they trade Skinner? I haven't yet found a decent explanation as to why.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge

Am I missing something here? The Canes need scoring talent, and they have a surplus of defenders. Why would they trade Skinner? I haven't yet found a decent explanation as to why.

My complete guess here.

Skinner has played on a team that has missed out on the playoffs his whole career. He'd probably like a change of scenery. He knows he's a UFA at the end of the year, and is certainly not going to take a team friendly deal knowing he can hold himself up to the highest bidder and pick his destination.

Canes most likely want to change the makeup of the team a little bit, especially to become a bit tougher. Skinner is not a tough player to play against. Moving him makes sense considering what I just wrote in the above paragraph.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I agree that I do not see how Carolina and LA make a hockey deal as what LA has in excess of Carolina does not need. However I have not read anything about Blake saying this. I feel like LA's 20th OA is very much in play, even if I do not like it.

Agree. The only situation I'd be in favor of putting the 20 OA in play is for a higher 1st rounder this year AND we unload significant salary (Toffoli or Martinez/Muzzin) to make room for Tavares as UFA. We build the farm and get better on the ice.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Rod Brind’Amour is the new Hurricanes coach. Rod Brind’Amour has coached Jeff Skinner for the past 7 years straight. Do you think Brind’Amour has a pretty good read on him?

If the Canes leadership thought that Skinner was a part of his solution then they wouldn’t consider dealing him. They would re-sign him. Skinner also has a NMC. If he didn’t want to move then he doesn’t have to move. So all this smoke in the media seems to indicate that the two parties have a mutual interest in exploring other options.

At that point then I would assume that it is strongly likely that Skinner would sign an extension with his new team. He could control the outcome to only include that if he wanted. Seeing what the Sharks just paid Kane, I’d guess there are a number of teams out there that would be willing to shell out some assets to get a cost-controlled piece with a long-term extension in place.

The reasoning for the Canes seems pretty obvious if Brind’Amour isn’t on Skinner’s side. They don’t want to pay $6-7+ million long-term given their current salary structure. Maybe they want to sit at the Cap Floor. Maybe they need that space to bring in both Tavares and Karlsson to milk Svechnikov/Necas/Aho’s ELC. Maybe something in between.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I would suggest Skinner for Lucic but Canes fans may hunt me down and skin me for that idea

I would suggest Paul Martin for Connor McDavid but Oilers fans may hunt me down and skin me for that idea.

Seriously, what’s the point? One player obviously has negative value and one obviously has positive value. Why come in here and slander the character of Canes fans for how they would react to that proposal? No shit they’d be unhappy. It’s an awful proposal.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
A Kings insider was saying that Kings could offer a package of Forbort, Brodzinski and a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Other than that there’s not much we can do.
Mayor is garbage with his trade rumors. I dont see the Kings moving Forbort but that's just me and that package is just not enticing to other teams.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Would the Kings consider Skinner / Martinez swap?
I would, but the issue is Skinners potential exit from L.A. They cannot have a repeat of the Lucic deal. I'd do it if it meant Voynov was back or the Kings were trading his rights for another top 4 d man and Skinner was willing to sign at a decent rate long term. Makes no sense to trade for him without a new deal in place.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I know you are a Canes fan but how familiar are you with Braun? Can he be the veteran 2nd pairing RHD safety net that Hanifin needs (someone who covers the mistakes of a roaming, dynamic D)? Maybe a SJ fan can chime in? In that case Braun + 21 for Skinner (+) makes sense.

Donskoi is also a guy that interests me. Canes are Karpat-baggers and he has always stuck out to me with his speed, skill, and motor.

What are you adding back with Skinner? I have no particular issue with moving either the 1st or Braun, but moving both in a deal for a winger with one year left on his contract without a plan to replace Braun on the right side seems inadvisable to me, never mind that it’s a bit of an overpayment.

Donskoi is awesome when he can stay healthy. I doubt his trade value is even close to his real value on the ice. He provides so much more on the ice than he’d ever return in a trace.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Simmonds for skinner. Been discussed and agreed on a majority of the time.

19 + xxx for skinner. I’m not sure how other flyers fans feel about this one. But depending on the xxx. I’m down.
It would be so weird for those two to swap jerseys. I don't know if I would ever get used to it.

Reactions: Unsustainable

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I know you are a Canes fan but how familiar are you with Braun? Can he be the veteran 2nd pairing RHD safety net that Hanifin needs (someone who covers the mistakes of a roaming, dynamic D)? Maybe a SJ fan can chime in? In that case Braun + 21 for Skinner (+) makes sense.

Donskoi is also a guy that interests me. Canes are Karpat-baggers and he has always stuck out to me with his speed, skill, and motor.

Braun has been a top shutdown defenseman for a big portion of his NHL career but I don’t think he’s at that level anymore. I do think he is still very responsible defensively in a 2nd pair role and he would be great with Hanifin.

I’m guessing Brock McGinn would be too valuable to be that + on top of Skinner. I would love to add him, though. Perhaps Braun, #21OV, and a mid-level prospect for Skinner and McGinn?

Last edited:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I'd like Skinner as a flyers fan, depends on price. Hexy doesn't want to give up youth.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I would, but the issue is Skinners potential exit from L.A. They cannot have a repeat of the Lucic deal. I'd do it if it meant Voynov was back or the Kings were trading his rights for another top 4 d man and Skinner was willing to sign at a decent rate long term. Makes no sense to trade for him without a new deal in place.
Yeah I think the question with Skinner is simply is he looking to go to a winner or is he looking to get paid. It's REALLY not fair on the guy that he's been in the league this long, and been the (or at least the #2) face of a losing franchise since day 1. So if he's simply looking to go to a team that's a far safer bet to make the playoffs and make decent money in the process LA's a pretty good bet. If he's simply looking to cash in he can do that just about anywhere.

Simmonds next contract scares the hell out of me, I'd target someone else.

And that's fair. I honestly think the pair of trades I mentioned a bit earlier with the Hawks and Kings are more likely at this point, and probably also better long-term for the Canes odd as it is to say.

Reactions: Unsustainable

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Braun has been a top shutdown defenseman for a big portion of his NHL career but I don’t think he’s at that level anymore. I do think he is still very responsible defensively in a 2nd pair role and he would be great with Hanifin.

I’m guessing Brock McGinn would be too valuable to be that + on top of Skinner. I would love to add him, though. Perhaps Braun, #21OV, and a mid-level prospect for Skinner and McGinn?

Since I was the one who originally made the proposal, I will say that I think Braun and 1st rounder is too much, but SJ doesn't have 2nd or even 3rd this year.

I think McGinn is going to make another step up this year. So too much to add to Skinner. What about Skinner for Braun and 2019 second?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad