LeBrun: Carolina Interested in Petry. Price is high

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Interesting
he previously said "I believe"

Not this time. He confirmed it with an affirmation on live tv.

Sorry Canes fans saying that you wouldn't even give a 1st for Petry, your GM seems high on him aswell for your starting offer to be Bean + 1st.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

Sorry Canes fans saying that you wouldn't even give a 1st for Petry, your GM seems high on him aswell for your starting offer to be Bean + 1st.
Its certainly not enough

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
with Carolina's goaltending I read this as them interested in both petry AND price

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I get that they want to be a contender and get the best players possible, but why trade a ton for Petry when you already have Hamilton and Pesce on RD when healthy and you only need a Hamilton replacement for this year? I think it makes more sense for them to trade less for a rental Vatanen over paying a fortune to convince Montreal to trade Petry.

There's a pretty big difference between Petry and Vantanen.

How does it "make more sense" to stick a band aid on the problem rather then getting surgery to fix it?

You presenting Vatanen as an alternative option that "makes more sense" as if its remotely the same thing as getting Jeff Petry.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
There's a pretty big difference between Petry and Vantanen.

How does it "make more sense" to stick a band aid on the problem rather then getting surgery to fix it?

You presenting Vatanen as an alternative option that "makes more sense" as if its remotely the same thing as getting Jeff Petry.

Do you frequently get surgery to treat a skinned knee?

Sometimes a band-aid is the right solution. We don't need a top-pair D for the next 2 years at an expensive price-tag; we need a 4-6 passable solution cheap.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Carolina in interested in every defensemen, hence they're interested in no one in particular, hence they will make a shocking move that no one predicts will happen. That's been their MO for the entire year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think it could be a very smart move. Petry is exactly what they want NOW. If they feel they don't need him anymore at the draft, they'll recoup a lot of assets, especially if they find him somewhere that he wants to sign long term. Pacioretty got quite the haul as a September trade.

If they go in the playoffs with that top 4, I don't like their chances. With Petry, I think they could surprise. If he performs well in the playoffs, his value increases even more.

That'd be a smart deal, instead of trading 2nd+3rd for a Dillon type of D.
Of course you think it’s a smart deal. You’re a Habs fan that wants a great return for your player and you’ll rationalize what’s good/smart for another team.

I’d rather pay less for a rental than top dollar for a guy and plan to flip him in a few months for less.

btw, has that ever happened before? A team trades for a guy at the deadline with another year on his deal, then moves him in June? Seems like a great HF proposal, and not do practical in The real world.

If they trade for him, I doubt it’s with the intention of moving him shortly thereafter.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Of course you think it’s a smart deal. You’re a Habs fan that wants a great return for your player and you’ll rationalize what’s good/smart for another team.

I’d rather pay less for a rental than top dollar for a guy and plan to flip him in a few months for less.

btw, has that ever happened before? A team trades for a guy at the deadline with another year on his deal, then moves him in June? Seems like a great HF proposal, and not do practical in The real world.

If they trade for him, I doubt it’s with the intention of moving him shortly thereafter.
Tatar

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
True. But he was bad in Vegas and that worked out so well for Vegas. Not sure I’d want to use that as an example .

Vegas gave up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd to Detroit and Suzuki and a second to MTL and ended up with Pacioretti.

sure hope the Canes don’t follow that path.

Again, I’m not saying that the Canes won’t trade for Petry, just that I’d be shocked if the intent was to flip him in June like that poster suggested.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
True. But he was bad in Vegas and that worked out so well for Vegas. Not sure I’d want to use that as an example .

Vegas gave up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd to Detroit and Suzuki and a second to MTL and ended up with Pacioretti.

sure hope the Canes don’t follow that path.

Again, I’m not saying that the Canes won’t trade for Petry, just that I’d be shocked if the intent was to flip him in June like that poster suggested.
I mean the canes have been trying to get rid of gardiner so why not a gardiner++ for petry?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I mean the canes have been trying to get rid of gardiner so why not a gardiner++ for petry?
I wouldn’t be surprised if MTL is on his NTC .
mid not, clearly it depends on what the ++ is. I doubt Canes and Habs fans would come to agreement so I won’t try to even argue it.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Would need a third piece and that 1st better be Toronto’s.
Crazier things have happened so who knows maybe gardiner has the habs on his 7 team no trade list and the canes are trying to convince him waive so the trade can go through who knows at this point.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I wouldn’t be surprised if MTL is on his NTC .
mid not, clearly it depends on what the ++ is. I doubt Canes and Habs fans would come to agreement so I won’t try to even argue it.
Hey we are all here to suggest things and talk hockey as long as people arent becoming sarcastic a holes about it and can discuss things in a civil matter. You can suggest whatever you want lol.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Petry (imo) is clearly worth a 1st and prospect. Not convinced it makes sense for Carolina, but it’s not unreasonable.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Crazier things have happened so who knows maybe gardiner has the habs on his 7 team no trade list and the canes are trying to convince him waive so the trade can go through who knows at this point.

I'd hate Gardiner on the Habs. Plus, I doubt that Montreal is looking to add Gardiner to the deal if they are already receiving a LHD in the deal

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Hey we are all here to suggest things and talk hockey as long as people arent becoming sarcastic a holes about it and can discuss things in a civil matter. You can suggest whatever you want lol.

very true. I just find trade proposals usually aren’t civil. :laugh:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I’m going to wait for him to say this on Insider Trading/a radio spot or write it in a column/tweet. That’s a notable rumor. He’ll get it out in another channel tonight/tomorrow, if accurate.

LeBrun, Friedman, McKenzie, etc. are careful with how they phrase things. The interpretation of what they say is unreliable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad