LeBrun: Carolina Interested in Petry. Price is high

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I'd hate Gardiner on the Habs. Plus, I doubt that Montreal is looking to add Gardiner to the deal if they are already receiving a LHD in the deal
Oh I would hate it also but if its a chance for us to get some good prospects and first round picks I would do it Habs arent winning anything with this team anyways.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
I really dislike that Lebrun has been on such a speculation train lately. I get he's more creditable than any of us, but he's just guessing around. I have mixed feelings with The Athletic as a whole but paying for speculation when a million other places have it for free

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I’m going to wait for him to say this on Insider Trading/a radio spot or write it in a column/tweet. That’s a notable rumor. He’ll get it out in another channel tonight/tomorrow, if accurate.

LeBrun, Friedman, McKenzie, etc. are careful with how they phrase things. The interpretation of what they say is unreliable.

Reactions: Roadhouse

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Then there’s the above.

I’ll not claim to have the ability to accurately translate, but according to the above tweet-“hard to tell...” if there actually was an offer...

Please excuse Canes’ fans pessimism on what comes out from Canadian media such as RDS, whose site has housed numerous, completely unfounded rumors when it came to relocation of the Hurricanes.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Montreal have specific needs :
1st pairing LD
2nd pairing LD
1st line RW
1st line LW
1st line C

Montreal won't trade Petry if the return doesn't include an A level prospect or current roster player that can fill any of the positions of need.

Add a #2 RD if PEtry gets traded

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
In his latest article, Pierre Lebrun said that Carolina - among many other teams - are very interested in Petry . Offer would likely be 2020 first round pick and Jake Bean and that wouldn’t (most likely) cut it for Montreal.
Carolina is crazy trading those young guys for Petry.....if I'm Montreal and they offer a first and bean I'd jump all over it.....Canes are crazy they have s good thing going....if you want to trade firsts and top prospects do it for a guy that is young as well or locked it a good low term.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Even Lebrun prefaces what he's saying here with "I believe...." or "I think that...."

This is literally just opinion based speculation being pawned off as a story. This is the same kind of behavior that caused people like Eklund to basically get blackballed on this site.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I really dislike that Lebrun has been on such a speculation train lately. I get he's more creditable than any of us, but he's just guessing around. I have mixed feelings with The Athletic as a whole but paying for speculation when a million other places have it for free

I agree - i see it as selling out. Athletic was THE source, IMO. Everything MacKenzie said was pretty much gold. Nowadays, clicks are where all hte money is at. Just look at all the non-articles that are basically not saying anything, like "Team getting calls on ______" when it's obvious that every GM would call on players to see what's available.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Friedman said Carolina made Bean + 1st an offer for MTL so idk what to believe

Lebrun said the same. Personally, i dont see this happening unless an RD comes back. Since the playoffs are about to start, Mtl is not likely to get a top 4 D roster player with term as part of the deal. This means that we dont have anything concrete to replace him with. I dont see this happening until this summer, at least.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Someone needs to get through to Carey he can’t be smoking that stuff he’s the starting goaltender and face of the franchise.

Not sure what that has to do with Carolina acquiring petry tho ?

:laugh:

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
I agree - i see it as selling out. Athletic was THE source, IMO. Everything MacKenzie said was pretty much gold. Nowadays, clicks are where all hte money is at. Just look at all the non-articles that are basically not saying anything, like "Team getting calls on ______" when it's obvious that every GM would call on players to see what's available.

I don't mind reporting on teams calling about certain players as long as that isn't the entire article since that is real news. What I have a problem with is these reporters literally just speculating and putting it on a paid platform as a main article.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad