LeBrun: Carolina will "absolutely" trade Skinner

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Skinner is literally the same size as Crosby.

His baby face kills his appearance, but he’s not very good defensively.
That’s more what I was alluding to.

He won’t provide Jost with the defensive insulation, nor a physical one.

While he may not be small per se, he doesn’t play a “big” game.

Again, just being the messenger on potential reasons why the Avs wouldn’t be interested.

Another reason could be the Avs are potentially going for Stastny, which would move Jost to the wing.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I don't think his NMC will be much of an issue at all. Skinner wants to make the playoffs as he never has in his career. The only teams that would be interested in Skinner with 1 year left on his deal, are likely playoff teams. He probably wants to move on as much as Carolina wants to move on.
He needs to have a chat with Duchene first.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Probably makes more sense to deal him at the trade deadline, no? What if Carolina makes a run? Wouldn't they want Skinner in that case?

Reactions: Negan4Coach

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Probably makes more sense to deal him at the trade deadline, no? What if Carolina makes a run? Wouldn't they want Skinner in that case?
Depends honestly. If the Canes are moving Faulk as well and can bring in a Faulk replacement for Skinner it makes sense.

Say something like:
To Chicago:
Faulk, Darling (w retention)
To Carolina:
Saad, Hossa, pick

then
To LA:
Skinner
To Carolina:
Martinez

suddenly makes a lot of sense for the Canes, though not sure if that's a move that LA makes... though it's possible if they are bringing Voynov back.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Depends honestly. If the Canes are moving Faulk as well and can bring in a Faulk replacement for Skinner it makes sense.

Say something like:
To Chicago:
Faulk, Darling (w retention)
To Carolina:
Saad, Hossa, pick

then
To LA:
Skinner
To Carolina:
Martinez

suddenly makes a lot of sense for the Canes, though not sure if that's a move that LA makes... though it's possible if they are bringing Voynov back.

Not bad. My only concern would be if LA loses Doughty, that D is suddenly barren as all hell.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
That’s more what I was alluding to.

He won’t provide Jost with the defensive insulation, nor a physical one.

While he may not be small per se, he doesn’t play a “big” game.

Again, just being the messenger on potential reasons why the Avs wouldn’t be interested.

Another reason could be the Avs are potentially going for Stastny, which would move Jost to the wing.

He’s not a power forward, and you will need a good center to protect his mental lapses in the D zone. But he does provide great offense on his own.

Reactions: sheriff bart

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
Blake has pretty much said hes not trading picks or young and youngish prospects for a rental. I dont see it unless it's like Martinez for Skinner. Which why would Carolina do?

A Kings insider was saying that Kings could offer a package of Forbort, Brodzinski and a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Other than that there’s not much we can do.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Again, the HF mentality. "It's better to get full value in a trade for a player than get a few years of play out of him instead."

Hawks should be moving Saad right now then. Who cares if he can help the team today, his value will only decrease as he gets closer to UFA.
But you could have gotten more for Skinner in 2016. Now that he's leaving, you really expect a first and a good prospect? Too much. And Skinner is much better then saad so I would expect less.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
If SJ is in the conversation AND if the Chicago rumor pans out and Saad comes back for Faulk, then I like Braun and first rounder from SJ. Are the Sharks willing to do this?
I don't think you get both for one year of Skinner. Especially since the Sharks are in conversations with Kovalchuk.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
He’s not a power forward, and you will need a good center to protect his mental lapses in the D zone. But he does provide great offense on his own.
Undoubtedly.

The Avs need more offense on that second line, and they need proper defensive insulation for Jost. Skinner more than satisfies the offensive part. And that’s the main reason most Avs fans are willing to trade for him. We also don’t think re-signing him would be an issue at all, with Landeskog and him being supposedly very good friends.

Problem is, I don’t think the avs will make two separate moves to solve their 2nd line, or to be honest, any at all.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
But you could have gotten more for Skinner in 2016. Now that he's leaving, you really expect a first and a good prospect? Too much. And Skinner is much better then saad so I would expect less.

If the goal of a team is to get the most value for each player, then sure, but that's not the goal of a team. Like I said, the Canes fully expected to make the playoffs last season, even sent out a letter implying that before the season started. Their goal wasn't to get the most value for their players, it was to win.

And yes, at the deadline, I would expect Skinner to get a mid-late 1st and a good (but not great) prospect. That's pretty reasonable based on prior deadline deals. Andrej Sekera got a 1st (21st pick) and Roland McKeown. Eric Staal, who had a brutal season at the time of the trade, got 2 second round picks and Alexi Saarela.

What he'll get right now? Who knows as I'm not sure what the Canes are looking for, but a mid-late 1st and a good (but not great) prospect isn't unreasonable.

Unsustainable

Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Undoubtedly.

The Avs need more offense on that second line, and they need proper defensive insulation for Jost. Skinner more than satisfies the offensive part. And that’s the main reason most Avs fans are willing to trade for him. We also don’t think re-signing him would be an issue at all, with Landeskog and him being supposedly very good friends.

Problem is, I don’t think the avs will make two separate moves to solve their 2nd line, or to be honest, any at all.

Yeah, I see that, how is Jost looking? I liked him as a prospect, Avs are one the teams I like, but don’t follow closely (I love Colorado as a state, and would move there in a second if I could convince my wife lol)

Reactions: sheriff bart

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
If the goal of a team is to get the most value for each player, then sure, but that's not the goal of a team. Like I said, the Canes fully expected to make the playoffs last season, even sent out a letter implying that before the season started. Their goal wasn't to get the most value for their players, it was to win.

And yes, at the deadline, I would expect Skinner to get a mid-late 1st and a good (but not great) prospect. That's pretty reasonable based on prior deadline deals. Andrej Sekera got a 1st (21st pick) and Roland McKeown. Eric Staal, who had a brutal season at the time of the trade, got 2 second round picks and Alexi Saarela.

What he'll get right now? Who knows as I'm not sure what the Canes are looking for, but a mid-late 1st and a good (but not great) prospect isn't unreasonable.
IMO, it’s very reasonable.

Obviously depending on the prospect.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
A thirty goal winger, it's not like every team in the league doesn't already have one or three and you can always just sign one every off season. I'm sure Skinner will return a boat load.

Above average talent + PP minutes = 25-30 goal scoring winner, not hard to find

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, I see that, how is Jost looking? I liked him as a prospect, Avs are one the teams I like, but don’t follow closely (I love Colorado as a state, and would move there in a second if I could convince my wife lol)
Jost got better and better as the season progressed.

Some don’t think he showed enough last year to pivot the 2nd line, which I would agree with. So the ultimate goal is to surround him properly, to maximize his development, rather than to ask him to sink or swim with some kind of combo of Andrighetto/Kamenev/Kerfoot/Wilson as his wingers.

Just not an ideal situation.

The other angle is the avs could go out and trade for a 2C, or sign Stastny, and that would probably be a better alternative.

Unsustainable

Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Jost got better and better as the season progressed.

Some don’t think he showed enough last year to pivot the 2nd line, which I would agree with. So the ultimate goal is to surround him properly, to maximize his development, rather than to ask him to sink or swim with some kind of combo of Andrighetto/Kamenev/Kerfoot/Wilson as his wingers.

Just not an ideal situation.

The other angle is the avs could go out and trade for a 2C, or sign Stastny, and that would probably be a better alternative.

Similar situation we are in with Center.

Necas is an unknown, Lindholm should be in center. I’d like to have Necas and Svechnikov on a line to develop together, but 2 rookies like that worries me.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Faulk or Skinner go at the draft for a package including a 1st. They other they may hold onto up until the trade deadline if a great offer doesn't appear. No need to rush on both of them. I'd prefer Faulk go first, tho. We're deep on defence and need Skinner's scoring more.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Similar situation we are in with Center.

Necas is an unknown, Lindholm should be in center. I’d like to have Necas and Svechnikov on a line to develop together, but 2 rookies like that worries me.
For sure, you always want your highest touted prospects to be properly slotted into the lineup, rather than to force them to learn at an accelerated pace.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
My guess is that SJ is only in this because LA is involved and they're looking to drive up the price. Sharks already have too many forwards/wingers. I don't know if Carolina is being money conscious at this stage with their new owner but if they are then Boedker makes sense as part of a deal. If they don't plan on returning a d-man when they move someone like Faulk then I could see Braun being returned or DeMelo and adjusting the other assets depending on which. I doubt that Dell is in these discussions but if Carolina asked, I'd be all for that. Sharks could find a backup elsewhere if necessary or let Antoine Bibeau take over there. I don't think I'd give up #21 for Skinner but I would probably put Norris (last year's 1st rounder) on the table. I want them to draft one of the many d-men that could be a solid player this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad