LeBrun: Carolina Interested in Petry. Price is high

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Pesce is a solid top 4D at the age of 25 and just entering prime years. How much more room does he have to grow or is what you see is what you get moving forward. That's guess work.
Pesce is, at worst, a 2D on just about every team in the NHL. He would be the best D on a good amount of teams.
It's amazing that a defeneseman can have a year where he puts up 50 points and he instantly becomes a stud, but a guy who can be relied upon to shut down the opponents top line is almost always undervalued.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pesce is, at worst, a 2D on just about every team in the NHL. He would be the best D on a good amount of teams.
It's amazing that a defeneseman can have a year where he puts up 50 points and he instantly becomes a stud, but a guy who can be relied upon to shut down the opponents top line is almost always undervalued.

Nah... he's not at that level yet. Maybe on his way to become that but today, he is a solid top 4D. You can make an argument he is an above average top 4D. His real value is his age and cap hit and the production you get from him from 25-30/31. If he grows more than who he is today, then yeah, he becomes a fringe top pairing guy. That's guess work

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Faulk was a 35-40 points, 2nd pairing RHD for the Canes.
Petry would be a 35-40 point, 2nd pairing RHD with the Canes.

Faulk (with an extension in place) got Bokk + Edmundson. That is about the price I'd see the Canes offering for Petry.

Canes already have two better RHD in Dougie Hamilton and Brett Pesce. Maybe some team would overpay for position but it isn't the Canes.

Faulk produces points but was a defensive liability (still is)

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
This garbage is why I hate insiders. Makes up pure bs for clicks. Theres little to no chance a club with Pesce and Hamilton is interested in paying a high price for Petry

Pesce did play LD next to Faulk down the stretch last season. A defenseman with term being right-handed is not an issue. Carolina's current competitive position, player quality*, contract term to acquisition cost and the expansion draft are the hurdles that make this so unlikely on Carolina's side.

* Slavin-Hamilton-Pesce is an excellent Top 3. If Petry is as good as the suggested return, Carolina doesn't need him. A 2nd best defenseman on a 2nd pair-type (a #4 defenseman) rounds out the group.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

The Marsh King

Feb 7, 2020
Err...who cares? The real question for the Habs is who plays on the left playing BESIDE Weber. Whether Weber gets hurt or not, the Habs have no credible player playing 1st pairing LD. Actually, it's debatable if they even have a 2nd pairing LD.
Having a need for LHD doesn't discount my point, which is that we can't trade Petry because I feel that we can't rely on Weber to be healthy going forward and Petry is our only other reliable top pairing option. So if we don't have quality LHD, trading Petry also rids us of RHD that we can really rely on.

So, back to my original post: Unless a Tatar trade (or Domi or whoever) brings in a top pair quality defender that can step in the next time Weber gets injured, MB shouldn't trade Petry.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
R. Suzuki has disappointed but I want Nick's brother on the same team.. would be fun. But we gonna need a lot more than him for #1D Petry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This garbage is why I hate insiders. Makes up pure bs for clicks. Theres little to no chance a club with Pesce and Hamilton is interested in paying a high price for Petry
If Habs have all these players who are worth so much, why are they losing? Sometimes the players need to be accepted as the ones behind the losing.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
I've never heard a rumor with Bergevin at the helm that actually happened. Somehow he keeps everything to himself. If he is making deals nobody will hear about it until it is announced. I don't know he keeps things quiet in montreal but he does. As for petry i dont think he goes anywhere. Tatar i believe will be dealt though

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
I've never heard a rumor with Bergevin at the helm that actually happened. Somehow he keeps everything to himself. If he is making deals nobody will hear about it until it is announced. I don't know he keeps things quiet in montreal but he does. As for petry i dont think he goes anywhere. Tatar i believe will be dealt though
Not entirely true. Rumor swirled around Subban before his no trade kicked in, and even though he said he had no plans to trade him, he got traded.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Not entirely true. Rumor swirled around Subban before his no trade kicked in, and even though he said he had no plans to trade him, he got traded.
It still came as a surprise though. Nobody knew he was being dealt to nashville for weber. Most were just speculating the best time to trade him was before july 1 before his ntc kicked in.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Nah... he's not at that level yet. Maybe on his way to become that but today, he is a solid top 4D. You can make an argument he is an above average top 4D. His real value is his age and cap hit and the production you get from him from 25-30/31. If he grows more than who he is today, then yeah, he becomes a fringe top pairing guy. That's guess work
And you are making this assessment based on what exactly?
He is a top 2 defender all day every day. You may not agree, but you would be wrong.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
If Habs have all these players who are worth so much, why are they losing? Sometimes the players need to be accepted as the ones behind the losing.
They expected more of the young players Kotkaniemi, Poehling and Fleury. Mete is limited. So they were forced to play too many bad vets. No depth is huge problem.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
If you know anything about the Habs you would know that they have a 5 lane highway funnelled straight to Price on the left side. I.e. they have no 1st pairing LD and debateable that they even have a 2nd pairing LD. They do have a legion of 4th pairing LD's though. Weber, their #1 RD is slowing down and seems to be getting hurt more often. When Weber and Petry are healthy, the right side is solid but every team can cut through their left side like swiss cheese. During just one game the opposition had a 3 on 0, a 3 on 1, a couple 2 on 0's, a number of 2 on 1's and a ton of 1 on 0's. All told, I think we counted 12 of the above. 4 breakaways in one game is a 'good' game for this defence. And it doesn't help that Price is being overworked having played 51 games already with seemingly no letup when it's quite obvious that he shouldn't be playing as much at this point in his career. And people wonder why Price's numbers aren't so hot.

Coupled with this is that their #1 C is Phillip Danault (who I think should be a solid 3rd C) who might be having a career year this year with a projection of 55 pts (Oh, and this is Tatar's C). Tatar is great but he isn't a superstar. The closest to a superstar they have is Kovalchuk and possibly Suzuki if he takes a large leap forward (i.e. unlikely). So yeah, offensively, the Habs are missing quite a few important pieces and leaves a lot to be desired.

So yeah, Habs have some pieces like every team. The team sucks because they also have huge gaping holes in other positions.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad