LeBrun: Carolina Interested in Petry. Price is high

webdev

Nov 3, 2017
The price should be high. He's one of a very few Habs players I'd want. For a good playoff team this year he's perfect. Pens should be all over this to get that second line going.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I've never heard a rumor with Bergevin at the helm that actually happened. Somehow he keeps everything to himself. If he is making deals nobody will hear about it until it is announced. I don't know he keeps things quiet in montreal but he does. As for petry i dont think he goes anywhere. Tatar i believe will be dealt though

Only rumors that I remember ever coming true about the habs under Bergevin was the PA Parenteau trade, and the Danault trade. Can't remember who leaked the PAP trade, but a Blackhawks writer on, believe it or not, HockeyBuzz leaked Bergevin's interest in Danault about 2 months before he was traded to the Habs.

Bergevin does a pretty good job at locking down rumours, but it takes two to tango.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hamilton is injured.
For the ~next 2 months. They would still have Hamilton, Pesce and Petry (if a deal went through) next year and then both Petry and Hamilton would need to be re-signed after next season (and be protected). Not saying it won’t happen, but seems like it would cost too much for a short term hole and cause some issues trying to sign both of them as well.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
For the ~next 2 months. They would still have Hamilton, Pesce and Petry (if a deal went through) next year and then both Petry and Hamilton would need to be re-signed after next season (and be protected). Not saying it won’t happen, but seems like it would cost too much for a short term hole and cause some issues trying to sign both of them as well.

Pesce has played the left side before, which could mitigate that. Carolina's contention window is now. I can see the rationale for not adding Petry, but he certainly is a huge add for this season and still helps next year.

Slavin - Hamilton
Pesce - Petry

That's a top-four of four guys I would grade out as, at minimum, top-pairing calibre.

Reactions: Jerkob Slavin

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Pesce has played the left side before, which could mitigate that.

fair point.

Carolina's contention window is now.

I disagree. I think they are still very young and a couple years away. Boston, WSH, TBL, and PIT are a clear tier ahead of them IMO.

I can see the rationale for not adding Petry, but he certainly is a huge add for this season and still helps next year.

Slavin - Hamilton
Pesce - Petry

That's a top-four of four guys I would grade out as, at minimum, top-pairing calibre.

no doubt he’d help, but IMO the cost would be too high. first, as I said, I think their window is still a couple years away. Reportedly, Brind’Amour said the same thing recently (I didn’t hear/read it, but someone on the Canes board posted it). Secondly, as I said it causes some issues with Hamilton and Petry needing deals (and they will be expensive) as well as Svechnikov all at the same time.

it all comes down to cost and I think it will be too steep.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Yeah, Carolina would never trade a D just after trading for him.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I disagree. I think they are still very young and a couple years away. Boston, WSH, TBL, and PIT are a clear tier ahead of them IMO.

no doubt he’d help, but IMO the cost would be too high. first, as I said, I think their window is still a couple years away. Reportedly, Brind’Amour said the same thing recently (I didn’t hear/read it, but someone on the Canes board posted it). Secondly, as I said it causes some issues with Hamilton and Petry needing deals (and they will be expensive) as well as Svechnikov all at the same time.

it all comes down to cost and I think it will be too steep.

That's why I really think their window is now (and next season). Capitalize on Hamilton's current contract and Svechnikov's ELC. Guys like McGinn, Martinook, Wallmark, Foegele are up next season too. They'll also need raises or need to be replaced. It'll be harder to improve the team with Dougie + Svech eating a much higher percentage of the cap. Petry will be expensive but the Canes do have some extra draft capital this year. In addition to a very deep prospect pool.

They beat Washington on the way to the ECF last year. And based on their underlying numbers, I definitely think they can hang with those elite teams.

Now I'm not a die-hard Canes fan. So I'm not nearly as in tune with their needs. But I do like Carolina and would like to see them go on a run. I was cheering for them last year (and I put some money on them to win the Cup this year!!!)

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, Carolina would never trade a D just after trading for him.
Not sure what that has to do with what I posted? Are you suggesting the Canes would give up valuable assets for Petry, only to trade him next year? That doesn’t make much sense.

And for the record, the Canes have traded 3 Defenseman under Waddell/Dundon. Hanifin(drafted), Faulk (drafted) and DeHann(UFA signing), so they haven’t traded a defenseman after trading for him.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Not sure what that has to do with what I posted? Are you suggesting the Canes would give up valuable assets for Petry, only to trade him next year? That doesn’t make much sense.

And for the record, the Canes have traded 3 Defenseman under Waddell/Dundon. Hanifin(drafted), Faulk (drafted) and DeHann(UFA signing), so they haven’t traded a defenseman after trading for him.
Just refering to the De Haan trade and the Gardiner rumors.

Should have written "soon after acquiring him". My main point is Hamilton is injured, and they lack a top 4 RHD badly. If they trade for Petry for this run and end up trading him in June if Hamilton is 100% recovered, I would not act surprised given the way they wheel and deal those Ds.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
That's why I really think their window is now (and next season). Capitalize on Hamilton's current contract and Svechnikov's ELC. Guys like McGinn, Martinook, Wallmark, Foegele are up next season too. They'll also need raises or need to be replaced. It'll be harder to improve the team with Dougie + Svech eating a much higher percentage of the cap. Petry will be expensive but the Canes do have some extra draft capital this year. In addition to a very deep prospect pool.

They beat Washington on the way to the ECF last year. And based on their underlying numbers, I definitely think they can hang with those elite teams.

Now I'm not a die-hard Canes fan. So I'm not nearly as in tune with their needs. But I do like Carolina and would like to see them go on a run. I was cheering for them last year (and I put some money on them to win the Cup this year!!!)

I get what you are saying, but we’ll just respectfully disagree. Thankfully, Canes have Slavin, Pesce, Teravainen, and evening Aho (actual dollars are much lower in years 3-5 ) on great contracts, when Svechnikov and Hamilton need deals so signing them shouldn’t be an issue at all. With a strong prospect pool, 12 picks last year, getting Bokk and Priskie, and having 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds in this draft, they should have no problem backfilling bottom six guys with guys on ELCs.

of course I have no idea what Waddell/Dundon think, although Dundon said they aren’t looking for short term fixes yesterday on the radio, so I won’t rule anything out.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Just refering to the De Haan trade and the Gardiner rumors.

Should have written "soon after acquiring him". My main point is Hamilton is injured, and they lack a top 4 RHD badly. If they trade for Petry for this run and end up trading him in June if Hamilton is 100% recovered, I would not act surprised given the way they wheel and deal those Ds.

I think it’s easy to trade a guy you got for free, like De Hann (or Gardiner if they move him)

it’s much more painful to pay a bunch to trade for a guy and flip him a few months later. Dundon said they aren’t looking at short term solutions, so if they were to acquire Petry, I’d be shocked if it was only for this run.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I think it’s easy to trade a guy you got for free, like De Hann (or Gardiner if they move him)

it’s much more painful to pay a bunch to trade for a guy and flip him a few months later. Dundon said they aren’t looking at short term solutions, so if they were to acquire Petry, I’d be shocked if it was only for this run.
I think it could be a very smart move. Petry is exactly what they want NOW. If they feel they don't need him anymore at the draft, they'll recoup a lot of assets, especially if they find him somewhere that he wants to sign long term. Pacioretty got quite the haul as a September trade.

If they go in the playoffs with that top 4, I don't like their chances. With Petry, I think they could surprise. If he performs well in the playoffs, his value increases even more.

That'd be a smart deal, instead of trading 2nd+3rd for a Dillon type of D.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
makes no sense why would canes even be thinking this? They would have hamilton pesce and petry on the right side next year. Only makes sense if they wanna do it straight up for gardiner which the habs would never do.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Hamilton is injured.

I know but for how long? Petry only has another year left so unless Montreal was taking Gardiner back this really doesn’t make sense. The expansion draft would be tough too if they have to protect Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton and Petry on the backend. Right now they can protect the 3 big guns on D and 7 forwards leaving a player like Gardiner exposed. And not give up multiple futures. I just think it’s a bad move if Carolina did this

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
All that for Petry?? Jesus Christ. If that’s the price, Cam Fowler and Manson on the Ducks must be 2 firsts +

Lebrun just confirmed on RDS that the Canes offers Bean + 1st pick 2020 minimum and Montreal isn't ready to move Petry for that. At that price they would prefer to resign Petry. So yeah, that's the price if he gets traded or MB just won't move him.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Lebrun just confirmed on RDS that the Canes offers Bean + 1st pick 2020 minimum and Montreal isn't ready to move Petry for that. At that price they would prefer to resign Petry. So yeah, that's the price if he gets traded or MB just won't move him.
He didnt confirm any of that

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
He didnt confirm any of that

'' Mes informations me disent que les Hurricanes sont prêt à payer Bean + un de leur premier choix pour les services de Jeff[...] ''
'' My contact tells me that the Hurricanes are ready to give up Bean and a first pick, either one, for Petry[...] ''

Said that on Hockey360 prior to the Habs game.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
'' Mes informations me disent que les Hurricanes sont prêt à payer Bean + un de leur premier choix pour les services de Jeff[...] ''
'' My contact tells me that the Hurricanes are ready to give up Bean and a first pick, either one, for Petry[...] ''

Said that on Hockey360 prior to the Habs game.
Interesting
he previously said "I believe"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad