LeBrun: Carolina will "absolutely" trade Skinner

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
As much as the leafs could use the hometown boy they aren't in a position to trade a D for a F. Even if that D is banned from playing game 7's going forward.

That D is practically a forward. Capable of putting up points but just not what the team needs now.

The way I see it, Babs still wants Ds playing on their strong side, making Dermott a capable 2nd pairing LD to replace Gards.

I’ve gone as far as proposing:
Nylander + Gardiner for Slavvin + Skinner
on the Leafs board.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Dont really feel like looking at the other pages so sorry if this has been asked but what would Carolina want for Skinner from AZ

Skinner has a NMC and is looking for an extension. Not sure he'd accept a deal to Arizona. I'd want Dvorak+ as a return. Would add more from the Canes side (Faulk?) to get Hjalmarsson as well.

Reactions: Unsustainable

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Apparently one of Colorado's writers heard they offered the 16th pick plus for Skinner, but Carolina asked for 16th + Jost. I think it was in one of their podcasts so I don't have a direct link. I seen someone mention it on the Avs board.

It might have been mentioned already, but I didn't see it here.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
That D is practically a forward. Capable of putting up points but just not what the team needs now.

The way I see it, Babs still wants Ds playing on their strong side, making Dermott a capable 2nd pairing LD to replace Gards.

I’ve gone as far as proposing:
Nylander + Gardiner for Slavvin + Skinner
on the Leafs board.

Slavin is as untouchable as Matthews. You'd be better off targeting Hanifin at that valuation.

Gardiner is the type of player the Canes are currently trying to trade (Faulk and Hanifin). There is no fit for him in Carolina. They already have Slavin, Hanifin, Haydn Fleury, and Jake Bean at LHD.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Apparently one of Colorado's writers heard they offered the 16th pick plus for Skinner, but Carolina asked for 16th + Jost. I think it was in one of their podcasts so I don't have a direct link. I seen someone mention it on the Avs board.

That would jive with the reports out of Carolina that Waddell is over-valuing the Canes assets. Waddell just said that his phone is ringing off the hook, so you can't blame him.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Ouch, that’s a lot for a just 1 guaranteed season of Skinner. If that was on the table for Skinner, CAR takes that all day but COL rightfully balks.

Jost is an interesting player. Wasn’t he drafted as a C?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Slavin is as untouchable as Matthews. You'd be better off targeting Hanifin at that valuation.

Gardiner is the type of player the Canes are currently trying to trade (Faulk and Hanifin). There is no fit for him in Carolina. They already have Slavin, Hanifin, Haydn Fleury, and Jake Bean at LHD.

According to what Waddell just said, they aren't trying to trade Hanifin. Could be all lip service, but he said their goal is to sign him long term and the whole "Hanifin is being shopped" is because one team called Waddell about him then that team leaked it to the media and suddenly his phone was ringing off the hook.

Skinner on the other hand, he pretty much insinuated he'd be moved.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
AJ Haefele from BSN Denver said yesterday that Joe Sakic asked for Skinner was told Tyson Jost + 16OA pick.

So a 20yo center with top 6 upside + a mid round first pick.

If that's the asking price he's going to stay in Carolina.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
According to what Waddell just said, they aren't trying to trade Hanifin. Could be all lip service, but he said their goal is to sign him long term and the whole "Hanifin is being shopped" is because one team called Waddell about him then leaked it to the media.

Skinner on the other hand, he pretty much insinuated he'd be moved.

Too strong. On the table might have been better. While Waddell said their goal was to sign Hanifin long-term, he didn’t exactly shut down the possibility of a trade.

I do think that it comes down to Faulk vs. Hanifin. One or both will be dealt. Both project as #3 next year but they are an awful 2nd pairing together. Faulk is much more likely to go of the two IMO.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Too strong. On the table might have been better. While Waddell said their goal was to sign Hanifin long-term, he didn’t exactly shut down the possibility of a trade.

True, but he hasn't exactly shut down the possibility of a trade of the #2OA either. I think "unavailable at any reasonable price" probably applies only 5 guys on the Canes, the #2OA and Necas.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Jeff Skinner fits in with the Colorado Avalanche or the Los Angeles Kings,He only fits in San Jose if the Sharks lose out on Tavares and Kovalchuck

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
That's the kind of asking price that gets your number blocked, not the kind of asking price that gets the conversation started.

Nah, that's how fan's on HF look at it, that GM's get offended by high asking prices, but I bet it happens way more than people think and GMs know the game.

Sakic was asking for a 1st round pick, a NHL ready high potential defenseman, and a top prospect for Duchene and MANY fans of other teams all said the same thing, the asking price is ridiculous, he'll get his number blocked, blah, blah, blah. Teams still negotiated with him and he eventually got pretty much what he was asking for.

I don't think Skinner would ever get that return though (1st + Jost), so I agree with you on that. I think it's probably a deadline type deal or slightly better, which is a mid-late 1st and a decent, but not top, prospect or depth player, but have no issue with a GM's initial ask being higher.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ouch, that’s a lot for a just 1 guaranteed season of Skinner. If that was on the table for Skinner, CAR takes that all day but COL rightfully balks.

Jost is an interesting player. Wasn’t he drafted as a C?

Yeah he had some stretches where he was ok at center, but a lot of us are thinking he may be a winger in the future. Hes really good along the wall for a 19 year old who still needs strength. He flashed plenty of skill too, but his two way game will need work. At least he has the work ethic and a history of being a smart two-way player though.

I highly doubt they'd include him in a trade for Skinner even if they knew Skinner would extend ahead of time though.

I just wanted to point out that there was at least a rumor that the teams had talked regarding 16th O/A. I'm not surprised the second piece was a high ask this early.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Nah, that's how fan's on HF look at it, that GM's get offended by high asking prices, but I bet it happens way more than people think and GMs know the game.

Sakic was asking for a 1st round pick, a NHL ready high potential defenseman, and a top prospect for Duchene and MANY fans of other teams all said the same thing, the asking price is ridiculous, he'll get his number blocked, blah, blah, blah. Teams still negotiated with him and he eventually got pretty much what he was asking for.

I don't think Skinner would ever get that return though (1st + Jost), so I agree with you on that. I think it's probably a deadline type deal or slightly better, which is a mid-late 1st and a decent, but not top, prospect or depth player, but have no issue with a GM's initial ask being higher.

I do think that 16OA + a small add is reasonable.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Jeff Skinner fits in with the Colorado Avalanche or the Los Angeles Kings,He only fits in San Jose if the Sharks lose out on Tavares and Kovalchuck

Can you imagine...Skinner and Kane....Wings of Redemption.

Those guys both had some electric skill and some serious hype entering the league

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Can you imagine...Skinner and Kane....Wings of Redemption.

Those guys both had some electric skill and some serious hype entering the league

I don’t see the appeal for SJ.

Your 2 highest paid forwards would be $7 million LWs Jeff Skinner and Evander Kane? Good luck. Better be nailing your Draft picks. And I say this as a Canes fan that would love the demand for Skinner to include the Sharks.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I don’t see the appeal for SJ.

Your 2 highest paid forwards would be $7 million LWs Jeff Skinner and Evander Kane? Good luck. Better be nailing your Draft picks. And I say this as a Canes fan that would love the demand for Skinner to include the Sharks.

Or they should target Panarin, who is much better than Skinner :)

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Or they should target Panarin, who is much better than Skinner :)

Definitely. Skinner has a NMC so he gets to pick his next destination. Given the teams with reported interest, it appears that an extension is a realistic possibility.

Some teams will prefer getting a guy who waived his NMC for them and likely signs an extension. Some teams will prefer to gamble on the better player whose recently said he’s not willing to talk contracts right now. That’s probably why you see a team like Buffalo reportedly interested in Skinner. Panarin’s market might be heavier Cup contenders.

And while Panarin most likely stays, it seems almost certain that Skinner will move.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad